First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
I remember a show on the old Speed channel where they guessed a cars ET based on his description. Some guy pulls up with a S10 with a electric motor and batteries in the bed. The panel laughed and said times from 17-20 seconds... Then stopped when he ripped off a low 12 second time. And he told them the cost to convert, it was less than what it cost me to do my 440 that ran high 11's (not counting trans and rear diff work)
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
That's pretty awesome!

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Bippers,
What about the controller? You didn't mention it at all in your analysis. The Lexus trans is a complete hack (that's ok but not for me). Until Ford offers the controller, it's vaporware. I would be all over it if I could buy the controller.
Any electric swap into a older car is going to be considered a hack unless you have the tools to fabricate mounts (and ability) or can find a fabricator that has lot of experience in doing it. And that's not counting if you want to go to motors at the wheels like the truck has. At least until companies start coming out with retro-fit kits.

I know my EFI setup can be considered a hack, I had to weld in my own sump in the tank for the fuel pump (it's ugly but it doesn't leak), run new supply/return lines, mount controller. And while the Gear Vendors OD unit was a bolt in, I had to whack the floorboard in a few spots for clearance and modify the pre-bent exhaust designed to work with it to actually make it fit.

Hey, one good thing about this... they've solved any Pinto's left from bursting into flames in a rear ender...

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Sorry, using "hack" wasn't clear. I was referring to homemade connectors, harnesses, code. A guy is fully documenting his build on the DIY forum. The Lexus is a successful swap but not my cup of tea. I won't get off track with the details. The fact that it sits where the trans sits is a huge plus.

I bought a new motor, controller, chill plate kit for $4000. It's the equivalent of a crate motor for $4k, and is a deal. Just like an ICE swap, the reliability goes up with the cash invested. If Ford offers the controller for another $2k to make the package a "running" system, I would buy it.

The battery pack is the big expense.

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

nubbles

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 RCSB 5.0
Dang, that truck looks good.

Out of left field... Would it be possible to use a dial shifter like that on the 10R80 in our trucks?

Tremelune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bunch
What I'd really like to see is a motor built for RWD conversions that so many old Fords could actually use...A motor with a 2:1 reduction into a driveshaft yoke that bolted in where an SBF and T5 used to live for $5k would be huge.

I'm glad Ford is offering anything, but this motor offers little advantages over cheaper comparable motors that are already available with controllers (such as Tesla, Leaf, Bolt, etc).
Sponsored