• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I had no intention of doing this, but fate had other plans for me and I let nature take it's course. Driving on the sandy beach next to the lake was 'fun', and it was beautiful... but something deep in my gut kept grumbling... 'release the beast'. Instinctively, although never having done this, my hand reached for the button to deactivate the traction control, and it was as if the 2,000 lbs battery somehow sent electricity through the steering wheel, passing through my hands and into the base of my spine.

What followed was a blur, some of which I fortunately captured to share with those who need a nudge to seek out this nirvana. As adrenaline surged through my body and I maxed out the ventilated seats to try and cool the sweat on my lower back, an observer waved me down from his minivan. His face was in shock, and his wife held at least 1 (maybe more) fussing children in the front seat of the van with a massive smile on her face. He muttered confidently "That... was... AWESOME. It looked like you were in a commercial out there- the ones where it warns 'DO NOT ATTEMPT: professional drivers on a closed course.'" His was standing next to him, holding sand in each hand as he spun in a circle and let the sand fly, whispering "awesome!"

I couldn't get the smile off my face as we drove back towards one of the only chargers in the area (free to boot), as I had long since left the remaining mileage I needed to get home back in the clouds of sand. Had I experienced trouble at the charger or struggled to make it home, I daresay I would not have regretted the adventure. To clarify: driving like that in the sand DEVOURED power. Felt like I dropped 50 miles in 20 minutes. Worth every kW.

Sponsored

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Nice! I am headed to Mississippi on Wednesday. I might have to see if there is a drivable location over there where I could experience this. It definitely looked fun as hell.

OP
OP
TruckPowered

TruckPowered

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
Nice! I am headed to Mississippi on Wednesday. I might have to see if there is a drivable location over there where I could experience this. It definitely looked fun as hell.
I'm sure driving any capable vehicle on sand like this is a blast, but something about the Lightning just feels so effortless. I am still finding sand in every possible location in/on the truck, so be prepared for that...

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I had no intention of doing this, but fate had other plans
Is that the name of your drone?

If people put videos of Rivian with lumber in the back, it is time we see more videos of Lightning having fun out there.

Great work on the video.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I'm sure driving any capable vehicle on sand like this is a blast, but something about the Lightning just feels so effortless. I am still finding sand in every possible location in/on the truck, so be prepared for that...
have you had the chance in a Raptor? Curious of your comparison.

On one hand, the Lightning has certain aspects of power not available in the Raptor.

On the other hand, the >1/2 the Raptor’s magic is in the suspension/tire combo.

Down Here on the Gulf of Mexico, on many stretches the unkept (bumpy) beach runs parallel to the highway by a few hundred yards away - I first fell in love with the Raptor on the unkept beach, passing folks driving the same direction over on the highway.

Great video, thanks!

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
It's almost like it was a rental car I was driving. Good job!

gg1919

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER - Star White Metallic
Watching this as a drone pilot, amateur video editor, and future lightning owner with an appreciation for creative writing...

BRA-VO sir. Well done.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
have you had the chance in a Raptor? Curious of your comparison.

On one hand, the Lightning has certain aspects of power not available in the Raptor.

On the other hand, the >1/2 the Raptor’s magic is in the suspension/tire combo.

Down Here on the Gulf of Mexico, on many stretches the unkept (bumpy) beach runs parallel to the highway by a few hundred yards away - I first fell in love with the Raptor on the unkept beach, passing folks driving the same direction over on the highway.

Great video, thanks!
Bringing back fond memories of driving the upper beach to Port Mansfield in high school (~1980) while my buddy drove the lower beach in his ~'68 Bronco. The beach had periodic heaves every 100' or so. He was getting air on every one. Perfect for a Raptor at 50 mph, but nowadays the turtle police will get you!

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I had no intention of doing this, but fate had other plans for me and I let nature take it's course. Driving on the sandy beach next to the lake was 'fun', and it was beautiful... but something deep in my gut kept grumbling... 'release the beast'. Instinctively, although never having done this, my hand reached for the button to deactivate the traction control, and it was as if the 2,000 lbs battery somehow sent electricity through the steering wheel, passing through my hands and into the base of my spine.

What followed was a blur, some of which I fortunately captured to share with those who need a nudge to seek out this nirvana. As adrenaline surged through my body and I maxed out the ventilated seats to try and cool the sweat on my lower back, an observer waved me down from his minivan. His face was in shock, and his wife held at least 1 (maybe more) fussing children in the front seat of the van with a massive smile on her face. He muttered confidently "That... was... AWESOME. It looked like you were in a commercial out there- the ones where it warns 'DO NOT ATTEMPT: professional drivers on a closed course.'" His was standing next to him, holding sand in each hand as he spun in a circle and let the sand fly, whispering "awesome!"

I couldn't get the smile off my face as we drove back towards one of the only chargers in the area (free to boot), as I had long since left the remaining mileage I needed to get home back in the clouds of sand. Had I experienced trouble at the charger or struggled to make it home, I daresay I would not have regretted the adventure. To clarify: driving like that in the sand DEVOURED power. Felt like I dropped 50 miles in 20 minutes. Worth every kW.

That was a great video- thanks! Did you have any areas of soft sand? Most of that beach looked really packed hard compared to the sand I normally drive in. Did you lower the tire pressure at all?

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
That was a great video- thanks! Did you have any areas of soft sand? Most of that beach looked really packed hard compared to the sand I normally drive in. Did you lower the tire pressure at all?
Took my Lightning on the beach yesterday- it drove easily with the tires at 20 psi- much smoother than my previous F150 and no transmission heating! Sand was pretty hard now but the few patches of loose sand were no problem with the tires aired down.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sand Driving with Traction Control Deactivated a MUST Lightning_on_the_beach_20230308e
Sponsored