• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter Weather miles

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT 2023 SR Equipment Group 311A
Hello! I’m considering a 2023 Pro with Standard battery.
I live in New England and regularly travel a 112 mile trip for work in Maine. There are chargers at both ends so it seems like this wouldn’t be an issue. But since I do the drive so regularly, between winter weather battery life and possible long term battery wear I just want to make sure I’ll never have to charge along this 112 mile commute. More specifically, does it help to warm up the Lightning when it’s plugged in? Does that increase cold weather miles? Am I safe with the standard battery?

thank you!!
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yes, warming the truck cabin and battery while plugged in helps a lot with winter range, especially if you have energy available at both ends of your trip, the ideal 240-mile range in fair weather of a SR battery pack is reduced in winter expect 60-70% of ideal [150-170 miles] , but you should be able to make the turnaround if you have enough time at work for replenishing the battery for your return trip.

What is the charging rate at work? If it's ~48 amp @ 240v ie 11KW, would take around ~7 hours to replace the morning drive energy.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
samskeys

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fantastic thank you! I’m almost always at this work location overnight so shouldn’t be an issue with time for charging. It’s a private residence with a level 2, 240 charger. And absolutely on the mor-ev rebate. I also plan on taking advantage of the 1k trade in as well as the 7.5k for the 2023 model. I’m aware of the heat pump addition in the 2024 but I’m not sure I can justify the price increase.
Appreciate the quick response!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Good luck, share a pic of your new Lightning when the deal is done!!

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Worst case scenario would be outside of my comfort zone. In winter with a head wind you might see 1.5 m/kWh on the highway. Put another way, you'll use about 75 kWh one way. That leaves 23 kWh of reserve with an SR battery, which means you'll have to charge to 100% every day.

What is the rate of charge available at work? Can you add 75 kWh in the time you'll be there?

I suggest the ER if you can swing it. If you are doing this drive in an ICE vehicle now you will save a lot of money in fuel. The extra 33 kWh or the ER will allow you to charge to 90% daily which is a bit more healthy for your battery.

Reactions: MBM

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Worst case scenario, there are DCFC options along the routes north of Boston to mid coast Maine

OP
OP
samskeys

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see. I don’t do the drive everyday though. I commute to this location only about 3-4 times a month max. And when I do I always stay the night. Is charging to 100% 3-4 times a month ok for the battery? All other commutes for me are quite short.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I would only charge to 100% just prior to making the big trip north or south, otherwise while staying local at either end keep it around 90%.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The key is going to be the amount of hours on the level 2 charger, and it's power level,

If you use the truck's mobile charger, and you arrived with 10% battery, and want to charge to 100%, and had 15% loss,....

.9 x 98 = 88

30amps x 240v x 85%= 6.1kW

88/6.1= 14.4 hours, not counting your departure time warmup which could take over an hour. Call it 15.5 hours.

If the level 2 charger is permanent, it may be on PlugShare.

OP
OP
samskeys

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you all for this really helpful info. I'm trying to follow the best I can. The charger on the maine side is a level 2 charger mounted to a private residence. I stay at that private home overnight when I do go up so 14 hours + shouldn't be a problem. So I should be all good with the SR right? Seems like I would be from all this info.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I stay at that private home overnight when I do go up so 14 hours + shouldn't be a problem. So I should be all good with the SR right? Seems like I would be from all this info.
Depends on the amperage of the charger. Ohms law says Amps*Volts=Watts. @RickLightning sums it up pretty well above. If the installed charger is higher amperage it will take less time if it's lower amperage it will take more time.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
On my most recent trip I was getting about 168 miles on my SR Lariat going from 80% to about 15%. This was in March in NW Washington and Oregon, speed around 60-65 with 2.2 mi/kWh. Winter makes a difference, I bought in November and have noticed that my mi/kWh are steadily improving as the weather warms. I recall getting around 1.8 earlier, but our winters are not that cold except when they are - and then the highways are impassable.

If you have to drive at 80-85 you might not be happy with a SR but otherwise I think you should be fine. I was just in a rural area that has a magic dock (one of three in my state), the NACS adapter will be a game changer. Tesla people don't seem to think about range, they just bop in for a few minutes, top up, catch up on email and off they go.

OP
OP
samskeys

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Depends on the amperage of the charger. Ohms law says Amps*Volts=Watts. @RickLightning sums it up pretty well above. If the installed charger is higher amperage it will take less time if it's lower amperage it will take more time.
OK I found out that the charger in Maine is a 40amp, 240V level 2 charger off of a house thats on 200amps. Should be able to charge overnight without issue unless I'm missing something...Correct?
Thank you!
Sponsored