First long trip - Dallas to Tampa

Octane

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
There are lots of very detailed posts out there. Here is just the stuff that I wish I knew (or could convince myself that I knew) ahead of time. I do have the A2Z adapter. Worked flawlessly. Great adapter, well built. Great company... bravo! I have a 23 Platium (Big Blue). Tires at 45 psi cold. Hard foldable bedcover. No cargo, 2 adults.

- I did hours on ABRP to find the 'best solution'. There is no best solution. Be flexible and dynamic and enjoy the trip.
- Leg 1 - Windier than a sack full of b'holes leaving Texas. 75 mph = 1.6 kWh. Arg. More stops. Hours on ABRP out the damn window in the first hour of driving. Tesla and A2Z made this easy.
- ABRP's 65 mph estimate of 2.24 kWh (?) is no bueno. This gives you an average consumption of about 2.0 kWh @ 75 mph. Folks... this ain't happening. ABRP 2.0 @ 65 is closer with a 'planned' 1.77 at 107% of speed limit.
- Real figures are: 75 mph and windy = 1.6 // 75 mph and not windy = 1.7-1.8 // 70 mph and not windy = 1.9 // Less than 70... no idea... Big Blue can't go that slow.
- Buc'ces roasted pecans are addictive.
- Charging was flawless except 1 time where the A2Z would not fully 'thunk' with the Tesla connector. Moved right 1 SC and worked great (again).
- 'Some' Tesla drivers don't want us there. One old lady gave me the Italian salute and a man driving solo with poodles took pictures of Big Blue (then denied when I asked if he wanted a picture of me with Big Blue... haha).
- Bluecruise is the bomb diggity. nuff said.
- Big Blue does not have the Supercharger update. I used the Tesla app to start/stop all sessions (easy). I used EA plug and charge for the free electric.
- P.S. GOM is not as bad as I've read.... IMO. I don't drive to 1% left... I'm more of a 10-15% guy.
- P.S.S. I made a nerdy little spreadsheet where I can reference my real time actual consumption (range of 2.2 to 1.6) and compare to SOC do determine how far Big Blue and I can travel.
- P.S.S. I use ABRP, Plugshare, Tesla and Waze.

Hope this helps. Blue skies, M
Sponsored

Last edited: