First time charging at Tesla V4 Supercharger

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Just charged at a Tesla V4 Supercharger outside of Grand Rapids MI, and it was great! Longer cable means no more blocking two spaces. And even though the cable is a larger diameter than other Supercharger cables it is still much easier to manipulate than the typical fat cables at other DCFCs. I read somewhere that all V4 locations will be Magic Dock locations. Not sure if that’s true, but this location was Magic Dock, although oddly the Tesla app said that an adapter was required. 250 kW max charge rate, so obviously more than enough for our needs. I give this location a 9 out of 10, only things missing were pull-through charging and a canopy.

Ford F-150 Lightning First time charging at Tesla V4 Supercharger IMG_7746
Sponsored

Albern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum; 2015 Chevrolet Volt
Yeah I also had my first V4 experience last weekend on the way back to Toronto from NYC. It's definitely nice to not have to block 2 charge spots but I would still prefer to back into the stall.

There were reports that MagicDock has been disabled across the board but for reasons still unknown. This was my observation including at V3 locations with MagicDock. Maybe Tesla is trying to limit use by OEMs who are not yet officially signed up to NACS.

OP
OP
msadan

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
There were reports that MagicDock has been disabled across the board but for reasons still unknown. This was my observation including at V3 locations with MagicDock. Maybe Tesla is trying to limit use by OEMs who are not yet officially signed up to NACS.
I used Magic Docks twice in Mackinaw City MI this weekend without any issues.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
all new/newer V4 units have the 'magic dock' ADAPTER built in, although not ALL are ACTIVATED for "Other EV" usage, but WILL work for us FORDs with our OWN adapter...

it's confusing right now since many of these newer units 'look' like they have the adapter, and yet don't release it for "Other EV" usage... but that's just Tesla design for FUTURE implementation of the integrated adapter, for the location THEY decide...

as for the 'news' that someone thinks that Tesla has disable 'ALL' magic-dock "Other EV" supercharger locations - it seems that this is simply click-bait, and uncorroborated 'non Tesla' information... Tesla's own website map still shows all the same locations and has no news about anything different.

If you search Tesla's map with the filter, "NACS Compatible", though, you'll see those units/locations that ALSO provide us, with our own adapters, charging...
Sponsored