• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Need advice on installing 2 way radio bodies.

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro and 2012 Expedition Fleet
I have a ham radio body and a cell booster body I need help locating a place to install them too. On my previous vehicle I screwed them into the back of the rear seat back as that was a flat sturdy surface. Unlike my ‘23 pro. I’ve seen the video that @HRCC posted and he mentioned mounting his unit under the seat. I don’t know how he affixed it though. If anyone has ideas please let me know.
Ford F-150 Lightning Need advice on installing 2 way radio bodies. IMG_4905
Sponsored

priceb

First Name
Price
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
College Instructor
I have a ham radio body and a cell booster body I need help locating a place to install them too. On my previous vehicle I screwed them into the back of the rear seat back as that was a flat sturdy surface. Unlike my ‘23 pro. I’ve seen the video that @HRCC posted and he mentioned mounting his unit under the seat. I don’t know how he affixed it though. If anyone has ideas please let me know.
IMG_4905.jpeg
I currently have my Anytone AT-D578 mobile radio mounted under the rear seat. I used several pieces of wood to attach the radio too and cut holes so that the seat mounting bolts keep everything in place. I chose that particular radio to eliminate the need to run extra wires for a remote head, it has a Bluetooth remote instead.

My plan is to also install a Motorola XPR-4380, but I am still trying to decide what antenna to use for it and where to mount it. This radio also has a Bluetooth microphone/control option.

I will take some pictures of my install and post them later today.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I currently have my Anytone AT-D578 mobile radio mounted under the rear seat. I used several pieces of wood to attach the radio too and cut holes so that the seat mounting bolts keep everything in place. I chose that particular radio to eliminate the need to run extra wires for a remote head, it has a Bluetooth remote instead.

My plan is to also install a Motorola XPR-4380, but I am still trying to decide what antenna to use for it and where to mount it. This radio also has a Bluetooth microphone/control option.

I will take some pictures of my install and post them later today.
Please do. I appreciate it. I decided to bite the bullet and get the bulletproof diesel mount.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1000002444.jpg

Above is a photo of my radio mounted under the back seat.
Ford F-150 Lightning Need advice on installing 2 way radio bodies. IMG_4923

I took your idea and ran with it. I have some cable management to do but it’s secured by 2 screws and isn’t going anywhere.

priceb

First Name
Price
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
College Instructor
looks good! How’d you run the power to it?
I ran power directly from positive side of the battery and the ground point recommended in the following document.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ghtning-electrical-system-overview-pdf.33317/

I routed the wire behind the fake charge port on the passenger side and into the cab through the grommet in the passenger floorboard. I believe this grommet used by the powered step on an lariat and above. To get to the back seat the wire is routed under the trim pieces of the front and rear passenger door frame.

priceb

First Name
Price
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
College Instructor
IMG_4923.jpeg

I took your idea and ran with it. I have some cable management to do but it’s secured by 2 screws and isn’t going anywhere.
Looks good. There appears to also be plenty of room for future expansion.

OP
OP
Azgunguy

Azgunguy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I ran power directly from positive side of the battery and the ground point recommended in the following document.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ghtning-electrical-system-overview-pdf.33317/

I routed the wire behind the fake charge port on the passenger side and into the cab through the grommet in the passenger floorboard. I believe this grommet used by the powered step on an lariat and above. To get to the back seat the wire is routed under the trim pieces of the front and rear passenger door frame.
Gotcha. I went in through the grommet under the dash on the drivers side. I also grounded as close to the radio as possible, just what I was taught when I got my ham license. So I grounded to a back seat bracket. It was very easy overall.
Sponsored