Sponsored

Intelligent Backup Power charger, any new installations yet?

GaryC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep w/openpilot
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone here plan to install the Intelligent Backup Power charger hardware as soon as possible? Any news on this? Thanks!
Sponsored

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
I am worried about the cost. Like everyone we are trying to get more information about price for additional hardware and installation. A guy in the stream chat said he was a contractor and it w as around $2900 for install & hardware as long as you don't need additional electoral work like a service or main panel upgrade. However, I am suspecting it may be more for most people.

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
For perspective, my electrician quoted me $1,300 to run a 14-50 plug to my garage (opposite side of house from panel) and an additional 4-600 to install an Interlok kit to my existing panel. Theoretically, I should then be able to use the NEMA 14-30 outlet in the truck bed to attach to the interlock kit. Much cheaper option than trying to accommodate the Pro charging station (which I would still have to pay extra for since I only have an SR battery)

OP
OP
GaryC

GaryC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep w/openpilot
Occupation
Engineer
Nice data points, thanks guys! Just yesterday an electrician quoted me $2500 to install not only a NEMA 14-50 outlet with 50A 240V circuit breaker, but also including a whole-home transfer switch. This is not the F-150 Lightning Intelligent Backup Power system, apparently because my Ford dealer put me at low priority; Instead we bought a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe plug-in hybrid vehicle, and we love it. I hope that either Ford or Stellantis (RAM) makes a large plug-in hybrid truck with large battery capacity, large gas tank capacity and also high-power outlets like Ford Pro Power Onboard.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
For perspective, my electrician quoted me $1,300 to run a 14-50 plug to my garage (opposite side of house from panel) and an additional 4-600 to install an Interlok kit to my existing panel. Theoretically, I should then be able to use the NEMA 14-30 outlet in the truck bed to attach to the interlock kit. Much cheaper option than trying to accommodate the Pro charging station (which I would still have to pay extra for since I only have an SR battery)
Interlock would be great if it worked with Ford pro power. These trucks have a bonded neutral that is GFCI protected (not just on 120V, but on the 240V as well). In your panel neutral and ground are also bonded. Your truck will see a ground fault and stop the supply of power (or you will have to disconnect the neutral between your truck and the panel (not to code). Search the power boost forum for more details.

Sponsored

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
I have a lot of information on the Home Integration System and the process for ordering it. Not good information though. I know many of the Ford lightning team members by name now and they are not familiar with the process for ordering it through SunRun. SunRun will tell you that they HAVE TO install it for you, even though Ford says that any licensed electrician can (and its documented that way (even on their own website). SunRUn however also controls the Supply Chain for the HIS. This I think is problematic since if I am having a different Solar Provider installing my new solar system or just wanting to order the HIS, SunRUn MAY prioritize their own customers. I think this is already happening. I have a delivery data of 9/2/2022 for the HIS on my order. SunRun says that Ford only allows them to send them to prioritized (by Ford) customers.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have a delivery data of 9/2/2022 for the HIS on my order. SunRun says that Ford only allows them to send them to prioritized (by Ford) customers.
FORD needs to get this straightened out with SUNRUN to support ALL priority customers, you're a ER buyer ....you are a PRIORITY!

Last edited:

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update, SunRun is supposed to contact Lightning Customers around the date of your build date. At that time, you can have them install it themselves or you can order it separately (like I have done) and they are prioritizing their installs over fulfilling those orders. Hence why the estimated delivery of the HIS on my order is September 2022. Can anyone who's build date has passed confirm if they have received a call from SunRun on HIS installs? I do think that having SunRun install the HIS will be an additional cost on top of the cost of the device ($3700). It may be easiest to do my new solar install and the HIS install separately if they can't coordinate. I want the install of the HIS to be part of the solar install bill though to write it off.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD needs to get this straightened out with SUNRUN to support ALL priority customers, you're a ER buyer ....you are a PRIORITY!
Your message to gods ears... The process I described above makes sense though. The dude admitted though that they were priotizing SunRun customers over non SunRun customers though. FYI

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
As previously mentioned you won't get anywhere with that (and remain within code). You need to use something like a Generac 6852 installed correctly.

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Update, SunRun is supposed to contact Lightning Customers around the date of your build date. At that time, you can have them install it themselves or you can order it separately (like I have done) and they are prioritizing their installs over fulfilling those orders. Hence why the estimated delivery of the HIS on my order is September 2022. Can anyone who's build date has passed confirm if they have received a call from SunRun on HIS installs? I do think that having SunRun install the HIS will be an additional cost on top of the cost of the device ($3700). It may be easiest to do my new solar install and the HIS install separately if they can't coordinate. I want the install of the HIS to be part of the solar install bill though to write it off.
Build date has passed. No contact from SunRun. There has been some info that sun run is $7700 for HIS+ $1500 for 100amp circuit.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Build date has passed. No contact from SunRun. There has been some info that sun run is $7700 for HIS+ $1500 for 100amp circuit.
We know the HIS is actually $3700. I have a standing order for it through AEE express. The install of it is the other question... They will probably sub it out though considering they are doing the install, even in states where they don't have a solar presence.
AEE Express- The online store of AEE Solar, wholesale distributor of solar products and equipment - Home Integration System

And by the way, if you want to order it and your build date has passed, you could try calling SunRun at 833-324-5886

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
As previously mentioned you won't get anywhere with that (and remain within code). You need to use something like a Generac 6852 installed correctly.
Which code section would that be (keep in mind the service panel would no longer be the service equipment if the truck is made to be the power source)?

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Interlock would be great if it worked with Ford pro power. These trucks have a bonded neutral that is GFCI protected (not just on 120V, but on the 240V as well). In your panel neutral and ground are also bonded. Your truck will see a ground fault and stop the supply of power (or you will have to disconnect the neutral between your truck and the panel (not to code). Search the power boost forum for more details.
I think TFL solved this in one of their videos though. You just need to set up the “generator” connection with a switchable neutral. Working with my electrician to understand how it works best. It has to be doable, or all GFCI generators would be incompatible with home backup

Reactions: cag

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Generac 6852 has a switched neutral. The reliance x series generator transfer switches also switch the neutral , though I have not seen them for sale. However this will not function as a whole home solution. The generac is for critical loads up to 8 circuits (I think).
Sponsored