• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo)

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I hit up my dealership. $1600 and on back order. Crazy price for plastic. Took matters into my own hands

BF1E717D-4402-4242-B7B3-26A4898523A8.jpeg
What did you end up doing it with? For those of us it’s not obvious to😀. Looks great whatever it is.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kbuicker

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
So you can't screw it up right, cause it peels off? I wonder if the grill can just pop off?

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
What did you end up doing it with? For those of us it’s not obvious to😀. Looks great whatever it is.
Took it off. Sanded it with 600grit just to knock the sheen off. Sprayed it with adhesion promoter, 3 coats of gloss black. 3 coats of 2k clear. Came out great. Still need to wet sand and polish.

Learch74

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E California Route 1 edition
Occupation
Network Engineer
Waiting for someone to make one with FORD across the front…. The tricky thing will be the camera
The grill comes off easily. 5 pop plugs on 2 panels then 6 - 10mm bolts. 2 or 3 wires to clip based on your trim level. There are videos on YouTube to replace the emblem and you only need the first couple steps. Would be a lot easier to wrap layin on a bench with no emblem I would guess. I took mine off and it's in the shop now being painted then ppl on it.

Sponsored

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
FWIW. The gloss black on my platinum is full of small chips and road spray after only 1 year of 50/50 city hwy driving. It’s not durable at all. But I think I’m asking too much for that much real estate exposed to driving conditions. And yes it’s white underneath the chips. So I’d save the $1600. Not worth buying a gloss black OEM grill.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
Wouldn't this be an easier component to try your hand at plastidip? https://www.dipyourcar.com/
I tried that and it worked...for a while. It took about 2 cans. A couple of roundtrips to Savannah from ATL and then Florida from ATL and a few bug guts eventually ate through the DIP before I washed them off. Got about 10k of mixed driving out of the DIP. Probably would have lasted longer if not for the south Georgia bugs. The bugs were big beetles or cicadas I was surprised that one of them left a hole in the plastidip that was about the size of a quarter. Two or three others scuffed the finish.

For all I know the plastidip protected the grille, as it didn't chip the finish on the grille itself. I took the Dip off yesterday, probably took about 30-45 minutes but the grille looks brand new. I plan to paint it to match the Antimatter blue of the rest of the truck, then try this product on the "grille" parts shown in black below:

https://twraps.com/products/

Ford F-150 Lightning Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo) Capture.PNG

I'll post pictures when its finished. For now I'm back to riding stock grey grille. Probably will be through the holidays. Hope to get it finished early next year. FYI: when you disconnect the front camera the entire 360 camera system goes down except for the one on the tailgate, so effectively you have a backup cam. Not sure why that is, but I found that interesting. The proximity sensors still work though.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
Got my grille back today, custom painted to match the color of my truck (Antimatter Blue). Had the "grille" areas painted a glossy black. I am happy with the results, which is I guess all that matters. Now I can focus on finding some new rims that don't kill my kW/mile.
Ford F-150 Lightning Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo) painted grille isometric view

Ford F-150 Lightning Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo) painted grille

I'll post some better photos with the sun out. Just installed it prior to these photos, right there in the parking lot.

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Got my grille back today, custom painted to match the color of my truck (Antimatter Blue). Had the "grille" areas painted a glossy black. I am happy with the results, which is I guess all that matters. Now I can focus on finding some new rims that don't kill my kW/mile.

I had my grille painted the first month of ownership. It cost me $500 and it still looks fantastic after 10 months.

painted grille isometric view.jpg

painted grille.jpg

I'll post some better photos with the sun out. Just installed it prior to these photos, right there in the parking lot.
Ford F-150 Lightning Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo) IMG_20230215_173855

Ford F-150 Lightning Black Grill to replace grey boring OEM (yes, I've seen the wrapped photo) 20230218_142115

Sponsored

BennyEV

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
US Army
I hit up my dealership. $1600 and on back order. Crazy price for plastic. Took matters into my own hands

BF1E717D-4402-4242-B7B3-26A4898523A8.jpeg
Could you help with a link to the plastic type you used please???

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
The grille on my Pro appears to be all black plastic. No coating or paint. I haven't chipped or scratched mine in 16k miles of mostly highway driving. Maybe you can find a Pro grille and cut off the top lightbar filler for a durable satin black grille.