Sponsored

Tire pressure with large tires

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 502A
I'm curious to know what tire pressure those with large tires are running. I have 285/65/20 BFG KO2s and the dealership has then at 38 psi. The ride is a little tougher than I anticipated and I'm wondering if I should increase the pressure.
Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I'm curious to know what tire pressure those with large tires are running. I have 285/65/20 BFG KO2s and the dealership has then at 38 psi. The ride is a little tougher than I anticipated and I'm wondering if I should increase the pressure.
Most recommended cold tire pressure ranges between 30 & 35 PSI depending on what the sticker says on your driver's door frame, regardless of size. Mine recommends 35 PSI.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a tire expert. Just relaying what was recommended by the tire shop that mounted my tires.

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Management Advisory Consulting
I assume those are E range 10 ply in that size. I've had the same tires on my 2010 and 2015, and most recently the General Grabbers in that size, all 10 ply E load range because of the size. They all rode much stiffer than the smaller D load range tires regardless of the air pressure. Adding air will only make them ride harder. I'm not a tire expert either by any means, but I always ran my E range tires at 38-40PSI cold since I couldn't stand the ride with any more than that. Not sure what the minimum pressure on those tires would be.
Ride quality is a primary reason I went with D range Defenders on my '21 KR along with fuel mileage of course. It sure rides a whole lot softer than my 2015 Platinum with the bigger, stiffer tires.

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I assume those are E range 10 ply in that size. I've had the same tires on my 2010 and 2015, and most recently the General Grabbers in that size, all 10 ply E load range because of the size. They all rode much stiffer than the smaller D load range tires regardless of the air pressure. Adding air will only make them ride harder. I'm not a tire expert either by any means, but I always ran my E range tires at 38-40PSI cold since I couldn't stand the ride with any more than that. Not sure what the minimum pressure on those tires would be.
Ride quality is a primary reason I went with D range Defenders on my '21 KR along with fuel mileage of course. It sure rides a whole lot softer than my 2015 Platinum with the bigger, stiffer tires.
Yeah I'm kind of regretting getting these tires. I've had similar before, but these new F-150s right so smooth that the ride quality difference with bigger more aggressive tires was way more pronounced than in the past. I might switch back to 275/60/20s.

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
Yeah I'm kind of regretting getting these tires. I've had similar before, but these new F-150s right so smooth that the ride quality difference with bigger more aggressive tires was way more pronounced than in the past. I might switch back to 275/60/20s.
If you look at the picture in my profile of my truck those are 275/60/20 Defenders. They look pretty good for stock ride height and ride like a baby buggy. I just took a 500 mile road trip up & over mountains for part of it & averaged 21.9mpg overall too. Since it wasn't broken in yet I had to pedal it for 200 miles down a dead straight freeway. Can't wait to see the mileage with cruise on. My 2015 EB would've gotten 15mpg max on that trip. The KO2s were great but were just really heavy & stiff.

Sponsored
OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you look at the picture in my profile of my truck those are 275/60/20 Defenders. They look pretty good for stock ride height and ride like a baby buggy. I just took a 500 mile road trip up & over mountains for part of it & averaged 21.9mpg overall too. Since it wasn't broken in yet I had to pedal it for 200 miles down a dead straight freeway. Can't wait to see the mileage with cruise on. My 2015 EB would've gotten 15mpg max on that trip. The KO2s were great but were just really heavy & stiff.
I'll keep the Defenders in mind. You nailed it on the KO2s. They are heavy and stiff. I guess I didn't notice it so much on my last truck, but like I said before these new F-150s ride so smooth the difference is night and day.

NorCalHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR Powerboost
Occupation
I'll keep the Defenders in mind. You nailed it on the KO2s. They are heavy and stiff. I guess I didn't notice it so much on my last truck, but like I said before these new F-150s ride so smooth the difference is night and day.
That's for sure. I'm really impressed with the ride of this new F150 & just want to enjoy it for a while haha. Whereabouts in VA are you? I lived in Arlington for 6 years & miss going to VT games!

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's for sure. I'm really impressed with the ride of this new F150 & just want to enjoy it for a while haha. Whereabouts in VA are you? I lived in Arlington for 6 years & miss going to VT games!
Waynesboro, about 30 minutes west of Charlottesville on I-64. I'm originally from southern WV, but moved here almost 15 years ago. Being from WV, I cannot like VT, but I won't hold that against you! :) LOL

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Most recommended cold tire pressure ranges between 30 & 35 PSI depending on what the sticker says on your driver's door frame, regardless of size. Mine recommends 35 PSI.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a tire expert. Just relaying what was recommended by the tire shop that mounted my tires.
But that is NOT for an LT tire - the typical pressure for LT is much higher - on my last truck I contacted Nitto for pressure and they provided a pressure table based on load - for my empty F150 it was ~ 49# psi and increased as I added load

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
Nitto Terra Grappler G2's come in a 275/65r20 (non LT) size that is only 47#'s and will ride much softer (close to stock) but is still a 34" height

Sponsored
OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But that is NOT for an LT tire - the typical pressure for LT is much higher - on my last truck I contacted Nitto for pressure and they provided a pressure table based on load - for my empty F150 it was ~ 49# psi and increased as I added load
I adjusted the tire pressure on these KO2s not long after my first post. I took them up to 45 each. The ride was not really much different, but I'd say it was a tad smoother. BUT the increased height from the extra tire pressure messed up the lane keeping/centering. I guess due to the cameras not being able to see the lines fully. I took them back down to 38 and it was all working again. The 2 in level probably had something to do with it too. I'm quickly finding out that the things I did to my last F-150 don't really work to well with these new ones. I've pretty much decided to get switch tires at this point and might even take the level off, but I'll decide that after I make the tire change.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I adjusted the tire pressure on these KO2s not long after my first post. I took them up to 45 each. The ride was not really much different, but I'd say it was a tad smoother. BUT the increased height from the extra tire pressure messed up the lane keeping/centering. I guess due to the cameras not being able to see the lines fully. I took them back down to 38 and it was all working again. The 2 in level probably had something to do with it too. I'm quickly finding out that the things I did to my last F-150 don't really work to well with these new ones. I've pretty much decided to get switch tires at this point and might even take the level off, but I'll decide that after I make the tire change.
I'm still waiting for my truck, but the more I see posts and discussion am leaning towards getting non-LT tires and sticking with a size that fits w/o the level - possibly do a rear block removal to reduce rear rake - tires from Nitto are available in 275/65r20 and 305/55r20 that are slightly larger than stock but still fit and are NOT LT - many brands offer the 275/60r20

OP
OP

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm still waiting for my truck, but the more I see posts and discussion am leaning towards getting non-LT tires and sticking with a size that fits w/o the level - possibly do a rear block removal to reduce rear rake - tires from Nitto are available in 275/65r20 and 305/55r20 that are slightly larger than stock but still fit and are NOT LT - many brands offer the 275/60r20
The 305/55/20s are interesting since they are so close to stock it might not impact gas mileage much. I wonder if those will fit on the stock rims without rubbing.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I'm hoping you can share the pressure table with the rest of us, as I'd like to show it to my tire shop.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I'm hoping you can share the pressure table with the rest of us, as I'd like to show it to my tire shop.
Sorry to say I lost it when yahoo decided I no longer needed to use their email account!
Here is a link to a Toyo tires load table that is similar to what Nitto had sent me a couple years back (one note though is that Nitto told me the table they sent was specific to my truck - they asked for my VIN# prior to sending the table)
https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf
Sponsored