• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Magruder Corridor practice run.

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV, Tesla Model 3, F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Marine electrical propulsion engineer
Hello, I thought that there might be some interest in the numbers we recorded last weekend.
In the Fall of 24, I am planing a West to East transit of the longest uninterrupted dirt road without services in the lower 48…. The 130 mile Magruder Corridor. Along the single lane MC there are no escape routes, and there is 12000 feet of elevation gain. The road repeatedly ascends to 7000 foot passes and descends to multiple deep and beautiful river valleys.

I have a SR XLT Lightning and it is loaded with a 1973, 8’ Alaskan CO. weighing in at 1560 pounds.
the cabover has no DC system but rather it utilizes the pro power onboard to run AC lights, cooking appliances and a reverse cycle Ecoflow 2 heat pump. When loaded with passengers, dogs, water and gear we are just above GVWR.

Last weekend we did a practice run in the Olympic National Forest.
I identified a 130 mile loop including approach and departure pavement highways of about 40 miles total.
The route included multiple 3500 foot accents for a total elevation gain of 10000 feet.
We encountered rain, snow and average temperatures of 35 degrees and a low of 30 overnight.

We spent two nights out doing a mixture of fire cooking, induction cooking and electric kettle hot water heating.

We kept the cabin of the Alaskan at 62 degrees overnight using the heat pump.

Leaving with a 100% charge, We arrived home with 9% of the battery remaining and traveled exactly 129.8 miles.

Using the vehicles consumption page selected to trip 2 I gathered the following battery usage percentages.

2% climate control, we bundled up, used seat heat and quick bursts of defrost.
70% route
14% Accessories, ie, heat pump, cooking, refrigerator, lighting and charging phones.
14% exterior temperatures.

The final MPKW came in at 1.4 including all consumers.

I considered this a success as the Magruder will likely be much warmer in the fall and I don’t expect to see 30% capacity loss to outside climate issues.

cheers,

Matthew
Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
you are much more adventuresome than most of us! thanks for the report

OP
OP
Mort

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV, Tesla Model 3, F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Marine electrical propulsion engineer
you are much more adventuresome than most of us! thanks for the report
I have been getting to supercharger stations with 1-3% for years so when I get to chargers with 5% there’s no concern. Albeit when you’re summiting at 3700 feet, dropping down another 1000 and seeing only 30 miles left on the GOM with 50 actual miles to get back up and home it can be a bit concerning! Always rely on the SOC and the anxiety disappears.
Also it’s always good to remember that if you are going to run out, it will be within only a few miles of your destinations.
Sponsored

Last edited: