• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Car Wash Embarassment

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
So I took my tuck through the car wash for the first time and I made myself look like a fool. I really didn't think too much before pulling up to the entrance but when they told me to put the truck in neutral I had an OH CRAP moment. I forgot if I was supposed to use the neutral on the shifter or the neutral button so I went ahead and just used both. When they activated the wash the truck didn't move and the rollers lifted the driver side tires as they tried to move the truck. I couldn't figure out what was going on. They told me to put it in neutral blah blah blah and the rollers lifter the truck 2 more times. Truck in neutral, foot off brake, what could I be doing wrong? Then it struck me AUTO HOLD. I hurried to turn off auto hold in the settings menu but it would not disengage even though the setting was off. I then remembered when you press the throttle the auto hold turns off. Tried that and it didn't turn off. AHHHHHHH. They told me to put it in reverse and back up so they could reset the machine. So I backed up, reset car wash, pulled forward, put in neutral (on the shifter), auto hold turned off and this time there was no issue. Well at least now I have a clean truck and I know what to properly do next time. Silver lining, the credit card reader wasn't working properly so they gave me the car wash for free.

TL/DR: Ensure AUTO HOLD is off before entering a drive through car wash.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
hmmmmm, I don't remember turning my AUTO HOLD off when I entered the wash... I just put the truck in NEUTRAL, with the GEAR SHIFTER, not with the 'button'... it rolled just like it was expected.

OrangeCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
From the manual:
Note: The system switches off if you shift
into reverse (R) or neutral (N) while pressing
the brake pedal. If you do not press the
brake pedal while shifting into reverse (R)
or neutral (N), auto hold continues to hold
the vehicle. In this case, pressing the brake
pedal causes auto hold to stop holding the
vehicle.

So, all you have to do is keep pressing the break pedal while shifting to N.

OP
OP

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
From the manual:
vehicle.

Thanks for the clarification. I am pretty sure I came to a complete stop, took foot off the brake, and then shifted into neutral which aligns perfectly with what you mentioned above.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
From the manual:
vehicle.

Or better yet, the brake pedal.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Thanks for the clarification. I am pretty sure I came to a complete stop, took foot off the brake, and then shifted into neutral which aligns perfectly with what you mentioned above.
That’s where you went wrong. You have to keep your foot on the brake when you shift to nuetral.

I’m not even sure what I do, I think I throw it into nuetral while the truck is still rolling and it doesn’t seem to engage auto hold that way either.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
i thought this was the tesla forum and i was thinking "do you guys not know about car wash mode?". Then I realized i was on the lightning forum. Atleast I know what to do if i go in a car wash now. Thanks guys. haha

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
hmmmmm, I don't remember turning my AUTO HOLD off when I entered the wash... I just put the truck in NEUTRAL, with the GEAR SHIFTER, not with the 'button'... it rolled just like it was expected.
Same here - never disabled auto-hold just shifted into neutral with shifter.
However, I do have One pedal drive on and I rarely ever touch the brake pedal so perhaps that is why auto hold is not engaging like it did for him.

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I'm not certain, but I believe if you shift to neutral and the auto-hold is engaged you will see a message on the dash saying you can tap the brake pedal to disengage the auto-old.

Sponsored

Footester

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
So I took my tuck through the car wash for the first time and I made myself look like a fool. I really didn't think too much before pulling up to the entrance but when they told me to put the truck in neutral I had an OH CRAP moment. I forgot if I was supposed to use the neutral on the shifter or the neutral button so I went ahead and just used both. When they activated the wash the truck didn't move and the rollers lifted the driver side tires as they tried to move the truck. I couldn't figure out what was going on. They told me to put it in neutral blah blah blah and the rollers lifter the truck 2 more times. Truck in neutral, foot off brake, what could I be doing wrong? Then it struck me AUTO HOLD. I hurried to turn off auto hold in the settings menu but it would not disengage even though the setting was off. I then remembered when you press the throttle the auto hold turns off. Tried that and it didn't turn off. AHHHHHHH. They told me to put it in reverse and back up so they could reset the machine. So I backed up, reset car wash, pulled forward, put in neutral (on the shifter), auto hold turned off and this time there was no issue. Well at least now I have a clean truck and I know what to properly do next time. Silver lining, the credit card reader wasn't working properly so they gave me the car wash for free.

TL/DR: Ensure AUTO HOLD is off before entering a drive through car wash.
I haven't had the courage to go to the automatic car wash yet. I just go to the 'touchless car wash' and stay in the truck with it in READY mode and in neutral. No problems and it's more entertaining.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat - Antimatter Blue. 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
I have autohold on as well, and have never had a problem. I am using 1-pedal driving. Maybe I unconsciously put my foot on the brake pedal when shifting gears? Either way, my big thing is taking off the antenna. I almost always forget to do that. Luckily the car wash employees have bailed me out a couple of times. Now I will add this to my list.

Things to do when going through automatic car wash:
  • Shift truck into neutral while applying pressure to brake
  • turn off automatic wipers
  • close mirrors using power mirror button
  • get car wash employee to take off whip antenna and hand it to me.
  • Enjoy the view from the camera system when windshield of vehicle gets completely covered in foam

Last edited:

Antdaddy

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Is the whip antenna supposed to be removed I have went through at least 5 times with it attached? I also press the 30 minute timed neutral button is that not needed?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Before I deleted it, I always took my antenna off. The spinning brushes could grab ahold of it and rip it off.
Sponsored