First road trip update

PAndaemonium

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Ford Lightning XLT ER
First of all, @Ford Motor Company, getting rid of trip planner on the app may be one of the stupidest things Ford could’ve done. The user interface on Sync is atrocious. Give me an option to choose different charging stations on proposed road trip. I don’t want to go to some garbage EVgo when there’s an EA or Tesla a mile away. Also, it’s not helpful to designate a charging station on Sync when in real life it’s not even functional yet (being built).

Also, I’m not convinced preconditioning is a real thing. At home in the morning, it just turns the truck on 30 min before you’re ready to leave. On the road, there’s no indication that truck is “preconditioning” the battery like Tesla. I tried both with and without nav and still achieved 180kw charging speeds. Maybe if I was able to locate a charger easier, I’d be more inclined to use it. Frankly I give up and just use Apple Maps.

Overall, with mental adjustment is went okay. My toddler was able to run around every 2 hours to keep my wife sane. Tried the A2z adapter and worked on one station, stopped halfway through on another. I’m guess that locking mechanism is finicky and I’m not doing it right.
Sponsored

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
The native navigation sucks. Apple routing is a little better but it still is too pessimistic on charging arrival percentage.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
... I don’t want to go to some garbage EVgo when there’s an EA or Tesla a mile away.

Frankly I give up and just use Apple Maps.

... I’m guess that locking mechanism is finicky and I’m not doing it right.
yes, I don't use the built-in 'Nav' for those same reasons, my phone's Google MAPS does a much better and easier job... and, I don't think the truck 'pre-conditions' like you might have seen with others, as the battery, well, in a long trip, is ALREADY heated and ready to be charged. The only time I think pre-conditioning is ever even needed is in the WINTER low-temp times when you are also charging BEFORE you are in the middle of a long trip, before the battery has had time to 'warm up' on it's own...

if the 'locking mechanism' you are mentioning is referring to the Tesla Supercharger NACs cable end, I've experienced this, too, but only once. I arrived the other night at LIVE OAK FL. I went to the far right unit and plugged in my LECTRON adapter, then the NACs cable end. It would not activate like all the other ones before.
I did NOT assume it was my truck, but in the back of my mind I had some reservations that maybe I had arrived at a 'non-CCS' Supercharger location, although I had researched these all before I ever left.
So, I drove over to the far LEFT station, now taking up TWO spaces, but this one worked just fine.

I'll add, too, that while I've had NO issues with my LECTRON Adapter, I have had to try to 'figure out' the correct release process that Tesla expects when we use their units.
So, here's what I've found that works for me:
A) Release the whole ADAPTER and NACs end first
B) wait/pause for a few seconds, or maybe for many seconds and let the Supercharge 'calm down' and sense that you are now NOT charging, and you have RELEASED the head from your vehicle
C) NOW, and only now, can you release/pull out the NACs from your Adapter
Sponsored