Sponsored

Roadtrip from MA to DC, with Tesla Superchargers and A2Z adapter.... any tips?

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Hello everyone! I will be taking a road trip from MA to Washington DC in a few weeks. My A2Z adapter will arrive tomorrow, so it will be Tesla charging all the way.

Of course I will still do my route planning, ABRP, PlugShare, etc... but wanted to know if there were any must see / must avoid tips regarding Tesla supercharger stops along the way? Or any other good-to-know things?

TIA
Sponsored

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I just did a Maine to Baltimore trip with my A2Z and almost all Tesla. I-95, I-495, I-290, I-84, I-684 (had a load on the roof and was too tall for the Hudson Valley parkway system), I-287, Garden State Pkwy, I-95, NJ Tpk. Expect you'll be on much the same route. I had no issues at Sturbridge MA, Brewster NY, and South River NJ.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Not familiar with the chargers on your rout but generally if all spots are empty, I would try to take the right most spot. or spot next to another Lightning or another lefty EV (charging spot on opposite of Tesla).

I would get a Supercharger membership for a discount.

I doubt you will have any problems, but I would checkout the traffic and the cost on superchargers you plan to use for different times of the day during planning.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Hello everyone! I will be taking a road trip from MA to Washington DC in a few weeks. My A2Z adapter will arrive tomorrow, so it will be Tesla charging all the way.

Of course I will still do my route planning, ABRP, PlugShare, etc... but wanted to know if there were any must see / must avoid tips regarding Tesla supercharger stops along the way? Or any other good-to-know things?

TIA
You shouldn’t have any problems with the A2Z adapter. It works fine with my truck. Like other members have mentioned, get the membership set up for the discounts. Get familiar with it(Tesla membership). Do not plug in first or you pay the Ford network rate.
Open your Tesla app, log in and plan your trip. Some Tesla locations don’t allow/use the adapter. Plan your trip by verifying the stations that accept the adapter. You will not know what is the charge rate of any of the stations until you get there. Initiate charging thru your Tesla app. Once you are in the location, open the app, open the page “charge your non Tesla vehicle “, Charge Here and find the stall # you going to hook up to. Initiate the charging, the app will ask you to connect the adapter to the Tesla receptacle, verify that locking mechanism on the A2Z adapter is on by sliding it in the locked position. Insert the contraption to the truck’s receptacle. You need to hear the clicking sound. Make sure also that the connection of the adapter to the Tesla cable is done firmly.
If the Tesla app doesn’t show your charge rate and the % bar on your phone, discontinue the charge and try again the process. If you don’t care about the discount then engage the adaptor to the Tesla receptacle, insert it to the charging port of the truck and wait few seconds. Charging at Tesla superchargers is seamless.
I have used my A2Z adapter both on my Mach E and my Lightning.
It works. Do your planning, check the availability 20 miles out and have EA as your backup. Safe travels.

OP
OP
G-Zeus

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Thanks for the tips. I was mostly curious if there were some Tesla stops that were better / more interesting than others (in terms of convenience in/out, amenities, etc)

Sponsored
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Occupation
Retire
Definitely use the Tesla App. Follow instructions on it and ensure you sign up for the membership. $12.99 a month definitely worth it. Always cancel when done with the trip. When searching for charging spots ensure you identify your vehicle on the App, it will only identify charging spot allow for the adopters. Other sites will identify Tesla sites but may be for NAS only.
Just completed a round trip from update NY to Naples Fl using mostly Teslas sites.
Good luck on the trip and enjoy.

OP
OP
G-Zeus

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Definitely use the Tesla App. Follow instructions on it and ensure you sign up for the membership. $12.99 a month definitely worth it. Always cancel when done with the trip. When searching for charging spots ensure you identify your vehicle on the App, it will only identify charging spot allow for the adopters. Other sites will identify Tesla sites but may be for NAS only.
Just completed a round trip from update NY to Naples Fl using mostly Teslas sites.
Good luck on the trip and enjoy.
Already done! And my adapter just arrived today, so I'm all set!
Sponsored