• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I headed out to a newly opened Tesla SC station this morning. I chose this particular station because it has two charge with space in between which allow you to steal a spot without taking up two chargers, looks like Tesla though about this while designing this station. Although I still would have preferred the horizontal version. Started off rough but ended up being what I expected. The first station was broken and charge would not initiate.

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience tempImage0AgD5x

I moved over to the other stall which had an open parking spot next to it and everything went smoothly.

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience IMG_1891

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience tempImagewZ1ExD
Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience tempImageyw57v8

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience tempImagewGAcnl

My max rate was only 133 kWand then at around 65% tapered down to about 94 kW

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience IMG_1893
Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience IMG_1905

The overall cost was $36 which added 72 kWh at 0.50/kWh. The Tesla Membership price is 0.40/kWh so it makes sense if you will be using it more than once a month or if you are taking a long road trip in which you will charge more than once.

I won't be charging often outside the house anytime soon, but thank you @Ford Motor Company for making this happen. This has made life so much easier.
Sponsored

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience IMG_8259
Hey that’s cool- I didn’t capture any of the data, but I did the same last week. I think my max was 172 kWh.
Had to park awkwardly, but there was only a model Y Charging in a spot 10 or so away from me.
Was at a gas station / coffee shop!
Used my new A2Z for the first time bc I don’t get the ford NACS until sept (supposedly)

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I used mine today several times - no problem 'charging', but the problem in when trying to 'disconnect':

I don't have or use the Tesla APP...
I want to use Ford's Plug-N-Charge and not deal with any 'activation' or app...

and it's quite capable of doing just that.....although...

I then realized that when I was ready to STOP charging, I found no 'way' or method readily available to STOP, such as an app, the Ford's screen, and certainly nothing on the Supercharger side to 'stop' it...so, my only option was to press the Charge Port's OVAL Charging Button...

yes, this did disable the charging, and the truck stopped, as well as I received an email from Ford on the costs...but, interestingly, the Supercharger sounded like it was still 'going', and would NOT release it's cable end from my Adapter.
No matter the struggle, it would not release.
I had the NACS in my left hand, and the Adapter in my right, pressing on both the Tesla plug end's little 'button' on the handle, AND pressing the bottom of the Adapter....my muscles just wasn't making it happen.
I paused.
I decided to let the Supercharger unit 'calm down' for a minute, and then, voila, it would release.

O.k., so I decided I must not be up-to-date on the correct 'steps' to unplug.
I decided that you would need to unplug the NACS handle FIRST, then remove the Adapter from the truck.

The next Supercharger I pulled up, plugged in, and started charging, no problem.
I went in to get some coffee.
I came back out and was already ready to stop the charge.
I pushed the Charge Port's button.
It went gray. Great.
Then it came on BLUE, again... what? Is it trying to 'charge' again??

So, I pressed the little button on the NACS handle and pulled... nothing. Stuck again. what??

I did this many times, until, yes, I decided to PAUSE for a second.
Then, it hit me...

I was holding my coffee carefully in my RIGHT hand, while trying to 'unplug' the NACS handle with my left.... I forgot that you also have to pRESS the Adapter's NACS 'release' at the SAME TIME... oh well. It did eventually work.

But, I'm still not sure of the 'timing' of the unplug process... it still seemed to want to 'keep' the NACS handle attached to my Adapter. It seems it should be easier and simpler than this...

Last edited:

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I used mine today several times - no problem 'charging', but the problem in when trying to 'disconnect':

I don't have or use the Tesla APP...
I want to use Ford's Plug-N-Charge and not deal with any 'activation' or app...

and it's quite capable of doing just that.....although...

I then realized that when I was ready to STOP charging, I found no 'way' or method readily available to STOP, such as an app, the Ford's screen, and certainly nothing on the Supercharger side to 'stop' it...so, my only option was to press the Charge Port's OVAL Charging Button...

yes, this did disable the charging, and the truck stopped, as well as I received an email from Ford on the costs...but, interestingly, the Supercharger sounded like it was still 'going', and would NOT release it's cable end from my Adapter.
No matter the struggle, it would not release.
I had the NACS in my left hand, and the Adapter in my right, pressing on both the Tesla plug end's little 'button' on the handle, AND pressing the bottom of the Adapter....my muscles just wasn't making it happen.
I paused.
I decided to let the Supercharger unit 'calm down' for a minute, and then, voila, it would release.

O.k., so I decided I must not be up-to-date on the correct 'steps' to unplug.
I decided that you would need to unplug the NACS handle FIRST, then remove the Adapter from the truck.

The next Supercharger I pulled up, plugged in, and started charging, no problem.
I went in to get some coffee.
I came back out and was already ready to stop the charge.
I pushed the Charge Port's button.
It went gray. Great.
Then it came on BLUE, again... what? Is it trying to 'charge' again??

So, I pressed the little button on the NACS handle and pulled... nothing. Stuck again. what??

I did this many times, until, yes, I decided to PAUSE for a second.
Then, it hit me...

I was holding my coffee carefully in my RIGHT hand, while trying to 'unplug' the NACS handle with my left.... I forgot that you also have to pRESS the Adapter's NACS 'release' at the SAME TIME... oh well. I did eventually work.
But, I'm still not sure of the 'timing' of the unplug process... it still seemed to want to 'keep' the NACS handle in my Adapter.
My stop sequence is:

push button on truck
listen for the supercharger to stop running (1-2 sec)
push button on adapter to release from truck
pull release button on adapter to release from Tesla plug

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The Charge Assist / Public Charging app on the Sync screen has a [STOP] button.

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience 1718622917997-uj

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
good to know..

also, the 'steps' might be different depending on 'which' model ADAPTER you have...
easier on some, harder on others... TOM M points out these differences in his video...
it looks like the 'Ford' version is not Tom's fav...

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
good to know..

also, the 'steps' might be different depending on 'which' model ADAPTER you have...
easier on some, harder on others... TOM M points out these differences in his video...
it looks like the 'Ford' version is not Tom's fav...
Yeah the awkwardness of disconnecting was a big con for him. I wonder if disconnecting the NACS handle while the adaptor is still in the truck would make it easier. Once charging has stopped, I don't really see how it could make a difference in regards to the order that you disconnect from the truck/adaptor.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Yeah the awkwardness of disconnecting was a big con for him. I wonder if disconnecting the NACS handle while the adaptor is still in the truck would make it easier. Once charging has stopped, I don't really see how it could make a difference in regards to the order that you disconnect from the truck/adaptor.
Maybe this is one of (perhaps only) benefits of being a lefty. I find it easy to use.

Pauliep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
The Charge Assist / Public Charging app on the Sync screen has a [STOP] button.

1718622917997-uj.png
Where oh where do I find this screen? I have gone through all of the software in my truck and I can not find it anywhere.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Where oh where do I find this screen? I have gone through all of the software in my truck and I can not find it anywhere.
Charge Assist app should be available if your truck is fully updated and received the Tesla Supercharger update as well.

Home screen > Apps tab > Charge Assist
Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience 1718841975235-62

Select the station to navigate to, then once there, select the terminal you will plug into to activate and control with stop button.

Ford F-150 Lightning First Tesla Supercharging Experience 1718842050014-md

Sponsored

Pauliep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
So I took my truck to the dealership and had them update everything. I have the iPhone thing that shows my Lightning as a vehicle and tells me what % of battery I will have left when I arrive at my destination. But I do not have the charge assist app on my screen. Wonder what happened.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired