• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone have part # for soft close tailgate hinge?

destro_23

First Name
Destro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT SR
Anyone have part # for soft close tailgate hinge? I ordered one from dealership and its soft close up not down… I checked every different position…there is only one way it goes in.. I flipped the hydronic hinge and doesn’t function differently. It’s like the hydraulic arm is soft in wrong direction.
Sponsored

OP
OP

destro_23

First Name
Destro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT SR
Damn.. that’s the one I supposedly have… super easy to install, but it can literally only mount one way.. I could just be doing something simple wrong but it’s literally damping only when you close
it on the way up…and falling like a rock on open lol..

I’ll go back to dealer in the morning and return it. The box was retaped when I got it.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Which side of the truck did you mount the part?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
right, mine is only for the LEFT/Driver side of the tailgate, and must have the 'extension end' of the strut DOWN: and it works perfectly...
although the first few inches you may find yourself reaching up to 'catch' it thinking that it's falling, but then it is suddenly caught by the arm and makes it's way down slowly - nice. I'm enjoying not having to worry about it falling abruptly on my camper's hitch post. It DOES lean on it, but I simply carry a towel or similar soft item to let it lean on.

btw, today, while I've been using ProPower to provide power to the camper constantly while traveling, via an extension cord from the bed, over the tailgate, and to the front of the camper, I found that Ford really gives you some good options if you need to run an extension cord BETWEEN the tailgate and the bed, and down under the bumper/frame. There is enough room to fish the large end of a heavy-duty extension cord at the driver side bottom corner, and plenty of holes and shafts along the underside of the bumper and the hitch... this means that my extension cord is no longer hanging over the edge of the tailgate, but comes out at the bottom at the hitch looking almost like it was meant to be made for that location. Sweet.

Now, you campers are going to ask me the obvious question: What do you mean you are running an extension cord from your truck's bed to your camper? How can you get the extension cord to your camper's power cord?
Well, for my small camper, like the truck, there are actually a lot of framing and holes underneath the camper, from the front hitch/a-frame, all the way to the rear bumper... or even up and into the side inlet where you pull your power cord from. I ran a 20amp heavy-duty 20' extension cord from the hitch post, all the way underneath to the bumper, where I tied the end off with a zip tie. I use an adapter to plug my 30amp power cord into, which DOES exit the rear side of my camper, and back onto the bumper, but I used some clips to keep it attached to the side of the camper. Works fine.
(I simply use a shorter version of that same type cord from the bed's 20amp outlet, thru the bumper, and across the hitch/couple for the camper's extension cord to plug into. I can unplug this when I detach the truck from the camper, or, as today, I am keeping my truck attached to my camper at the campground, charging the truck from the campground's outlet(s), and continuing to power the camper thru the truck)

This powers not only our RV Fridge, without having to worry about propane, but also another 120v mini-fridge, plus several floor and table fans to keep air moving, etc. It's nice to step inside at a charging stop and find the environment so much nicer than the stuffy and hot camper that we are normally used to.

If I get into a time when the Air Conditioner is needed, I CAN simply unplug the rear extension cord, and run the camper's 30amp power cord forward all the way to the bed of the truck, where it plugs into the 30amp 240v outlet, with a 50-30amp adapter. There's then no worry if the 'extension cords' can handle the air conditioner's amperage draw, though they certainly can, until you decide to also run the microwave at the same time, etc.

If your RV or camper has the separate 'twist lock' external power cord, though, you'll have to figure out another way to get power from the truck - that would present a different issue since a twist lock power cord sticking out from your camper might not work well. Running an extension cord thru a window or slide seal or something creative might work, but then it's also not able to run your whole camper, it would only be an extension cord you could plug things into....still not a bad option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
You are correct, the part goes on the passenger side. Are you sure you have the shock installed in the correct orientation?

Last edited:
OP
OP

destro_23

First Name
Destro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT SR
UPDATE: the part number is the correct one…. I had the dealership order me a new one and lo and behold the hydraulic pump was different in the new one with the reverse action!! So I was right for once in my life lol

I got the right box.. but someone had switched out the pump in the first box.

also my bedliner came in it was an easy install!
Sponsored