• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Are our doors “manual”?

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Something that always scared me about my Tesla when I had it is the electronic locking doors. I’m not sure but the Mach E may have something like that too.

I’ve tried researching this on our trucks and can find the specific answer. Since our trucks are so similar to a gas, F150, I would assume they are manual. But wanted to ask.

This story made me think of it

https://www.theverge.com/2024/6/21/24183439/tesla-model-y-arizona-toddler-trapped-rescued

Edit: thanks everyone: makes me love our trucks even more
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The lever systems are mechanical, locks are electrically assisted mechanical, carry your key fob with blade key.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dinozero

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The lever systems are mechanical, locks are electrically assisted mechanical, carry your key fob with blade key.
OK, the blade key makes sense if you were stuck on the outside. But if you were a toddler on the inside. Or an older kid. If they just pull on the hand will the door open? If the battery was dead

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
OK, the blade key makes sense if you were stuck on the outside. But if you were a toddler on the inside. Or an older kid. If they just pull on the hand will the door open? If the battery was dead
I might be tripping but aren't there little mechanical levers that raise and lower when locked and you just grab those to unlock or am I remembering an older truck?

They're there but can't be manually controlled. Huh. Today I learned something new. I figured you could just pull on it.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I might be tripping but aren't there little mechanical levers that raise and lower when locked and you just grab those to unlock or am I remembering an older truck?
Would need mighty small fingers. About toddler size if the toddler was aware enough to pull the lock button up.
But two pulls of the inside handle should work.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Mechanical. No battery needed.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dinozero

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The teslas have a mechanical unlock too. It’s front in front of the window controls. It’s a pull latch.

1719088971448-fa.png
They’ve gotten better. The rear doors in my model 3 either didn’t have a latch or it was really in a hard spot to get to. I can’t remember but it was bad

I remember that latch tho.people would always accidentally grab that instead of press the button.

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
The locking modes are selectable on the sync screen. I have mine set to only unlock the driver's door when entering and to lock with the walk away locking mode. Mine is a Lariat so those options may not be available on all models.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
As others have noted, they are manual. If you were to take the door panel off you will find the cables and connecting mechanisms to the handle on the inside and the pop up lock. No motors involved.

The front doors if they are locked, pull on the handle and they unlock and open. The back doors you must pull the handle twice and they will unlock and open, UNLESS you have the child lock turned on.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I checked this out after I read the toddler story. The front door locks inside my 23 Lariat are too short and you cannot grab them (except with a pair of pliers) to unlock a door. However I did notice that for some reason the rear lock "stems" are longer and can easily grabbed to unlock the doors from inside. Why who knows but it's good to know that if in an emergency the rear locks can be opened from the inside without any power assist

Whitewater64

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow Star White
Occupation
Singer/Conductor
The locking modes are selectable on the sync screen. I have mine set to only unlock the driver's door when entering and to lock with the walk away locking mode. Mine is a Lariat so those options may not be available on all models.
I have a '23 Lariat, but don't have a toggle to turn on Walkaway lock. It's in the manual, but I'm finding no option in settings. Did Ford put it in the 22's and then take it out for 23's? I LOVED that on my GM cars (and hubby' s Lyriq).
Sponsored