• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Dashboard Rant

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
Is anybody else irritated about that ugly ass vertical 15” screen in the new Lightning? After Ford makes a big deal about their 12” horizontal screen in the new F150 (which looks fantastic) and they say that their customer research shows that their customers prefer the horizontal screen over the vertical, they come out with this ghastly abomination that flies in the face of their previous statements? That’s like how they said their customers preferred an actual shifter over a rotary dial and then put a rotary dial in the Expedition, Explorer, Fusion, Escape, etc. I love Ford but man, they make some conflicting design choices based on ‘research’. Okay. Rant over.
Sponsored

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I don't mind the vertical as much as the design they used. To go horizonal on a screen that big means some drivers would actually have to lean toward the center of the truck to access some functions. If the software and interface is done correctly, I would be fine with vertical. My issues is the screen placement. It looks like a afterthought. Instead of re-designing the dash to make the screen more integrated, they tried to use as much of the current formfactor as possible. Looks like they just slapped it up there and called it a day.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
Is anybody else irritated about that ugly ass vertical 15” screen in the new Lightning? After Ford makes a big deal about their 12” horizontal screen in the new F150 (which looks fantastic) and they say that their customer research shows that their customers prefer the horizontal screen over the vertical, they come out with this ghastly abomination that flies in the face of their previous statements? That’s like how they said their customers preferred an actual shifter over a rotary dial and then put a rotary dial in the Expedition, Explorer, Fusion, Escape, etc. I love Ford but man, they make some conflicting design choices based on ‘research’. Okay. Rant over.
Sounds like you are the customer for XLT trim.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Looks like they just slapped it up there and called it a day.
This. Its also why the 12” screen looks so great, they designed the dash so it fits in as an integrated component meant to be.

I don’t mind them trying it since the 12” screen is still available (on lower trims)... hopefully they make it available for all trims.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I think it's just something everyone is going to get used to. This new style is a sign of things to come, and new trends always seem a little "offensive" to the eyes at first. If you showed the current 12" screen we have on our F-150s to people back in the 90s or early 00s they'd be aghast and in shock, wondering why in the hell you'd ever need such a massive screen in a car. Today, we think it's an elegant design that was well integrated to the car and does a great job serving its intended purpose.

The same will probably go for these big vertical style screens. I thought the Tesla screens were pretty outlandish when they first came out, but now they look normal to me and I have a truck with a pretty similar sized screen on it.

One thing I do wish is that they'd angle the screens a bit towards the driver on some of these cars. On my wife's 2020 Explorer, it just feels awkward reaching to use the thing from the driver's seat. I always just want to grab it and it angle it towards me so it's actually more of a direct line of sight to me, but it of course doesn't actually move.

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I like it. I would also like the ability to angle it like xtraman122 suggested, that wold be cool. Make it part of the driver memory settings

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
They just need to mold the dash around it, sort of like the Rams vertical screen. But yeah, I am also kind of pissed it’s not an option all across the board with the 12” being standard. I want an XLT but can’t get Blues Cruise.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I think it's just something everyone is going to get used to. This new style is a sign of things to come, and new trends always seem a little "offensive" to the eyes at first. If you showed the current 12" screen we have on our F-150s to people back in the 90s or early 00s they'd be aghast and in shock, wondering why in the hell you'd ever need such a massive screen in a car. Today, we think it's an elegant design that was well integrated to the car and does a great job serving its intended purpose.

The same will probably go for these big vertical style screens. I thought the Tesla screens were pretty outlandish when they first came out, but now they look normal to me and I have a truck with a pretty similar sized screen on it.

One thing I do wish is that they'd angle the screens a bit towards the driver on some of these cars. On my wife's 2020 Explorer, it just feels awkward reaching to use the thing from the driver's seat. I always just want to grab it and it angle it towards me so it's actually more of a direct line of sight to me, but it of course doesn't actually move.
Agreed. Initially, the floating 15.5" screen was one of my least favorite parts of the Mach E interior. However, now that I've had the car a few months it makes sense in many ways. I think it will be an even less obvious design feature in the Lightning.

