• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jherzog2211

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT (ordered 12/15/22)
After many weeks of toiling, research, and hoisting these heavy SOBs in and out of my truckbed, I want to save everyone else the time and hardship that I've gone thru. My goal from the start was to get these 17 inch wheels/35 inch tires (Raptor Takeoffs) on my 2023 F150 Lightning XLT. Despite what all the shops told me and their lack of familiarity with the Lightning (even though the truck has been out for 2 years now) we were ultimately successful after a month of trial and error; I want to share the required parts with you all in case you also want to achieve this aggressive look.

Ford F-150 Lightning Definitive Raptor Swap Wheels / Tires Tutorial (look no further) img_2105-2-

Step 1: Buy "Raptor Take Offs"
I had success with this on Facebook Marketplace. The wheels that were available happened to be 17 inch Raptor wheels with 35 inch tires (BF Goodrich All Terrains LT315/70R17). I paid $1800 (a total steal, I learned, compared to what you'll pay at TireRack for new wheels and tires. I know this because at one point, after giving up on the Raptor Takeoffs I bought the cheapest wheels and 35 inch tires I could find from Tire Rack that were off-road oriented and it was $2400 🤯).

Ford F-150 Lightning Definitive Raptor Swap Wheels / Tires Tutorial (look no further) screenshot-2024-04-12-at-10-50-15%E2%80%AFpm-

Step 2: You need at least a 2 inch Level kit installed on your Lightning. The 2 inch level kit I chose is less than $100 (link below). It was one of the few parts that declared on the website that it is indeed compatible with the F150 Lightning. Depending on how savvy you are in your garage, you may be able to install this yourself, but I went to a local shop. The shop charged me ~$450 to level the truck and perform an alignment, however they told me the wheels and tires still wouldn't fit over the Lightning brake calipers even after the 2 inch level (first speedbump but stay with me).

Ford F-150 Lightning Definitive Raptor Swap Wheels / Tires Tutorial (look no further) 22-23_ford_lightning_nylon_strut_spacers_-_52000

https://www.roughcountry.com/product/ford-lightning-leveling-lift-kit-52000

Step 3: You need 12 mm spacers. This may sound like an intimidating dealbreaker, however it turns out it totally isn't. These go between your Raptor wheel and the wheel hub, and this is what resolves the "wheel won't fit over the brake calipers" problem. It's tight, but it works. 12mm is only 0.5 inches, meaning this will only make your truck 1 inch wider (not a comical amount of poke). The spacers, like the Level kit, is affordable. I got mine off of Amazon for less than $100 (link below).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BC1KT33N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ford F-150 Lightning Definitive Raptor Swap Wheels / Tires Tutorial (look no further) screenshot-2024-04-12-at-7-13-41%E2%80%AFpm-

Step 4: You need EXTENDED THREAD LUG NUTS that will fit the Lightning (14x1.5). The reason being after you put the spacer and the wheel on, the amount of remaining thread available is flirting with potentially being unsafe. Some sources say you should thread at least the diameter of the Bolt (F150 lightning bolt diameter is 14mm), and other sources say you need a specific amount of TURNS to be safe (source recommended 9.5 turns, I was only able to execute 7 turns with the stock lug). For peace of mind, I purchased these extended thread lug nuts (and they're black 😎)These were about $50.

https://lugnutguys.com/collections/lug-nuts-et/products/et-style-bulge-acorn-lug-nut-14x1-5-black

Ford F-150 Lightning Definitive Raptor Swap Wheels / Tires Tutorial (look no further) screenshot-2024-04-12-at-7-15-34%E2%80%AFpm-

I had to learn all of this one step at a time, and make separate appointments to learn each individual roadblock and then address it. Don't be like me. Buy all the right parts first. Make your appointment at the shop, walk away happy :) Hope this was helpful for someone. Apologies if this thread already exists somewhere else.

Once I've had the Raptor wheels on for longer, I'll update the thread with efficiency data. Fun fact though, while driving around these last few weeks with just the 2 inch level with stock wheels and tires, I averaged 2.5 mi/kwh (significantly better than I would have thought)

-Joe (more to come from me on this site, I promise you that).
Sponsored

bfwead

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
This is awesome, Thanks.
You mentioned the poke, would you mind posting a pic at an angle that shows how much poke is produced?

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Nice writeup - and I love the way it makes the truck look. I'm a huge fan of smaller wheels, and more rubber!

Any update on ride quality - specifically with the spacers? Any vibration or wobble? That's the only thing that's really making me nervous about pulling the trigger on this mod.

