• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure program - additional info

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
I thought this was interesting::

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...lans-to-make-ev-chargers-common-and-reliable/

In addition, there is a link in the article to individual state plans for rolling out new EV charging infrastructure.

Posting this is definitely not meant to judge any pros and cons of any existing fast charging networks out there today. I would just like to pass on information about what will be rolling out in the future with the help of our tax dollars.

Cheers
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
More reading...

Attachments

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I thought this was interesting::

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...lans-to-make-ev-chargers-common-and-reliable/

In addition, there is a link in the article to individual state plans for rolling out new EV charging infrastructure.

Posting this is definitely not meant to judge any pros and cons of any existing fast charging networks out there today. I would just like to pass on information about what will be rolling out in the future with the help of our tax dollars.

Cheers
thanks for this. looked at the Texas plan and it looks like I might be able to make a trip to Houston towards the end of next year... IF they hit their schedule. Right now the route is pretty risky.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 PORSCHE TAYCAN and '22 Ford F-150 Lightning
thanks for this. looked at the Texas plan and it looks like I might be able to make a trip to Houston towards the end of next year... IF they hit their schedule. Right now the route is pretty risky.

Why do you think the route from Hot Springs, AR to Houston looks risky? Looks very easy to make if you just deviate a little out of your way. You can easily hit Hope, then the Mt. Pleasant, TX charger to cut over to Ennis on I-45 and then it is a straight shot south with multiple chargers between Ennis and Houston to use.

This is very doable on the Electrify America network. I wouldn't wait for the the state of Texas to be on schedule.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
Why do you think the route from Hot Springs, AR to Houston looks risky? Looks very easy to make if you just deviate a little out of your way. You can easily hit Hope, then the Mt. Pleasant, TX charger to cut over to Ennis on I-45 and then it is a straight shot south with multiple chargers between Ennis and Houston to use.

This is very doable on the Electrify America network. I wouldn't wait for the the state of Texas to be on schedule.
Our drive to Houston is 400 miles on US 59 taking a full day. (7.5hr driving plus a rest stop and lunch) Going through Dallas and then Enis adds over an hour of driving time plus multiple stops to charge and completely rules out a one day drive for us. My wife's Honda pilot will be our road warrier to Houston until they get additional chargers in place. There are a few there, but I've researched enough to know that there needs to be multiple places to stop because reliability and availability.

We do have family in Dallas so even that trip requires a charging stop, but that only takes 4 hours and seems doable with a single stop to charge in Mt. Pleasant or Mt. Vernon.

This is not a big deal for me. I have no range anxiety as I have always intended my truck to be for local trips. My current truck is a Chevy Avalanche and we've been using my wifes car for long trips for the last several years. nothing will change. The infrastructure will change. Since I wrote the first post I checked out Louisiana's plans to as chargers in Shreveport would make it doable. EA has had chargers there listed as "planned" since I reserved the truck in May, 2021 and it's still says "planned". We'll see.

note: the option of using Tesla chargers could make the difference.

Another Note: with some DC charging stations getting 40-60cents/kwhr, gasoline at $3/gal is cheaper or awful close.
Sponsored