As far as angle, I find my wife using the screen a lot when I'm driving. That wouldn't work well if it were aimed toward the driver.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I'd be more offended if the center screen were the ONLY screen in the vehicle, similar to the Model 3 or Y. The Cybertruck prototype also only has one screen.

Many, many vehicles have screens just sticking up out of the dash now. Part of me thinks it's style, but there is an advantage to having the screen higher up in the dash - keeping your eyes closer to the road. If you don't have to look down as much, you're more likely to see what's on the road in front of you. I've also seen the argument that you should not have a screen like that to begin with as it is a distraction, but given everyone's desire for navigation and robust media interaction, I think the tradeoff of having a large integrated screen vs. interacting with a phone is a good one.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I'd be more offended if the center screen were the ONLY screen in the vehicle, similar to the Model 3 or Y. The Cybertruck prototype also only has one screen.

Many, many vehicles have screens just sticking up out of the dash now. Part of me thinks it's style, but there is an advantage to having the screen higher up in the dash - keeping your eyes closer to the road. If you don't have to look down as much, you're more likely to see what's on the road in front of you. I've also seen the argument that you should not have a screen like that to begin with as it is a distraction, but given everyone's desire for navigation and robust media interaction, I think the tradeoff of having a large integrated screen vs. interacting with a phone is a good one.
I'm with you on the lack of a regular cluster/screen behind the wheel. I can't stand the interior of the Model S/Y/X with no screen behind the wheel. Call me old fashioned (I'm only 29 years old...) but you just need something there. I've driven a Model 3, and it's definitely fun and has a great ride, but the interior is just terrible in my mind. Way too far in the minimalist direction for me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I'm with you on the lack of a regular cluster/screen behind the wheel. I can't stand the interior of the Model S/Y/X with no screen behind the wheel. Call me old fashioned (I'm only 29 years old...) but you just need something there. I've driven a Model 3, and it's definitely fun and has a great ride, but the interior is just terrible in my mind. Way too far in the minimalist direction for me.
This is a huge advantage of the Mustang Mach E over the Tesla Models Y & 3: there is a driver's console you view through the steering wheel just like every other vehicle. The critical information is right there in front of you.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is a huge advantage of the Mustang Mach E over the Tesla Models Y & 3: there is a driver's console you view through the steering wheel just like every other vehicle. The critical information is right there in front of you.
I honestly cant tell the difference between the way Tesla has it and the way the Mach-E has it. People exaggerate and claim you have to turn you whole head right to get information int he Model 3 when it's just not true. Granted it's just a cost cutting measure from Tesla, but still, not a big deal in a CUV like the Y or Mach -E.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
A friend of mine with a 3 says you get used to it, but I wasn't willing to bank a purchase on that. I drove his car a few times, and having to look to my right to see my speed or whether I could engage autopilot was infuriating. They aren't the first to put key driving info in the center. The Toyota Echo, Prius, Mini Cooper, and Scion xB have had gauges in the center. I won't exggerate to the point of saying you have to turn your head, but not having critical information in front of me drives me nuts!

The fact that there are now 3rd party gauge clusters for the 3/Y is somewhat telling how I am not the only one. However, it's also true that the 3 and Y sell incredibly well anyway.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
A friend of mine with a 3 says you get used to it, but I wasn't willing to bank a purchase on that. I drove his car a few times, and having to look to my right to see my speed or whether I could engage autopilot was infuriating. They aren't the first to put key driving info in the center. The Toyota Echo, Prius, Mini Cooper, and Scion xB have had gauges in the center. I won't exggerate to the point of saying you have to turn your head, but not having critical information in front of me drives me nuts!

The fact that there are now 3rd party gauge clusters for the 3/Y is somewhat telling how I am not the only one. However, it's also true that the 3 and Y sell incredibly well anyway.
Yup - the lack of a gage cluster is what turned me off of the 3/Y/CT. Just not what I am looking for. I also hate how minimalist they went. Buttons and knobs can be good thing - especially if you need to wear gloves for work or climate (winter).
Sponsored