• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging at 80 amps on EVSE Other Than Ford CSP?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I don’t understand why Ford eliminated the dual onboard chargers especially if you have the ER battery??
It seems like maybe the cost cutting moves have gone overboard?
Trying to keep more configurations under the 80K limit.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Trying to keep more configurations under the 80K limit.
It also decoupled the FCSP from the ER models, which is a cost cutting move as Ford was giving away the FCSP (let's be real, the cost was baked into the truck's MSRP). Even though it wasn't a line item, I'd have to imagine the FCSP price was included in the ER battery add-on.

Ford removed more features than they added without reducing the price. They should've left the second on board charger.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It also decoupled the FCSP from the ER models, which is a cost cutting move as Ford was giving away the FCSP (let's be real, the cost was baked into the truck's MSRP). Even though it wasn't a line item, I'd have to imagine the FCSP price was included in the ER battery add-on.

Ford removed more features than they added without reducing the price. They should've left the second on board charger.
Only the 3 year BC option brings the MSRP over 80k, buy the 90 day trial on closing and any tire option and you're still under 80k on the Lariat-ER, obviously the Platinum didn't benefit much as regards the federal tax credit.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging at 80 amps on EVSE Other Than Ford CSP? 1727361244516-z5

Kenglishdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
United Chargers, who makes all the Grizzl-E EVSEs, is claiming that Ford Lightnings can only charge at 80 amps on the Ford Charge Station Pro.

Has anyone charged at 80 amps (or more than 48 amps) on an AC/L2 EVSE other than the Ford Charge Station Pro?
I have a 2023 Lightening and installed the “included with purchase” Ford Charge Station Pro. Then my wife purchased a Tesla compatible with the Ford charger.

Yesterday we installed the Grizzl-E 80A and left it set at 80 amps.

The Tesla automatically charged at 48amps and the Lightening appears to charge just fine. It was already at 80% so I just plugged it in to test. Have not seen if it’s using 80amps.

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
They are claiming it on their X account in the comments. It is a horrible post, trying to use the '24 as an example, without knowing none have it unless spec'd out in a fleet purchase.

Just a questionable post from a clearly uninformed person mad cause it makes their evse look bad.
United Chargers, who makes all the Grizzl-E EVSEs, is claiming that Ford Lightnings can only charge at 80 amps on the Ford Charge Station Pro.

Has anyone charged at 80 amps (or more than 48 amps) on an AC/L2 EVSE other than the Ford Charge Station Pro?
The charge at a blink charger that gives me 15 kw ( which are 70amp chargers I believe) and have seen non-Ford 80 amp chargers work on my truck…so I don’t think this is correct

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I've charged at 16kw+ at a hotel charger back in December. Awesome. I don't remember the brand but it was NOT Ford or Tesla and it had been there for a while (ie, not a newly installed EVSE).

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
It's pretty rediculous to put a company on blast off of heresay from a customer (who is probably ill informed of the charge rates). While the poster was trying to get people fired up towards Ford, all they did was get everyone fired up at Grizzl-e/United. The irresponsible post will cost that company sales from 22/23 Lightning customers that think their charger is incompatible. It will also cost them from those of us that won't give Grizzl-e/United our business in the future because of newfounded lack of trust.
Yep.

I've taken their EVSEs off my list of recommended "chargers" to friends who are buying EVs. They've lost a lot of respect with this ignorant post.

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning

capt_ramius,

I found out the hard way that the 24s (including our Platinum) only have a single on-board charger which limits ANY EVSE charge to 48A. However, Grizzl-E gave me the same (wrong) info that a Ford Charge Station Pro would work (up to 80A) because Ford limited other, non-Ford, EVSEs to 48A.

There are are couple of discussions already on this forum about this issue—one of them started by me.

Bottom line—if you have a 2024 Lightning, you’re limited to 48A, unless you have a “fleet” model with dual on-board chargers.

CAVUBob
Sponsored