• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New owner, questions about build quality/road noise

rockytj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning xlt er
Hey all, I'd been looking to get back into and EV after being and ICE driver for a while and having previously had Kia/Hyundai EVs, not wanting a Tesla, and not loving the Mach-e I drove a used F-150 (2023 XLT ER with tow package) lightning and loved it. Dealer was fair and the carfax was clean (checked a couple other reports as well and they were also clean), they even let me take it over to the Ford dealership and put it on a lift and have their techs go over it, they let me walk underneath it and told me everything looked great. Still loving the car, but after having it for a bit, I've noticed a few things and wondered if they're consistent with what others experience.

1. Road noise above 70 is fairly pronounced, not terrible, I owned a rav4 previously and would say it's about on par with that, around town it's very quite. Also I feel like I get more feedback from the road than in other vehicles I've had, maybe due to the larger tires?

2. There are what I hope are just a few fit/qc issues. The rubber frunk post on the drivers side is painted, while it's not on the passenger side. The anchor piece on both sides that the stopper screws onto is painted on both sides, it's just the rubber stopper is painted on the drivers side. I though maybe that meant there had been a repair done, but after removing the trim and checking for overspray and comparing paint texture on both sides, I don't see any evidence of repair work. The fender on the drivers side near the frunk post has a 10/23 date/time stamped on it which is consistent with the manufacture date of the vehicle. The drivers front fender protrudes ever so slightly compared to the passenger side, but I've seen complaints of this on other F150 forums. All of the parts with dates on them on that side of the car also have 10/23 dates on them and the car drives great. I'm hoping I'm just over thinking this and someone forgot to take it off before painting during assembly. Anyone seen anything like this?

Loving the car overall, it replaced an old van that was my utility/dog car, with the seats flipped up in the back I think it's going to be super comfy for my dogs.

Here are the pictures of the pained frunk posts with the trim removed.

Painted Drivers side:

Ford F-150 Lightning New owner, questions about build quality/road noise IMG_0527.JPG

Unpainted passenger side:

Ford F-150 Lightning New owner, questions about build quality/road noise IMG_0528.JPG
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Hey all, I'd been looking to get back into and EV after being and ICE driver for a while and having previously had Kia/Hyundai EVs, not wanting a Tesla, and not loving the Mach-e I drove a used F-150 (2023 XLT ER with tow package) lightning and loved it. Dealer was fair and the carfax was clean (checked a couple other reports as well and they were also clean), they even let me take it over to the Ford dealership and put it on a lift and have their techs go over it, they let me walk underneath it and told me everything looked great. Still loving the car, but after having it for a bit, I've noticed a few things and wondered if they're consistent with what others experience.

1. Road noise above 70 is fairly pronounced, not terrible, I owned a rav4 previously and would say it's about on par with that, around town it's very quite. Also I feel like I get more feedback from the road than in other vehicles I've had, maybe due to the larger tires?

2. There are what I hope are just a few fit/qc issues. The rubber frunk post on the drivers side is painted, while it's not on the passenger side. The anchor piece on both sides that the stopper screws onto is painted on both sides, it's just the rubber stopper is painted on the drivers side. I though maybe that meant there had been a repair done, but after removing the trim and checking for overspray and comparing paint texture on both sides, I don't see any evidence of repair work. The fender on the drivers side near the frunk post has a 10/23 date/time stamped on it which is consistent with the manufacture date of the vehicle. The drivers front fender protrudes ever so slightly compared to the passenger side, but I've seen complaints of this on other F150 forums. All of the parts with dates on them on that side of the car also have 10/23 dates on them and the car drives great. I'm hoping I'm just over thinking this and someone forgot to take it off before painting during assembly. Anyone seen anything like this?

Loving the car overall, it replaced an old van that was my utility/dog car, with the seats flipped up in the back I think it's going to be super comfy for my dogs.

Here are the pictures of the pained frunk posts with the trim removed.

Painted Drivers side:

IMG_0527.JPG

Unpainted passenger side:

IMG_0528.JPG
Looks like it has been repainted because the threads are painted in addition to the rubber on the one side.
Not sure if your feedback comment has anything to do with the weight of the vehicle as I am sure it is much heavier than anything else you’ve driven??
Mine is pretty quiet driving on the highway. I have the Lariat with the massive sunroof so I would expect it would be a bit louder than one without not sure what yours has?
Ford F-150 Lightning New owner, questions about build quality/road noise IMG_1071
Ford F-150 Lightning New owner, questions about build quality/road noise IMG_1072

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm hoping I'm just over thinking this and someone forgot to take it off before painting during assembly.
Those parts are in a different building when the truck is painted at the factory. That truck has had work done to it.

OP
OP

rockytj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning xlt er
Those parts are in a different building when the truck is painted at the factory. That truck has had work done to it.
Dang, does that mean that it's likely been resprayed?

Sponsored
OP
OP

rockytj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning xlt er
It absolutely has.
Well shoot, not sure how concerned I should be, it drives great, and the techs said it looks good, but could that mean it was involved in a front end collision?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Well shoot, not sure how concerned I should be, it drives great, and the techs said it looks good, but could that mean it was involved in a front end collision?
I can't speculate as to why it was painted. I can just tell that it was.

OP
OP

rockytj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning xlt er
Thanks all, lots to think about! Will be following up with the dealer, I try to avoid vehicles with previous damage, so not sure how to feel about this one. Kind of a bummer to hear after doing the due diligence on it.
Sponsored