• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stolen Spare Tire - Two Questions

tjh20290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Ford F-150 Lightning Stolen Spare Tire - Two Questions IMG_0939
I posted this to Reddit too so sorry for the duplication.

My spare tire was stolen. The assembly looks remarkably intact. I figured they would cut the cable but it looks like they lowered it through usual means. Do y’all see anything missing?

any recommendations on getting a spare? Personally I don’t mind full size dissimilar.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You didn't have a lock, right, because you have a 2023?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I don’t think anything other than your spare is missing. sorry that happened to you. That really sucks.
I wonder if this is because they are not included with the 2024s?
What part of Texas do you live in?
I think it is now a dealer installed option so you might be able to get one from your dealer?

Sponsored
OP
OP

tjh20290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I don’t think anything other than your spare is missing. sorry that happened to you. That really sucks.
I wonder if this is because they are not included with the 2024s?
What part of Texas do you live in?
I think it is now a dealer installed option so you might be able to get one from your dealer?
Spares aren’t included on 2024s? Or locks?

I live in San Antonio. About a block from our local PD. Generally a very safe “landlocked” city within SA.

I’ll call the dealer in the AM.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Correct. No lock. Which makes me feel stupid now of course.
By lock you mean in the bumper to prevent access?
Yes.

Spares aren’t included on 2024s? Or locks?

I live in San Antonio. About a block from our local PD. Generally a very safe “landlocked” city within SA.

I’ll call the dealer in the AM.
Locks were eliminated starting in 2023. Yes, spares are now an option.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
unless you are driving off-road, maybe a spare tire is not warranted - most cars now don't come with them... also, you'll have to have a spare tire MOUNTED on it's own rim, since a 'tire', itself, would not be near as helpful - I think we worry too much, as an 'old school' thought, that a spare tire is a requirement. We don't actually get in situations where they are needed very often - even then, as I've done many times, a plug kit or foam filler system works for most road hazards, like nails, screws, etc.
I've plugged many a tire, including my LIGHTNING's. Sometimes that plug works for the long term, and sometimes, if a slight leak, I take it to Walmart and they add a internal PATCH, which does the trick. My LIGHTNING has had one for 10,000 miles now.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tjh20290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
unless you are driving off-road, maybe a spare tire is not warranted - most cars now don't come with them... also, you'll have to have a spare tire MOUNTED on it's own rim, since a 'tire', itself, would not be near as helpful - I think we worry too much, as an 'old school' thought, that a spare tire is a requirement. We don't actually get in situations where they are needed very often - even then, as I've done many times, a plug kit or foam filler system works for most road hazards, like nails, screws, etc.
I've plugged many a tire, including my LIGHTNING's. Sometimes that plug works for the long term, and sometimes, if a slight leak, I take it to Walmart and they add a internal PATCH, which does the trick. My LIGHTNING has had one for 10,000 miles now.
very reasonable. And I get that in some ways I’m stuck in old ways (maybe because I’m old) but I’ll stick with hauling around an unnecessary spare. 🤪 😂

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Did the 22s come with a lock? Is there a lock available for this? I have a 23 as well.
Yes. 22 has a spare and a lock in the access point. Not sure it would stop a serious thief, but it will keep a lazy one at bay.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
Sorry this happened to you. There are plenty of holes around there to run a heavy duty cable/chain/U lock... Such as this... It's about keeping the honest ones honest.

Kryptonite Keeper 785 Bike Chain Lock, 2.8 Feet Long Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Bicycle Chain Lock with Keys for Bike, Motorcycle, Scooter, Bicycle, Door, Gate, Fence https://a.co/d/fmeq7HS

OP
OP

tjh20290

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Thanks. Now that I know this is a thing I’ll be installing the lock in the access point and installing a combo lock. Seems like overkill but I think this may be a future issue for F150 owners that want a spare if the newer models are coming with it optionally.
Sponsored