• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Camper towing question - do I need antisway bar for 3300 LBS camper?

WoodstockC

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX and GMC Yukon
I have a build week of 4/19 for my XLT,SCREW, 5.0., with Trailer tow package. I have a 17' (21'OA) camper that weighs 3300 LB loaded. My dealer tells me I won't need an anti-sway hitch since anti-sway control is built into the truck.. Will I need one?
Sponsored

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I have a build week of 4/19 for my XLT,SCREW, 5.0., with Trailer tow package. I have a 17' (21'OA) camper that weighs 3300 LB loaded. My dealer tells me I won't need an anti-sway hitch since anti-sway control is built into the truck.. Will I need one?
I agree with the dealer here. You should be fine.

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
I would say you probably don't need one but not because it's built into the truck...

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 highlander, 2007 Ranger
Our trailer is 3800# loaded. When my XLT, PB, screw 6.5 box comes, I don’t plan on using an anti sway bar. I do plan on an WD Hitch though.

we have the same build week :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
WoodstockC

WoodstockC

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX and GMC Yukon
Our trailer is 3800# loaded. When my XLT, PB, screw 6.5 box comes, I don’t plan on using an anti sway bar. I do plan on an WD Hitch though.

we have the same build week :)
What's the tounge weight on your trailer? I don't plan on adding one on mine. My wife wants to take it when I'm traveling. It's too difficult for her to pry the bars on.

Dealer gave me the build week but it's not showing on the tracker. Hope there's no delay.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I am not an expert but it seems to me that the answer depends upon the weight distribution. If it is front heavy - then not. If, for some reason, rear is loaded - you will have an issue...

OP
OP
WoodstockC

WoodstockC

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX and GMC Yukon
I am not an expert but it seems to me that the answer depends upon the weight distribution. If it is front heavy - then not. If, for some reason, rear is loaded - you will have an issue...
I try to even out the load.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I want to start off by saying this is just my opinion. Towing anything behind your vehicle has the potential to increase the risk of a accident. Especially if not done correctly. My first advise would be to talk to a qualified person, preferably face to face. Your salesman at the dealership is typically not that person. With that said, I have been towing with my trucks since I was 18 years old (48 now) and have many thousands of miles under my belt. Everything from campers, horse trailers, car trailers and dump trailers.

The biggest thing in your post that concerned me is " I won't need an anti-sway hitch since anti-sway control is built into the truck.. " I believe this is wrong and NOT what the engineers at Ford intended. I consider it a last line of defense in accident prevention. It is not meant to replace a mechanical anti sway system on your hitch.

Second, while 3300 pounds isn't a tremendous amount of weight, that's not the determining factor of whether you need a anti sway bar or not. It is mostly determined on HOW that weight is distributed on what you are hauling. For example is it top heavy? Is the weight centered over the axles? How much tongue weight do you have? I have seen 500 pound lawnmowers on a lightweight trailer flipped off on the side of the interstate because they started swaying (fishtailing) until it broke loose.

So talk to knowledgeable people, use your best judgment and take extra precautions. The last thing you want is to have a trailer sway issue on that trip that causes you to lose control, putting yourself and others safety at risk.

If it helps, the below picture is what I run on all my trailers that don't require a WDH (weight distribution hitch). That one is 55 bucks on Amazon. Cheap insurance.

Ford F-150 Lightning Camper towing question - do I need antisway bar for 3300 LBS camper? sb

Sponsored

Dave55N

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 highlander, 2007 Ranger
What's the tounge weight on your trailer? I don't plan on adding one on mine. My wife wants to take it when I'm traveling. It's too difficult for her to pry the bars on.

Dealer gave me the build week but it's not showing on the tracker. Hope there's no delay.
Here is my trailer:
https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/185BH/1593

I’ll probably pull it once without the distribution hitch to see how it goes first and then better judgement will get ahold of me.

Last edited:

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Ford F-150 Lightning Camper towing question - do I need antisway bar for 3300 LBS camper? Screenshot_20210401-203412_Chrome

Here's another opinion, because I know you want one. ;)
If you crawl on your back and look up at your hitch there is a sticker on there from Ford. It probably says, If you have less than 500 pounds on your hitch.... weight distribution is NOT needed. But I guess it can't hurt. I believe it will also have a number like *1200 or 1500 you can put on your hitch if you are using weight distribution. (Of course payload and other #s reduce these hitch #s)
As you know, IYour specs say 350 pounds.

But, I know you asked about anti-sway.
I guess my only concern would be perhaps severe winds?

somebody once told me if my trailer ever starts to get out of control, Slide the brake control lever over and hit the brakes on the trailer.
*This is not advice.

I have towed approximately 6000 lb with a 22 foot trailer and my Kubota B series tractor... without weight distribution or anti-sway... I did this with my 2014 Ford F-150 with Max trailer tow.... but I never towed in high winds and obviously the profile of a camper is much different...

I offer no advice and basically just my observations ...It's another opinion for you to mull over. ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
WoodstockC

WoodstockC

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX and GMC Yukon
I want to start off by saying this is just my opinion. Towing anything behind your vehicle has the potential to increase the risk of a accident. Especially if not done correctly. My first advise would be to talk to a qualified person, preferably face to face. Your salesman at the dealership is typically not that person. With that said, I have been towing with my trucks since I was 18 years old (48 now) and have many thousands of miles under my belt. Everything from campers, horse trailers, car trailers and dump trailers.

The biggest thing in your post that concerned me is " I won't need an anti-sway hitch since anti-sway control is built into the truck.. " I believe this is wrong and NOT what the engineers at Ford intended. I consider it a last line of defense in accident prevention. It is not meant to replace a mechanical anti sway system on your hitch.

Second, while 3300 pounds isn't a tremendous amount of weight, that's not the determining factor of whether you need a anti sway bar or not. It is mostly determined on HOW that weight is distributed on what you are hauling. For example is it top heavy? Is the weight centered over the axles? How much tongue weight do you have? I have seen 500 pound lawnmowers on a lightweight trailer flipped off on the side of the interstate because they started swaying (fishtailing) until it broke loose.

So talk to knowledgeable people, use your best judgment and take extra precautions. The last thing you want is to have a trailer sway issue on that trip that causes you to lose control, putting yourself and others safety at risk.

If it helps, the below picture is what I run on all my trailers that don't require a WDH (weight distribution hitch). That one is 55 bucks on Amazon. Cheap insurance.

sb.jpg
Thank you, I've been trailering for about 40 years. Boats up to 12k lb to 3k lb enclosed trailers. I was surprised that the Ford salesperson who has years of experience told me I didn't need a anti-sway control other that the built in. In the recent 4 years I have not done any trailering with a vehicle that had built in sway control. I have looked at the friction devices and will put one on since it's easy for my wife to attach. Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
WoodstockC

WoodstockC

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX and GMC Yukon
Screenshot_20210401-203412_Chrome.jpg

Here's another opinion, because I know you want one. ;)
If you crawl on your back and look up at your hitch there is a sticker on there from Ford. It probably says, If you have less than 500 pounds on your hitch.... weight distribution is NOT needed. I believe it will also have a number like *1200 or 1500 you can put on your hitch if you are using weight distribution. (Of course payload and other #s reduce these hitch #s)
Your specs say 350 pounds.

But, I know you asked about anti-sway.
I guess my only concern would be perhaps severe winds?

somebody once told me if my trailer ever starts to get out of control, Slide the brake control lever over and hit the brakes on the trailer.
*This is not advice.
It's another opinion for you to mull over. ?
Yes but not worried about going near 500 LBs with this trailer. Wind is always a factor in New England.
Sponsored