• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Over the air updates: WiFi needed?

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
I know the 2021 will update itself over the air, but for this to happen does it need to be hooked up to the house Wifi, or will it look for and do updates from the built-in cellular modem w/o WiFi being involved?

Asking because my home WiFi signal is not so good where the truck is parked
Sponsored

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 2021 ranger 2020
this is the info from the 2021 f150 WSM:

Overview

Over the Air (OTA) Programming

Over-the-Air updates allow for vehicle system software to be updated wirelessly over Wi-Fi (both private and or public Wi-Fi connection) and or the vehicle cellular network. Over-the-Air updates occur on a rolling basis. By default, the vehicle starts the update process as soon as new software becomes available, notifications of software update availability are displayed on the vehicle display screen.

The Over-the-Air Updates are available for vehicles that are factory equipped with GWM, TCU and APIM with Ethernet communication network connections.

Some OTA updates can complete in the background, more complex updates can take up to 45 minutes to complete and the vehicle will be disabled during the update process. These more complex updates must be scheduled by the customer, to complete at a time convenient for them. If an OTA update becomes available that is required to be scheduled, the customer is notified through the vehicle display screen, remotely through the FordPass app and via e-mail where available.

During scheduled updates the vehicle will not function. The vehicle is inhibited by design when the OTA software update is being installed to the receiving module(s). Scheduled updates may take up to 45 minutes to complete.

Certain conditions must be met for a scheduled update installation to complete. If these conditions are not met, the update is cancelled. Cancelled updates can be rescheduled for a time when the conditions can be met.

The vehicle display screen displays a 2 minute countdown prior to the scheduled update start time, to give the customer the opportunity to cancel the update if necessary. Once the update has started it can not be canceled.

Details of the over the air (OTA) update release status can be can be viewed on the PTS Connected Vehicle tab.

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you! Hopefully it will do it's thing without it being hooked up to Wifi

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
I can confirm. No wifi needed and the ota was done with my truck in the garage.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I haven't received an OTA yet. I wonder what the holdup is?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
January.

OP
OP
jfdube999

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hmm not sure, but a few months ago Ford said they were pushing out an OTA update, but which production dates did this apply to? Mine got built end of Feb and it says it's up to date as of today. Yours was obviously made before mine, but what was Ford's cut off date for this update? Don't know

Chewza

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 AMB Plat PB
OTA updates from any manufacturer RARELY go out to everyone at the same time.

Some of this is to reduce load on the distribution servers.
Otherwise it's to isolate potential issues with the first rollouts.
They wait for feedback on the initial rollout and then stagger the rollout to a wider audience if they didn't start bricking things.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
Just had an OTA update today and I can't figure out what they updated. When I look on Ford pass, it just says Bug fixes and other updates but does not say what problems they were fixing, or what they were improving.
Has anyone noticed a difference after an update?
Sponsored