• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster 🙂 Absolutely loving my F150L Plat in Iconic Silver and hyped to show it off. Haven't seen anyone post an Ibex rack setup yet, so I wanted to share.

This is the Kuat Ibex full height with full mollee on both sides and the back. Extra crossbar, handles, shovel mount and a 3rd brake light (hasn't shipped yet, who knows when it'll be here). Mounted on the ReTrax Pro XR bed cover.

Mainly I use my truck to commute - but we also camp and trail equipment around the farm. I wanted something of a multi tool to help get our other vehicles unstuck in a pinch, tote cold beverages around, and supply glamping power wherever we may be.

I have an Anker solix generator in the back because keeping the truck "running" just to supply bed power seems stupid to me. I will charge it via Pro Power when driving and let it keep my Dometic cooler running frosty when parked. I also installed a bumper and rack mounted plugin for solar. I've also made a custom bracket to rack mount my Starlink mobile and happy to report it can handle highway speeds 🌬 .

I have been testing some ways to leverage this battery for emergency charging, but no luck just yet. Range has taken a bit of a hit due to aero, but nothing substantial enough for me to complain. I have a 40A Tesla wall charger at home and it gets me by just fine.

Other small mods are: tints, window visors, standoffs for center console springs (keeps it from flopping), Husky mats, BlackVue cams, radar hardwire, tailgate beep delete and frunk beep delete. I'd like to look into leveling and off-road wheels/tires for the later seasons, but a bit concerned about BC on the level, and range/noise implications from the new wheels and tires.

Let me know your thoughts, questions or inputs! Roast me or toast me, idc. Just happy to be a proud Lightning owner adding my own personal flare 😁.

Ford F-150 Lightning Kuat Ibex Rack Setup Installed 20240811_145641

Ford F-150 Lightning Kuat Ibex Rack Setup Installed 20240811_145624

Ford F-150 Lightning Kuat Ibex Rack Setup Installed 20240714_125556

Ford F-150 Lightning Kuat Ibex Rack Setup Installed 20240704_125308

Ford F-150 Lightning Kuat Ibex Rack Setup Installed 20240811_145635
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster 🙂 Absolutely loving my F150L Plat in Iconic Silver and hyped to show it off. Haven't seen anyone post an Ibex rack setup yet, so I wanted to share.

This is the Kuat Ibex full height with full mollee on both sides and the back. Extra crossbar, handles, shovel mount and a 3rd brake light (hasn't shipped yet, who knows when it'll be here). Mounted on the ReTrax Pro XR bed cover.

Mainly I use my truck to commute - but we also camp and trail equipment around the farm. I wanted something of a multi tool to help get our other vehicles unstuck in a pinch, tote cold beverages around, and supply glamping power wherever we may be.

I have an Anker solix generator in the back because keeping the truck "running" just to supply bed power seems stupid to me. I will charge it via Pro Power when driving and let it keep my Dometic cooler running frosty when parked. I also installed a bumper and rack mounted plugin for solar. I've also made a custom bracket to rack mount my Starlink mobile and happy to report it can handle highway speeds 🌬 .

I have been testing some ways to leverage this battery for emergency charging, but no luck just yet. Range has taken a bit of a hit due to aero, but nothing substantial enough for me to complain. I have a 40A Tesla wall charger at home and it gets me by just fine.

Other small mods are: tints, window visors, standoffs for center console springs (keeps it from flopping), Husky mats, BlackVue cams, radar hardwire, tailgate beep delete and frunk beep delete. I'd like to look into leveling and off-road wheels/tires for the later seasons, but a bit concerned about BC on the level, and range/noise implications from the new wheels and tires.

Let me know your thoughts, questions or inputs! Roast me or toast me, idc. Just happy to be a proud Lightning owner adding my own personal flare 😁.

20240811_145641.jpg

20240811_145624.jpg

20240714_125556.jpg

20240704_125308.jpg

20240811_145635.jpg
Cool set up! We're glad you're enjoying your F-150. Thanks for sharing with us.

OP
OP
HeavyLithiumIon
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nifty setup! 🤩 The Lightning allows for so much versatility, and you've really put every bit of it to use.
Thanks!! It's like driving a big, quiet swiss army knife silently with plenty of horsepower. Love my ReTrax btw ❤. That was my first improvement.

OP
OP
HeavyLithiumIon
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cool set up! We're glad you're enjoying your F-150. Thanks for sharing with us.
Certainly!! Thanks for making it!

I've heard about "generator mode" in future updates, allowing power to be used from bed without it in "Run", but is that official or just gossip? Would be nice to have 🙂. Also still don't have SOC % on dash outside of calm screen. Minor gripe, but seems like updates roll in slowly, sporadically and with a severe lack of description.

Not jumping on you by any means, just feel like you'd like to hear some legit feedback from the consumer 😉

Sponsored

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
Can you provide some information on the pull out you are using for the cooler?

OP
OP
HeavyLithiumIon
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you provide some information on the pull out you are using for the cooler?
Ah yes, it's a Dometic CFX3 cooler, and their slide here: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/coolers/accessories/cfx3-sld3545-256997?v=9610000651

I didn't want to mount anything permanently to the bed, so I cut some plywood that fits perfectly around wheel well and front to back of bed. I put slats on the bottom that stick into factory bed "channels" to keep it moving from left to right. I painted it all black and mounted everything to it. If I want, I can simply pull it all out.

The stock Dometic DC cable gave out after a while from being pinched by the slide, so I Amazoned a new one and jerry-rigged it in such a way that it would no longer get bunched up.

A pretty nice system for those 5PM brewskis 😉

nathanjaybar

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, Extended Range
Nice truck, @HeavyLithiumIon! We've been talking about the Küat Ibex for some time now. We have the same ReTrax cover you have, too. You mentioned the hit in range, what kind of hit are we talking about? We're getting ready for a long trip and wanted the rack so we could have more protected vertical storage space, but with it being a longer drive a hit on range might not be that ideal.

OP
OP
HeavyLithiumIon
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice truck, @HeavyLithiumIon! We've been talking about the Küat Ibex for some time now. We have the same ReTrax cover you have, too. You mentioned the hit in range, what kind of hit are we talking about? We're getting ready for a long trip and wanted the rack so we could have more protected vertical storage space, but with it being a longer drive a hit on range might not be that ideal.
Getting around 2.0 at speeds in the 55-65mph range but maybe closer to 1.9 when the Rack4vs are on the crossbars (no kayaks). If I'm flying at 75 it can get as low as 1.6-1.7 - so not insignificant. 2.0 average though, and this is all in 80-90 degree temps.

If I had one wish for the system, it'd be an easier way to quickly remove it when not in use. But it's a bit of a pain in the ass and needs at least two strong people to lift it up/off. Eventually I might jerry-rig some sort of lift or pulley system in the barn.

I am a bit biased though because I haven't taken a long road trip and generally stay within 100 mile radius of home. I have decent charging at home as well.

I know they are manufacturing the "Panel Kit" for the Tacoma-sized models. If this is ever made for the Lightning-sized model, I wonder how that may hurt/help aero 🤔. https://www.kuat.com/product/ibex-p...F0WCV_JSsZ8ZxRbmaA2WrmeorsGYdrD0s-1s_74mGNCYC

I also wonder what the mid-height would do in efficiency or running without the gear/panels. So many factors to consider - I need a wind tunnel.

Let me know what you do! I'll wanna see the setup if you spring for it 👍
Sponsored