• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
If you have 15.4kW, chances are you already have them split. My 50kW is split between 5 different inverters as an example, only 2 of which land on my microgrid (SMA Sunny Island)

The electrician/installer should be able to redirect/replace one of your existing inverters with this one.

What are you doing?! Running a crypto farm?
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
What are you doing?! Running a crypto farm?
I'd need more for a crypto farm, but that's not a bad idea for the heat generation alone.

When I first installed my first system (10kW) I averaged 20-25kWh/day of usage, which is in line with the national average. That comes out to roughly 8-9mWh/year.

Since then, I've moved my entire home to electrical. We're talking septic pump, well pump, hot water heater, 7-tons of AC/Heat Pump, stovetop, washer/dryer, oven, and 3 EVs. Literally everything is electrical with zero consumption of oil, gas, natural gas, propane, etc.

To keep up, I had to bump up my solar output and as a result my 50kW of solar produces roughly 55mWh/year or an average of 150kWh/day. The EVs take the most energy, we do on average 200 miles a day between all the cars at an average of 400Wh/mi. That's 80kWh/day just to charge the cars - assuming no efficiency losses. The reality is it's closer to 100kWh/day to charge all the cars.

At some point there will need to be one more car for the other kid and I will need to add another 15kW of solar on top of what I have currently. Space is becoming a problem...

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
I'd need more for a crypto farm, but that's not a bad idea for the heat generation alone.

When I first installed my first system (10kW) I averaged 20-25kWh/day of usage, which is in line with the national average. That comes out to roughly 8-9mWh/year.

Since then, I've moved my entire home to electrical. We're talking septic pump, well pump, hot water heater, 7-tons of AC/Heat Pump, stovetop, washer/dryer, oven, and 3 EVs. Literally everything is electrical with zero consumption of oil, gas, natural gas, propane, etc.

To keep up, I had to bump up my solar output and as a result my 50kW of solar produces roughly 55mWh/year or an average of 150kWh/day. The EVs take the most energy, we do on average 200 miles a day between all the cars at an average of 400Wh/mi. That's 80kWh/day just to charge the cars - assuming no efficiency losses. The reality is it's closer to 100kWh/day to charge all the cars.

At some point there will need to be one more car for the other kid and I will need to add another 15kW of solar on top of what I have currently. Space is becoming a problem...
If you have space on your land they make racks to install panels on other than the roof. Set them up on the south side of the home or in a field.

https://www.sgesolar.com/all-about-ground-mounts/

You can build them as easily to save some coin. Videos on youtube.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
If you have space on your land they make racks to install panels on other than the roof. Set them up on the south side of the home or in a field.

You build them as easily. Videos on youtube.
That's exactly my problem. They're all ground mount but I'm running out of ground.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
That's exactly my problem. They're all ground mount but I'm running out of ground.
Any reason you can't use your roof? That's where most systems get installed anyway. Mine is and all my neighbors the same. I wanted to completely cover my roof but they have a residential limit of 6kW in my area for grid tied. I could put more up but would have to have a battery setup for it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Integration Kit Data and Pricing For F-150 Lightning = $3,700 33732224308_6909ebd365_c

Last edited:

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
Until there is no fuel ?
Natural gas fed. Would take something close to a nuclear war in my area to knock out that supply.

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Integration Kit Data and Pricing For F-150 Lightning = $3,700 51937446155_3ae2dae72d_w

Last edited:

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Natural gas fed. Would take something close to a nuclear war in my area to knock out that supply.
It's less and less crazy to think someone could decide to shut your gas of for any number of reasons that's aren't nuclear war. During the Texas freeze last year, NG pressures dropped nearly to the point of shutoff for example. Might be a fine risk profile for you, but not like you are the first person to think of installing a fossil-fueled generator.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto tech
During the Texas freeze last year, NG pressures dropped nearly to the point of shutoff for example.
I remember that and why the pressure was depleted, frozen valves. It doesn't or should I say hasn't ever got that cold for that long where I am. (knock on wood) but point taken.

It's something I just don't worry about as I can easily flip a switch on the gen and use LPG to run it.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Any reason you can't use your roof? That's where most systems get installed anyway. Mine is and all my neighbors the same. I wanted to completely cover my roof but they have a residential limit of 6kW in my area for grid tied. I could put more up but would have to have a battery setup for it.

33732224308_6909ebd365_c.jpg
Cost, size and orientation.

It was about half the price to do a ground installation vs a roof installation. Then I factored in my 15 year roof would need replacing in about 10 years and it would cost $10,000 to uninstall and reinstall the panels at that point.

My roof also maxed out at about 12kW of panels. I could load the front side as well but I’d be paying for extra panels without the same output. On the ground they’re due south. My frontside would face northeast and would produce less than half what they do on the ground.

Id like to be completely on solar if possible but it’s got to work out financially too

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
How about a pole. Only 1 sq. ft. of ground and a little bit of blood every time you mow. You can locate the pole anywhere and rotate the array on the pole to whatever direction you want. And you can adjust the tilt seasonally if you live at a more northern latitude.

Ford F-150 Lightning Home Integration Kit Data and Pricing For F-150 Lightning = $3,700 ArrayS

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist

I'm just teasing because 15 could probably wipe out my elctric bill even with an EV. My 8 did it before we opened up the upstairs for our first.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
@Bandit216 Single pole mounted systems are not permitted/against code where I live.

I'm just teasing because 15 could probably wipe out my elctric bill even with an EV. My 8 did it before we opened up the upstairs for our first.
That's the correct solution right there which is to reduce consumption. I'm eyeing a geothermal system that should cut my hot water/heating/cooling energy consumption by about half. Siding is going to need to be done soon, so might as well put on another R-10's worth of exterior foam insulation and air sealing.

I'm also going to guess (hope) my kids will move out one day, that would also mean a LOT less energy consumption.
Sponsored