Sponsored

Powertrain malfunction on a 2023 Lariat ER. Haven't heard anything back from dealer for a week.

Freddyfresh

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Construction
I was able to drive with reduced power, but not able to charge at home. The first time I tried it charged for a few minutes and then gave a charge fault. After that it gave a charge fault immediately when I tried again. Some folks were able to DCFC.

As noted, this error has many causes. Depending on the root cause (and whether you had the CSP performed) you may or may not be able to charge and/or drive.
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.
Sponsored

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I’m now 3-weeks in. The error occurred for me on my second day of ownership. SO I haven’t had my brand new truck since then. Now I have some free trial items that are already expiring before I even get a chance to use them. Ford Canada customer service is absolutely useless as well as their roadside assistance. As much as I like the truck, I will definitely not buy another Ford without substantial evidence that they have improved.

tommyb

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Welcome to the party folks.

OP - Go to the dealer and talk to them, maybe even involve the service manager (not in a rude way). When I and the Ford CSR tried reaching the service person via phone, I got no answer or return calls. Turns out that person only checked their personal phone. Once I got his direct number, he was easy to reach and get updates.

Second thing is something I wish I'd done earlier in the process. Look up the template online for the certified letter you can send Ford to initiate lemon law. It basically tells them they have 30 days to fix the car before you take action to have the car lemon'd. Only catch is, the thirty days technically starts upon diagnosing the issue. Still, that triggers a legal analyst to create a case and potentially involve Ford engineers, not to mention opens the door for a buy back if things go south.

Seeing as you got the Ford Edge, we may be in the same area. That was the last loaner I got from the local dealer.

Tommy - I had the diverter valve issue when I was working in Indiana/Kentucky. The first time the service light came on, I took it in, attempted diagnosis, found coolant a little low so they cleared the codes and returned. Light came on the next day again; it went back in and it took them about 10 days to diagnose. Then, the back ordered part took another two weeks to show up and get installed. I pick up my truck at the Indiana dealer, and immediately have the service light back on with the same code. Drove it back to Texas. Local dealer came up with same diagnosis. Replaced the replacement diverter, and issue is resolved.

This is a long way of saying that I'd expect your car to be down at least 3 weeks total.

I had the same issue about being told they could reimburse rentals, but none would pre-approve in writing despite my requests. Luckily, the dealers I used had loaners, even if they weren't comparable. Suggest sending the certified letter I mentioned above. I sent mine in around week 3. I went through four buy back requests, and on the fourth I got it approved, but at that point the vehicle had been to the shop three times, and over 30 days of shop time post diagnosis.

It's been a royal pain, but the only good thing that's come of this is a chance to start over with Ford in a new truck after putting 12k miles in 6 months on mine. I've mention in other threads how I'm weighing whether to replace or change my truck, and your thread is giving me PTSD on replacing with LER. Weird that our trucks had similar mileage when the coolant valve went out though.
Good info, thanks! Your estimated timeframe was spot on. Once the diverter valve finally arrived, my dealer made quick work of the replacement. Total time was three weeks. My dealer didn't have a loaner vehicle available (they offer loaners but all were in use by others) so for now I'm out the cost of a rental vehicle for three weeks. I contacted the BEV team as I've read here that others had success in getting a rental vehicle covered, but I got no help other than suggestion to submit a claim to Ford. I'll try once more with the BEV team but looking like I have to submit a claim and I'm not optimistic. Bummer, Ford should cover my rental or at least help with that cost since the issue was caused by a defective part under warranty.

In any case my truck is back to normal, and hoping it stays that way. But I've been keeping good documentation in case I have to trigger a lemon law/buyback process. BTW, this is my second Powertrain/Malfunction issue although in both cases I didn't experience actual power loss as others have noted. The first I posted on another thread in these forums, but that was related to a gear shift module that was triggering a warning. That turned out to be only a few days and simple part replacement. Massively crossing fingers I don't get another one of these warnings that actually involves a battery module. Thanks to all, these forums are a great source of information, and therapy :) .

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Good info, thanks! Your estimated timeframe was spot on. Once the diverter valve finally arrived, my dealer made quick work of the replacement. Total time was three weeks. My dealer didn't have a loaner vehicle available (they offer loaners but all were in use by others) so for now I'm out the cost of a rental vehicle for three weeks. I contacted the BEV team as I've read here that others had success in getting a rental vehicle covered, but I got no help other than suggestion to submit a claim to Ford. I'll try once more with the BEV team but looking like I have to submit a claim and I'm not optimistic. Bummer, Ford should cover my rental or at least help with that cost since the issue was caused by a defective part under warranty.

