Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Project Update:

I've been feeling incredibly frustrated with InfluxDB. Integrating InfluxDB as the storage for charge logs has proven to be challenging...for me. The time aspect of this database has introduces issues with different measurements. Transforming specific values from a single measurement has been problematic. Additionally, I've encountered issues with Grafana being able to display any data from Influx, and I've had issues using Python to properly add the data into Influx through a script with HomeAssistant as the automation.
Example: I have a script to run four hours after a charge, which downloads the charge log and then inserts it into InfluxDB. However, ensuring the script has the necessary Python packages requires more custom integrations, tinkering, and setup for this to properly work... moving me farther away from my goal of making it easier for others.

Considering I have little to no knowledge on Influx and the Flux language, and I'm self taught with programming - I can only do so much with the free version of Chat GPT.

Because I had this working previously with PostgreSQL (and I wouldn't have to use Flux Syntax) I think the best solution is to revert back to PostgreSQL for storage. There will still be a way for logs to be downloaded and stored in a JSON file locally. I will just be using PostgreSQL as my long-term storage. This will be independent from HomeAssistant and still able to be self-hosted. HomeAssistant will just allow for extra automation for the people using it, but it will not be a requirement.

With my limited time and continued frustration of encountering roadblocks, I've found myself discouraged from working on this project. I've also taken on the additional challenge of attempting to improve the FordPass HomeAssistant integration by incorporating EV-specific features. I would love to add the ability to stop and start a charge into HomeAssitant, but it has proven difficult for me. Because of these things any free time I get to work on these two projects has been frustrating and discouraging. My self-taught Python/programming skills and other resources are only carrying me so far.

If anyone proficient in InfluxDB or Flux and is willing to assist in properly setting up data ingestion from a json file to the database I would be happy to learn.

Until then, I would like to get this back into a working functional state so I, and others, can actually use it.

If I have LightningROD working properly, then I can work on issues/feature requests for both projects.

Also Ford has changed their API causing this and the HA integration to break.
However, I do have a developer account now. So when I get more time I'll be poking at that.
Sponsored

Last edited: