• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

HV battery range seems very low after AC charging

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Here's a screenshot from CarScanner. It's a typical stop from 70 km/h to zero in two pedal drive where the brake coach says 100% energy returned.
Interesting plot, was that in "normal" drive?
Also, is it reporting 1.02 kW returned to the battery for that slow down from 70 . That begs the question how much energy was used to speed up at that same rate to 70?

Another post from mountain climbing in Washington State looked like about 60% of the energy was recovered coming down the mountain, but there are too many variable to draw a definite conclusion.
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Interesting plot, was that in "normal" drive?
Also, is it reporting 1.02 kW returned to the battery for that slow down from 70 . That begs the question how much energy was used to speed up at that same rate to 70?

Another post from mountain climbing in Washington State looked like about 60% of the energy was recovered coming down the mountain, but there are too many variable to draw a definite conclusion.
Yes, "Normal" mode. I've never even tried Sport 😅 and have only used off road a few times in sticky spots. The 1.02 kW is the "current" value; after stopping, the heater, accessories etc. are drawing 1 kW from the battery. You can see the regen from 45-65 kW earlier in the graph.

I went up the McBride Peak road here recently, slow speed, off road mode for half of it. 1100 m elevation gain (~3600 ft in freedom units). Used 11% going up, gained 5% back coming down. So less than 60% from those rough numbers. But it's pretty significant. Again, 2PD all the time.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Yes, "Normal" mode. I've never even tried Sport 😅 and have only used off road a few times in sticky spots. The 1.02 kW is the "current" value; after stopping, the heater, accessories etc. are drawing 1 kW from the battery. You can see the regen from 45-65 kW earlier in the graph.

I went up the McBride Peak road here recently, slow speed, off road mode for half of it. 1100 m elevation gain (~3600 ft in freedom units). Used 11% going up, gained 5% back coming down. So less than 60% from those rough numbers. But it's pretty significant. Again, 2PD all the time.
That's pretty close to what I got from my mountain trek's here. Around a 5500ft climb, I seem to recall using 30% to go up and 8% coming back down. However I did a big loop taking the back road (dirt and rocks) on the way up and the easy paved main road back down (shorter distance). Around half seems right for what we recover.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
What folks seem to get confused on is the word "regen". To be clear, "regen" is NOT how much the vehicle slows in normal, sport, or 1pd driving. Regen is short for regenerative braking and describes ANYTIME the vehicle slows via the electric motors acting as generators and sending power back to the battery.

As already mentioned the Lightning will use the electric motors to slow the truck be it normal mode, sport, 1pd, or applying the brake pedal. The only time the mechanical brakes are used is if the driver requests more braking than the motors can provide (which is a rather firm stop) and around 1-2 mph when slowing to a complete stop.

Bottom line drive in whatever mode works best for you. As far as the physical truck is concerned any and all methods and modes of slowing will return the same amount of energy (except HARD braking using the brake pedal)
Sponsored