• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is it possible to run a water line from inside the frunk to inside of the bed?

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Eventually) an F-150 Lightning
Please move this thread if there is a more appropriate sub-forum. None that I saw quite fit.

For weight balance and other reasons, I'm wondering if it's possible to place a water tank in the frunk and plumb it so that it comes out at a point accessible to the inside of the bed?

I know that the frunk has a small drain in its lowest point, and that is a start, but it's not a complete answer.

For an ordinary F-150 (if it had a frunk), I know this would be possible, but I'm not sure if or how the design of the Lightning would complicate something like this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I am sure you could modify the truck to do this.... but why?

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am sure you could modify the truck to do this.... but why?
Because the whole point of owning something is to set it up for your individual use case... like every other truck mod out there, of which the Lightning is not unique?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
many of us aren't going to answer if you don't give us a 'use case' scenario that you are thinking of, such as to provide water to a camper you are towing, etc.

eecyclone

First Name
Blane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
For a truck camper in the bed? If you have an on-demand pump I don't see why not

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Size of the water line will be key. 3/8" flex line - sure. 2" hard pipe - harder.

Anything is possible with enough money.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many of us aren't going to answer if you don't give us a 'use case' scenario that you are thinking of, such as to provide water to a camper you are towing, etc.
The use case is to move water from a tank stored in the frunk to a point inside the bed. Just a concept at this point, so I have no elaboration.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The use case is to move water from a tank stored in the frunk to a point inside the bed.
How much water and how fast? Where will the pump be? Where in the bed (front vs. back could make a difference)? Are there temperature concerns (freezing, expanding, etc.?)

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How much water and how fast? Where will the pump be? Where in the bed (front vs. back could make a difference)? Are there temperature concerns (freezing, expanding, etc.?)
I'm not sure of any of that yet, it's just a concept.

No temperature concerns, and no particular flow rate in mind yet.

I just need to know if the design of the Lightning (vs. a combustion F-150, if it had a frunk) would make such a thing unworkable.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm not sure of any of that yet, it's just a concept.

No temperature concerns, and no particular flow rate in mind yet.

I just need to know if the design of the Lightning (vs. a combustion F-150, if it had a frunk) would make such a thing unworkable.
Anything is workable with enough time and money, but there is a huge difference between running a small flexible line through the frame members and drilling a small hole in the bed (or using some of the existing knockouts) and running larger hard pipe that would have to go either below the battery, through the cab, or over the top of the truck.

Sponsored

Lightninorian

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Pro
Occupation
Firefighter
I think this thread just made it onto the Department of Homeland Security hot list?

cag

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Police Dispatcher
Ask vague questions? Get vague answers.

Please see your owners manual for further details. Contact your dealer. Hire a licensed contractor.

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anything is workable with enough time and money, but there is a huge difference between running a small flexible line through the frame members and drilling a small hole in the bed (or using some of the existing knockouts) and running larger hard pipe that would have to go either below the battery, through the cab, or over the top of the truck.
The concept isn't developed enough to answer that. As a placeholder, say that the maximum flow rate would be 2.5 GPM.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The use case is to move water from a tank stored in the frunk to a point inside the bed. Just a concept at this point, so I have no elaboration.
I'm guessing that you don't want any of us to steal your idea and start marketing it first. But in reality we are all just a curious bunch (curious in an inquisitive way and not curious in a weird way for the most part). So since you won't share I came up with some ideas:
- Lightning Fire truck with water tanks in the Frunk and Bed
- Portable bathtub/shower with the water supply in the Frunk.
- Mobile meth lab
- Mobile Ice Machine. Maybe sell ice at the beach and you might also need the portable shower to rinse off with.
- Mobile Swamp Cooler. Or mobile fog machine. Use while you are DJ'ing parties.

OP
OP

MostlySafeBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm guessing that you don't want any of us to steal your idea and start marketing it first. But in reality we are all just a curious bunch (curious in an inquisitive way and not curious in a weird way for the most part). So since you won't share I came up with some ideas:
- Lightning Fire truck with water tanks in the Frunk and Bed
- Portable bathtub/shower with the water supply in the Frunk.
- Mobile meth lab
- Mobile Ice Machine. Maybe sell ice at the beach and you might also need the portable shower to rinse off with.
- Mobile Swamp Cooler. Or mobile fog machine. Use while you are DJ'ing parties.
Nope, just haven't fleshed out the idea beyond a concept very much.

Also, the 400 pound weight limit on the frunk would limit its useful water capacity to no more than about 44 to 46 gallons, assuming that a suitably light tank could be sourced.

Can't do a mobile meth lab, as I do not look like Brian Cranston.
Sponsored