• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best wheels/tires for efficiency

FredMullegun

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi all.

I have an F-150 and it has 285/70/17 that are close to 33" tall but they are E load rating and therefore heavy.

Many Lightnings have 275/60/20 and I was thinking of getting Ford 20" wheels but they are all heavy (around 38 pounds) compared to my 17" wheels (25 pounds). the tires will weigh less and I can get 116 load ratings but the overall combo weight will be around the same.

Is there any other alternative to get 33" tall tires in a lighter combo? Most aftermarket wheels have +12 or +20 offset which will poke out and presumably lower efficiency.

My guess is for efficiency the order goes
Tread (rolling resistance)
Poke
Weight

I'm sure some people here have investigated deeper than my search abilities for range purposes.
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Hi all.

I have an F-150 and it has 285/70/17 that are close to 33" tall but they are E load rating and therefore heavy.

Many Lightnings have 275/60/20 and I was thinking of getting Ford 20" wheels but they are all heavy (around 38 pounds) compared to my 17" wheels (25 pounds). the tires will weigh less and I can get 116 load ratings but the overall combo weight will be around the same.

Is there any other alternative to get 33" tall tires in a lighter combo? Most aftermarket wheels have +12 or +20 offset which will poke out and presumably lower efficiency.

My guess is for efficiency the order goes
Tread (rolling resistance)
Poke
Weight

I'm sure some people here have investigated deeper than my search abilities for range purposes.
I don’t have any good suggestions, but I have thoughts on what you’re looking for.

I think the factory 20” wheels are heavier than you think. Motor Trend weighed the factory wheel set at 79 lbs in a recent article. The factory tires are 34 lbs, which makes the wheel a portly 45 lbs.

I don’t see how weight affects efficiency, though. Inertia means more mass doesn’t take more energy to stay in motion if everything else is equal, and the energy used to spin them is a tiny fraction of what it takes to change the velocity of the remaining 6,500 lbs. Added rolling mass also means you have more energy to recover when slowing to a stop as long as you don’t exceed regen capacity and bleed energy into heat with the friction brakes.

I think wheel aerodynamics play a much bigger role than weight. EVs are some of the only vehicles sold with wheel covers, and I’ve read numerous tests over the years showing a 2-3% improvement in highway range with aero covers installed. The factory wheels are presumably designed for decent aero, but aftermarkets rarely are. I think you’d be less efficient going with a lighter aftermarket unless it had a decent aero profile.

ON edit: You may be talking about wheels and tires for a conventional F150. These principles would be the same, but you may have an attractive option with Lightning 20” takeoffs. I believe the 20” wheels are the most aerodynamic OEM option at the moment.

chrisvitek1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Sales
There is a balance in rotating mass when it comes to expending energy for accelerations and recovering energy while slowing down. 40% of breaking/accelerating force is consumed by rotating mass. 79 pounds is optimal. Else you risk efficiency loss.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
There is a balance in rotating mass when it comes to expending energy for accelerations and recovering energy while slowing down. 40% of breaking/accelerating force is consumed by rotating mass. 79 pounds is optimal. Else you risk efficiency loss.
There’s no way.

You’re saying a go-kart with Lightning wheels and tires would use 40% as much energy to accerate to speed?

chrisvitek1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Sales
No, I am saying that rotational energy is a big deal. And, that the regeneration hardware is tuned to the weight of the rotational mass. so is the acceleration.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FredMullegun

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I saw the same motor trend article and I believe the Lightning wheels are heavier for the aero advantage of the extra metal. I have some F-150 takeoffs that are 38 pounds

I think aero matters for highway and weight matters for braking, acceleration and a bit for city driving. EVs are greatly efficient at city so I think that's why Ford made that compromise for better aero.

I noticed the stock lightning tires are only 34 pounds which is insane for a 275/60r20. Perhaps that is how they made up the difference with the heavier wheel.

Last edited:

Dukhudo

First Name
Duy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Depends on the wheel. Mine came with the Hankook Dynapro AT2 which weigh 41 lbs. The General Grabbers weigh 34 lbs.

And I don't know if it's the All-Terrain treads or the extra weight, but my efficiency isn't great compared to what I see others posting.

cyberious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Model Y LR