• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does Fiddling A Lot With Cruise Control Settings Interfere With Brake Coach Reports?!

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I "trained" for 16..5 years on a 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid, so I usually get 99% to 100% brake coach scores on my Lightning. :)

Last night I went for a 34.2-mile drive that included about a 50/50 mix of Interstate and street driving with quite a few stops. The trip took over an hour. During the early to middle trip stops, the Brake Coach showed 100% almost all the time until after a big middle Interstate interlude. Early in the drive on the Interstate segments, I switched on the lane centering functions and cruise control, then hands-free cruise control. I was turning the set speed on and off, adjusting it up and down, etc. I noticed the lane centering also warned me by vibrating the steering wheel in my street driving segments when I got too close to a curb or lane edge. I really liked that and plan to use lane centering as much as possible in street driving. I did notice at the end of the drive, as I returned home, the brake coach was no longer reporting any score as I came to a stop at numerous lights and stop signs on the final leg home after getting off the Interstate.

When I got home, here's how my EV driving trip report read:

Total miles: 34.2 miles
Energy use: 39.4 kWh
Energy efficiency: 2.5 mi/kWh
Brake score: 0%
Driving score: 97%

My problems with the above are, first, I saw the brake coach was working and scoring me on the off-the-interstate segments through at least the first half of the drive. And, second, how can I get a 97% driving score with a 0% brake score?!

My naive theory is that the cruise control settings and lane centering, which I had on, off, and all over the place very early on in my Interstate drive were keeping the brains of my truck too busy to do an effective job of scoring and maintaining a record of braking efficiency.

I'm still pretty clueless as to how everything works and interacts in truck settings. TIA, if any forum member can explain how I ended up with a brake score of 0%!
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I'm still pretty clueless as to how everything works and interacts in truck settings.
The sarcastic me would say this also applies to Ford software developers. But remember we have a first-gen truck with never-before seen software. Although the Mach-E has been out longer it's instrument display has a different layout so either they started anew for us or bastardized their code. Either way there are non-critical bugs (don't require a recall) that will be there because there is no way they would delay production over minor bugs. IIRC, Tesla, considered the gold standard, had similar issues their first few years.