• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Just finished installing a Mico-Air EasyStart on my 3.5-ton heat pump. It reduced the lock rotor current (in-rush current) by 75% from 85 amps down to 21 amps! This now allows the Lightning's ProPower to successfully start and run the heat pump without even a flinch. Prior to this, the 85 amp in-rush current on the heat pump would immediately trip the overload circuit breaker on the ProPower. Therefore I could not use the ProPower to run the central heat/AC. Now it runs it runs it no problem.

With ProPower running the house, I can have all my lights, electronics, refrigerator, well pump, and central heat/ac all operating normally. I turn off the 4000 watt hot water heater tank unless needed. I use a UL listed generator inlet and UL listed interlock to backfeed the panel with the main shut off.

With normal HVAC, the truck can power my whole house in normal operation for approx 2 full days with a 50 mile reserve. If the weather is nice and I don't need HVAC, that time goes up to 7 full days!

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning ProPower powers house with 3.5-ton heat pump using MicoAir EastStart on the compressor PhotoCollage_20240609_220443045

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning ProPower powers house with 3.5-ton heat pump using MicoAir EastStart on the compressor PhotoCollage_20240607_183604865
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Nice.
There are a number of products (SoftStart, ActiveStart, etc.) around to suppress the surge current of motors, etc. useful with generators, and obviously, the Lightning ProPowerOn-board.

The only "con" is the cost in the Pros and Cons from a product website, but the up-front cost pays off in the long run by extending the life of the equipment - and of course you need it for using the Lightning as a home backup in circumstances where the surge currents would trip the breaker (a 30A breaker?).

Pros and Cons of Soft Starters:

An electronic soft starter is designed to reduce the starting current of the compressor by actively controlling the current in both the run and start windings. Soft starters also offer built-in features to protect the compressor under atypical circumstances.

Soft starters are particularly well suited for off-grid generator or inverter-based HVAC applications where the limited capacity of source rating and cable impedances over vast distances can imply that the compressor won’t start.

While soft starters cost more, they’re quieter and last longer, and the return on investment is realized several times over through generator savings and increased compressor life.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
This works as I have done it on a 3 ton system. How big is your well pump?