• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can I drive the truck using just the passcode?

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
In case no one has suggested it: get a faraday pouch for your fob, so you can leave it inside, lock up, and go.

Also, get a faraday pouch (or box) for your keyfobs at home. That will help prevent relay attacks.

Whatever form of faraday container you get, be sure to test it to verify that it actually works. Lots of crap on Amazon.

I can vouch for these two:

Faraday Key Fob Protector Box

Mission Darkness Faraday Bag
Sponsored

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I took a slightly different approach in that I popped the battery out of one of my FOBS and I keep that in the truck in a small ziplock as a backup in case the backup passcode does not work for some reason. Although I keep the battery with it I don't even think that is necessary as you can insert the batteryless FOB into the slot under the cupholder and it will allow you to start the truck.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
So I called my dealer today. They have the RFA update but also specific instructions not to release until they try the OTA. I asked dealer and FordPass they changed there time from soon to we have no clue by the time they done talking.

I downloaded for scan for doing firmware flashes but doesn’t recognize the lightning must be another version out there. I did get the new test version of basic so at least I can fix a few things.

Charley

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening
Occupation
Retired
Just as @RickLightning notes - in theory yes, once PAAK is released. You'll have to set that additional 8 character passcode up.

I relied heavily on this with Tesla, but it was easy to put the key card in my wallet and it was just always there. I was hopeful I wouldn't have to worry about carrying the large fob, but not sure that is feasible per history with the MachE. I don't every want to be stranded.

Another concern if you do decide to go without the fob, you'll want to make sure you have found that 3rd key (delivered with the truck) that will open the glovebox and release the spare and keep it in the truck. If you are out without your fob and have a flat, you'll need that key to get to the spare. It should be safe inside the truck. It will also unlock the door, but if someone finds the key in the truck, well, they are already past the door anyway.
I tried the passcode but unfortunately the phone has to be paired to the truck in order to use the keyless emergency passcode. I didn’t know the phone was unpaired. Now I’ve put a key in the truck. You can take the battery out if you’re worried about someone starting the truck. I also have the center console safe. That’s where I keep the spare key now.

Reactions: cal

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I tried the passcode but unfortunately the phone has to be paired to the truck in order to use the keyless emergency passcode. I didn’t know the phone was unpaired. Now I’ve put a key in the truck. You can take the battery out if you’re worried about someone starting the truck. I also have the center console safe. That’s where I keep the spare key now.
This is a zombie thread, but I'll correct this information for posterity. You do not need a phone to use the backup pass code. It would defeat the purpose of the backup pass code if you needed a phone. I don't recommend using the backup pass code for regular use because it's more of a process than just pressing the brake and pressing the Start button but it is possible.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is a zombie thread, but I'll correct this information for posterity. You do not need a phone to use the backup pass code. It would defeat the purpose of the backup pass code if you needed a phone. I don't recommend using the backup pass code for regular use because it's more of a process than just pressing the brake and pressing the Start button but it is possible.
I think the point being made was that IF a PaaK is deleted (i.e. phone paired), then the backup code is now gone.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I'll just chime in for the sake of it on this old thread. This is my first Ford and I am not sure I can ever go back to a vehicle that does not have both a door key pad and the ability to start with a password. Why this is not table stakes for any vehicle these days is beyond me.

That said, every once in a while my Lightning just does not recognize my phone being present and refuses to start. In those cases using my backup passcode has always worked, though sometimes the process was slow and clunky.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll just chime in for the sake of it on this old thread. This is my first Ford and I am not sure I can ever go back to a vehicle that does not have both a door key pad and the ability to start with a password. Why this is not table stakes for any vehicle these days is beyond me.

That said, every once in a while my Lightning just does not recognize my phone being present and refuses to start. In those cases using my backup passcode has always worked, though sometimes the process was slow and clunky.
100% agree. On the rare occasion PaaK doesn't work for me - generally because of something I did on my phone - I just let myself into the truck using the keypad and start it using the backup passcode. I don't futz around with my phone because it will probably work the next time I try and I have another option. Does this never happen with other brands?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I did a dufus move this morning after the DOR-UP2 update finished, accidently uninstalled Fordpass from my phone, when all I wanted to do was a force stop and re-run., but my klutzy finger tapped the uninstall button.

Immediately realizing I had just compromised my unique PAAK encryption key to the truck, I knew I'd have to reconfigure a new authorization, after reinstalling the FP, logging in, I was immediately prompted to set up PAAK again.

Grabbed the FOB and phone, headed out to the truck to re-enroll, toward the end of the process it asked me if I wanted to set a backup code, I tapped later as well with the door code, later.

Having been through this routine a few times over the past year and a half, I wanted to know if I could continue using the prior backup start and door codes, so I shut down the truck, took the FOB & phone into the house out of BT range, also shut down the phone as a precaution, that it would not communicate with the truck.

Returned to the truck, entered the old door code from prior PAAK enrollment it worked and unlocked the door.

Got into the truck, stepped on the brake and press start button, warned that key was not present, and few seconds later the Sync screen displayed the input field for my backup start code, I entered the code set months ago when I last ran a PAAK configuration, it accepted the code and the truck went into full start / drive mode.

So yes, in an ODD situation where the prior PAAK encryption key has been compromised, ie. worst case scenario, lost, destroyed, stolen phone ....... you're not stranded as long as you remember these two codes.

Funny issue though, later in the afternoon, we went for a ride, I remoted started the truck like I often do, then we headed out to the truck, everything was normal, press to start and up popped the reminder that I had previously said "later" on configuring the back up start code, I'm not sure if I continued ignoring this for several cycles if it would give up and stop nagging me, I really didn't want to make a change since the old code worked perfectly fine, but I clicked continue and ended up setting a new code, unfortunately the code I used previously was not allowed to be used for my new setup, so I had to make a memorable alteration, it took that code and all is good no more nagging to setup the code.

Last edited:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure if I continued ignoring this for several cycles if it would give up and stop nagging me, I really didn't want to make a change since the old code worked perfectly fine, but I clicked continue and ended up setting a new code, unfortunately the code I used previously was not allowed to be used for my new setup, so I had to make a memorable alteration, it took that code and all is good no more nagging to setup the code.
Maybe your old code is still available. In the name of science, will you try it? 😁

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Maybe your old code is still available. In the name of science, will you try it? 😁
Yes, the prior code still works in addition to the newest version.
Sponsored