• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging

OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
There are a few really good options. To keep the list short and simple, look at these:

Tesla Universal Wall Charger — NACS connector, but includes adapter and way to dock it. Tesla also makes their wall charger with a J1772 connector, but it’s almost never in stock.

ChargePoint HomeFlex — Can order with either NACS or J1772 cord. Cord can be swapped.

Emporia 48A EV charger — Can be ordered with NACS or J1772 connector

Grizzl-E 48A Ultimate EV charger — J1772 connector

There are others that are known to be good like Autel, Wallbox and more, but those above are consistently the ones everyone goes for on all the various EV forums and I have personal experience with all of them and recommend. They each have their own strengths or advantages. Like the Tesla unit is the most ubiquitous and recognizable and it just works. The ChargePoint has good access control and is handy if you’re mounting outside or in places where others may be tempted to use it. Emporia has a nice price point and good usage/monitoring functionality. The Grizzl-E is well built and I prefer it over the Emporia at the same price point. Also has good monitoring/history.

Some can be ordered with the NACS connector, which doesn’t apply to the Lightning unless you want to also buy another $75 adapter to mess with. But I bring it up as NACS will be the connector for most all future EVs sold here. I like that the ChargePoint lets you swap out the charge cord, but it’s also a $130 cord on a $600 charger, so that’s not much of an advantage.
Trying to find out what the warranty is on the Emporia since I can't find that anywhere on the Amazon listing. I think I can get the hardwire version and just go straight to a 60 amp breaker in my service box which is directly through the wall from where the charger would be mounted. That would be really simple.

Edit: They got back to me. 3 year warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lightningwaiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Construction
Except you missed the part of my post where I say my Main box is already maxed out. And upgrading the main would be really expensive from what I've read.
When they were putting in my Ford level two charger, they were going to use a variable breaker if I didn’t have enough power in the box not sure if you can use something like that? I ended up being OK.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
When they were putting in my Ford level two charger, they were going to use a variable breaker if I didn’t have enough power in the box not sure if you can use something like that? I ended up being OK.
Variable breaker seems like overkill, or more like lazy at your expense. The purpose of variable or adjustable circuit breakers is to be able to set the circuit size at the panel or downgrade it as necessary. They can show up with a 100A max variable breaker and then if you don’t have enough available overhead, they could set it to 80 or 60, as needed. But you’re paying a lot of extra for that adjustable breaker and installing one in a residential situation seems like an opportunity for a future homeowner to make a bad decision… It might have also been a misunderstanding by the electrician as to how these EVSEs actually work, not realizing the circuit size and power draw are configured inside the unit.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
with 48,000 miles on this LIGHTNING, my wife's Kia EV9, her former Kia Sorento PHEV, and two former Nissan LEAFS, we've never used anything more than the simple 240v PLUG-IN Adjustable EVSE that are a dime a dozen anywhere you wish to shop... I would never hard wire anything. It's too permanent, and I like the flexibility to MOVE my EVSE, take it with me, extend it, etc... I also have the Ford MOBILE EVSE which I've used in either 240v mode or 120v mode many, many times, and even another 16amp 240v EVSE which works off of a 20amp 240v outlet, which is also nice to have. My camper now has a built-in 20amp 240v outlet just for this reason: to charge my LIGHTNING while at a campsite, with the CAMPER being plugged in the 50amp 240v campground outlet.

EVSE units are for charging. That's all they do. They transfer/connect power between the power source and your vehicle - simple. Everything else is fluff.
Sponsored