Trip Report: North Austin exurbs to Corpus Christi/Padre

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I got back yesterday. So basically I drove from north of Austin, stopped in Luling for my first charge at Buccees (Tesla charger), then stopped in Cuero, TX to charge at an EV Connect, and got to the hotel at the Padre Island entrance nearest the naval base. The Best Western there has a destination charger. I was teetering between 1.6 and 1.7, but I'd say solid 1.7 at arrival. On the way back, same road, similar weather, and 48 hours later it was ranging 1.7-1.9.

Driving style was straight middle of the road. I didn't baby it, and didn't goose it. Just cruising on BC and following the speed limit. No overtaking attempts or anything like that on the two lane roads. We were 3/4 loaded. Wife, kids, a couple of bags and beach gear for the weekend trip. I love the space, I was able to fit everything with minimal hassle. Going to really miss the frunk.

Left with 100%, total cost for on the road charging was $75.83 plus $11.48 ($.14 kw) to charge back to 100% at home. In all the trip was $88.31. It was 239kw total for our round trip. About 550 miles total. Easy trip, but wouldn't have been as pleasant w/o the destination charger which unfortunately limits our stay options to two hotels on opposite ends of that part of the island at this time.

I'm glad I didn't follow either the Apple or Ford GOM as I would have cut it really close getting there, and would have been in a tough situation if anything was wrong with the destination charger. I just used the usual trusty 1.7 mi/kw efficiency times the percentage battery that I use on non-cold weather long haul highway trips.
Sponsored

RRINN

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Platinum, 2023 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
VAF84, thanks for the trip report. I'm getting ready to make the trip from Cedar Park to Port Aransas next week and have been plotting different paths with ABRP. I was not aware of the EV Connect charge station in Cuero, so I think I'll take that route. I can hit that station on the way and then top off at the Corpus Christi Supercharger so I can have plenty of "drive-around" charge while at the beach.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
VAF84, thanks for the trip report. I'm getting ready to make the trip from Cedar Park to Port Aransas next week and have been plotting different paths with ABRP. I was not aware of the EV Connect charge station in Cuero, so I think I'll take that route. I can hit that station on the way and then top off at the Corpus Christi Supercharger so I can have plenty of "drive-around" charge while at the beach.
Cool! Yep, that's why I posted this. I know there's a lot of people who head that way from this area, and it is a little harder to find charging spots in that part of Texas. If you have the Tesla adapter it helps a lot.

The Cuero stop was perfect. It's a halfway point, and there's picnic tables or a little restaurat attached. The place is called "The EVthing". I stopped in Luling mostly because some reviews said the charging place was out of order when they checked in on PlugShare, and I wanted to make certain I could make it to Corpus comfortably if that was the case. Also, a lot of the initial electron burn is from the 80-85mph speed limit on the 130 toll, nice to re-up after that.

This alternative route is also a lot more relaxed than going via SA. Scenic and laid back drive, also a lot of places of historic significance in Texas history along the way.

FYI getting in and out of Buccees in Luling was a nightmare along the way because of construction for their expansion. Plenty of Tesla stalls to charge, but getting in and out may take an extra 15 minutes depending on when you go. The traffic backed out into the road. I think there's another DC fast charger nearby, maybe a Chargepoint that I'd probably try over trying to get into Buccees had I known how bad it would be. It was around 3pm on a Friday.
Sponsored