Swapping 4x2 tires

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
My 4x2 Lariat Sport will come with 265/60/18 BSW All-Seasons....im thinking of changing tires. Have 2 thoughts:
1) Go with similar 18" AT tire size 275/65/18 that comes on the 4x4...Nitto Grappler or similar OEM Good Year model (more aggressive look)

2) Go with a little wider AS tire 275/285/60/18...maybe a Michelin or Continental (not as aggressive but 265/60/18 will look pretty puny IMHO)

One consideration...probably go on 2-3 long distance trips per year pulling a 3500# Travel Trailer.

Thoughts/Recommendations?
Sponsored

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I understand getting a larger tire to fill up the wheel well but I'm not sure I would go and get a super aggressive tire only having 2WD. I have the FX4 Lariat and mine came with 33"s. Im sure they would fit fine. I'd probably go with a Continental Terrain Contact A/T which isnt quite as aggressive and provides an excellent ride and fuel economy but maintains some aspects of an A/T over H/T type tire. Nice thing about a tamer tire is it's harder to get real stuck and easier to get unstuck. I've got the Continentals on my 4runner and I've only got good things to say about them right now. They replaced Wildpeak AT3Ws because of road noise. I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my work truck and they're ok. They look great but don't grip as much as I thought they would.
Ford F-150 Lightning Swapping 4x2 tires terraincontactat_lt3q_rd

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I understand getting a larger tire to fill up the wheel well but I'm not sure I would go and get a super aggressive tire only having 2WD. I have the FX4 Lariat and mine came with 33"s. Im sure they would fit fine. I'd probably go with a Continental Terrain Contact A/T which isnt quite as aggressive and provides an excellent ride and fuel economy but maintains some aspects of an A/T over H/T type tire. Nice thing about a tamer tire is it's harder to get real stuck and easier to get unstuck. I've got the Continentals on my 4runner and I've only got good things to say about them right now. They replaced Wildpeak AT3Ws because of road noise. I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my work truck and they're ok. They look great but don't grip as much as I thought they would.
terraincontactat_lt3q_rd.png
Point taken...good perspective. I got the nittos on my wrangler...look great and aggressive. I’m a fan of continental...I’ll check them out. You think I should stick with the oem size of 265/60/18 or go with the 275/65/18?

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Point taken...good perspective. I got the nittos on my wrangler...look great and aggressive. I’m a fan of continental...I’ll check them out. You think I should stick with the oem size of 265/60/18 or go with the 275/65/18?
I would def. move up in size just to make it look a bit fuller but how much larger is based on you're opinion. You trade size for minor things like weight and speedometer calibration. Bigger the footprint the more MPGs come off. I use Tire Size Comparison to help make up my mind.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I would def. move up in size just to make it look a bit fuller but how much larger is based on you're opinion. You trade size for minor things like weight and speedometer calibration. Bigger the footprint the more MPGs come off. I use Tire Size Comparison to help make up my mind.
thx I use that site as well...that’s where I came up with the alternate 275-285/60/18 size...I think I’m leaning toward the 275/65/18 size...that definitely takes up more wheel well...but I’m sure I can go bigger but will probably stay a bit conservative

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Tahoe
I'm thinking of making a change from stock wheels/tires to slightly larger, as seen in this comparison. I know this is a minor change, but is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer to match the new tires? Is it even necessary in this case?

Ford F-150 Lightning Swapping 4x2 tires Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 8.53.19 PM
Sponsored