In any case my truck is back to normal, and hoping it stays that way. But I've been keeping good documentation in case I have to trigger a lemon law/buyback process. BTW, this is my second Powertrain/Malfunction issue although in both cases I didn't experience actual power loss as others have noted. The first I posted on another thread in these forums, but that was related to a gear shift module that was triggering a warning. That turned out to be only a few days and simple part replacement. Massively crossing fingers I don't get another one of these warnings that actually involves a battery module. Thanks to all, these forums are a great source of information, and therapy :) .
Glad you got your truck back! I think there's a decent chance your claim will work. I don't see any scenario where it's okay for them to leave you without a vehicle on a brand new truck purchase.

Definitely keep you documentation. One day in the shop can mean the difference to get approval for lemon/buyback if it ever goes that way.

If it's any consolation, since the last coolant valve repair I've added another 1-2k miles, and no powertrain issues.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Were you guys able to keep driving after the warning came up on your car? My dealer has no loaners available.
Mine was coolant valve related, and I was able to continue driving. However, it was during the winter months, and I was primarily highway driving, so less risk of heat related issues.

Sponsored

Freddyfresh

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Construction
Mine was coolant valve related, and I was able to continue driving. However, it was during the winter months, and I was primarily highway driving, so less risk of heat related issues.
So I turned my car on after 8hrs from the warning alert. And the alert is gone. Spoke to ford and said to bring the car into the dealership if the warning sign goes on again. They said there's no recalls on my vehicle for now. I'm on the waiting list for loaner on my dealership just in case. I'm driving my car normal right now no issues.

OP
OP

cargsl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I turned my car on after 8hrs from the warning alert. And the alert is gone. Spoke to ford and said to bring the car into the dealership if the warning sign goes on again. They said there's no recalls on my vehicle for now. I'm on the waiting list for loaner on my dealership just in case. I'm driving my car normal right now no issues.
This happened to me too. It took about a month from the first time it came on to the second. But afterwards the light didn't go away

Freddyfresh

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Construction
This happened to me too. It took about a month from the first time it came on to the second. But afterwards the light didn't go away
Thanks for that info

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Dealer didn't have loaners, and they've been no help with rental car assistance. Tried the BEV team, also no help. That person said I could always submit receipts to Ford's Consumer Affairs Department and request reimbursement. Whatever. I'll do it but doubt it will help. So at this point I'm out my truck, accruing rental car charges and have no idea for how long this will last. All for work that is clearly within warranty.
You can get money back from Ford once the repair is complete, but the caveat is that your rental has to be a Ford vehicle. If you are not renting a Ford, ask your rental car company to switch you.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Spoke to the salesman, still waiting on parts. My customer advocate from Ford Canada sent me this message shortly thereafter:

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain malfunction on a 2023 Lariat ER. Haven't heard anything back from dealer for a week. IMG_6833

These guys are useless.

Sponsored

Airboss

First Name
TImothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lighting
Occupation
Airport Operations Manager
Sorry, its been hetic at work and life. I am still without my truck. We are at almost three months. Last month, I finally got a loner vehicle but was told not to drive it more than 2k miles, keep my dogs out of it, and not to drive it out of state. Really no new updates. The truck has been sitting for a while due to the national hold on the software update. I asked for Ford to start the buyback process and was told they would, but then found it they didn't. Another rep has taken over my case, and has processed a buyback but it still pending. If I don't hear anything at the end of the week, I am going to look for a lemon law attorney here in Colorado and go that route.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Each request for a buy back you send should take 5-7 business day for approval or rejection. It took me four times and the certified letter to finally get approval. Stick with it, and stay up with your documentation. They are trying to help, but also keep in mind they are about to be on the hook for major cost impacts if you do go through the buyback, so it won’t be a cake walk either otherwise many would try to game the system.

When it finally gets approved and they assign you the RAV rep it gets much better and easier. That rep is more responsive and effective. I just submitted an order for my replacement vehicle and once again excited about my Ford ownership experience when it arrives in the next couple of months.

OP
OP

cargsl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finally got my truck back today. Everything seems to be in working order, but only time will tell

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
🤞

BuzzLightning2023

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
92 Explorer,94 F150,06 Avalanche,05 F250,11 F150
My ‘23 XLT with about 7500 miles on it took an absolute dump today. Crapped out in rush hour traffic three times telling me to stop safely now. I was able to coast to safety and it seemed to reset. Then on the way home it just stopped dead in a left turn lane. Ford app showed high voltage battery warning. After about 30 tries, it came back to life and I was able to get it home, then to dealer. I have a feeling I won’t see it for a while…
Sponsored