OP
OP

Jherzog2211

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice writeup - and I love the way it makes the truck look. I'm a huge fan of smaller wheels, and more rubber!

Any update on ride quality - specifically with the spacers? Any vibration or wobble? That's the only thing that's really making me nervous about pulling the trigger on this mod.
I would say the ride quality is maybe 5% worse but I drive in the city a lot and we’ve got potholes. That’s the only time I notice the 5% difference. That 5% I mostly attribute to the tires and less to the spacers but it’s all subjective. Have not noticed any increased “wobble” even on the highway. Increased road noise is minimal and I’ve confirmed that with a decibel meter ( even when you factor in the wind noise)

Efficiency pre upgrades was consistently 2.3-2.5 mi/kwh.
Since the upgrades it’s consistently close to 2.0 mi/kwh.
Now that I know how it looks and have all those numbers in mind, I would 100% do all of this again. Huge appearance upgrade for minimal tradeoffs. I’m thrilled.

depending on how you use your truck, I would highly recommend!

Sponsored

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E
Occupation
SWE
Whoa, what's going on with your Lightbar? How did you do it?

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would say the ride quality is maybe 5% worse but I drive in the city a lot and we’ve got potholes. That’s the only time I notice the 5% difference. That 5% I mostly attribute to the tires and less to the spacers but it’s all subjective. Have not noticed any increased “wobble” even on the highway. Increased road noise is minimal and I’ve confirmed that with a decibel meter ( even when you factor in the wind noise)

Efficiency pre upgrades was consistently 2.3-2.5 mi/kwh.
Since the upgrades it’s consistently close to 2.0 mi/kwh.
Now that I know how it looks and have all those numbers in mind, I would 100% do all of this again. Huge appearance upgrade for minimal tradeoffs. I’m thrilled.

depending on how you use your truck, I would highly recommend!
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm really not too worried about the ride or efficiency getting worse - I really expect that ride will be a bit rougher with more rubber (more truck like ride) and efficiency impacted as well. I was most concerned about anything related to the spacers and vibrations or things like that, which sounds like you're not experiencing!

I cant really tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing you left the KO2 315/70's on the wheels that you mounted or did you go with a new tire/size?

OP
OP

Jherzog2211

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm really not too worried about the ride or efficiency getting worse - I really expect that ride will be a bit rougher with more rubber (more truck like ride) and efficiency impacted as well. I was most concerned about anything related to the spacers and vibrations or things like that, which sounds like you're not experiencing!

I cant really tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing you left the KO2 315/70's on the wheels that you mounted or did you go with a new tire/size?
I took the exact raptor tires that ford mounts from the factory. Which does appear to be a 315/70 !
Ford F-150 Lightning Definitive Raptor Swap Wheels / Tires Tutorial (look no further) IMG_2379

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jherzog2211

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Whoa, what's going on with your Lightbar? How did you do it?
Part of all the upgrades! Never liked the full white one so a local vinyl wrap shop did it for me. I wanted amber wrap to emulate Raptor and then we used black wrap to give it a sleeker silhouette. It’s not perfect and I can tell that after a while I’ll go back and have them do something different (still with amber tho) but I like it as an eye grabber for now 😁

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I took the exact raptor tires that ford mounts from the factory. Which does appear to be a 315/70 !
IMG_2379.png

Thanks!

Now I just gotta find a set of raptor wheels for sale, and wait for the the lugs to come back in stock. lol

OP
OP

Jherzog2211

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks!

Now I just gotta find a set of raptor wheels for sale, and wait for the the lugs to come back in stock. lol
My local Motorsports shop had the lugs on hand and installed my wheels 2 hours after I called them. So you may have luck with that if LugNutGuys doesn’t restock soon enough for you.
As for the raptor wheels, be patient! Inevitably some will pop up on FB marketplace. I paid $1000 for mine so don’t let anyone charge you too much more

OP
OP

Jherzog2211

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My local Motorsports shop had the lugs on hand and installed my wheels 2 hours after I called them. So you may have luck with that if LugNutGuys doesn’t restock soon enough for you.
As for the raptor wheels, be patient! Inevitably some will pop up on FB marketplace. I paid $1000 for mine so don’t let anyone charge you too much more
Sorry sorry $1800

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did they recalibrate the speedometer for you, or did you just leave it? Any other calibration done as part of the lift? I know you didnt mention anything, but was wondering if maybe the shop adjusted lights and/or any sensor alignment when they did the lift.
Sponsored