• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro on the way, what accessories?

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
Added the gator roll up tonneau cover yesterday. Picked it up for $209 on Amazon. East install. Definitely impacted range a bit on the highway, but worth it if you need to cover some equipment up. I did a test with it rolled up on the same route and the range was better (roughly .2 to .3 better mpkwh).

Ford F-150 Lightning Pro on the way, what accessories? D6B6E1A1-33FB-4872-A17A-AA644C56E470

OP
OP

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I’m surprised that the tonneau cover hurts range. I was looking at a Diamondback SE cover online yesterday.

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD

piratefan2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT-ER, 24 Silverado, 06 Silverado
Please forgive my ignorance...what do the rear seat latches do?

Sponsored
OP
OP

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please forgive my ignorance...what do the rear seat latches do?
They attach a longer fabric pull on the rear seat latch with a longer bracket so it’s easier to fold the seat backs forward and use the area behind the seat for storage. You can accomplish the same thing by getting a long closed end wrench back there and pulling the factory latch up, but it’s a pain to do. You could probably tie a piece of paracord onto the latch release and secure the end with a tab of rough Velcro if there is carpet on the back of the seat. I will want to use that rear space for either storage or a subwoofer. I probably don’t need one for both seats, just the drivers seat.

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The Gatorback mud flaps seem like a good product, but way overpriced and I don’t want the chrome. I found this video showing the factory flap install, they seem to fit close enough to protect the truck.

It would be nice if someone could do a range test before and after the install. Those things look like drag boosters.

OP
OP

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Updated my original post.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Added the gator roll up tonneau cover yesterday. Picked it up for $209 on Amazon. East install. Definitely impacted range a bit on the highway, but worth it if you need to cover some equipment up. I did a test with it rolled up on the same route and the range was better (roughly .2 to .3 better mpkwh).

D6B6E1A1-33FB-4872-A17A-AA644C56E470.jpeg
That's the one I picked up. I had one on my 2016 XLT too. It's super easy to install, and you can't beat the price.

As for the milage impact. I've seen so many different tests and opinions because the difference is so small and there are quite a few variables in play.

The general consensus is that an empty bed, with the tailgate down is the most efficient, but that's not practical.

When the gate is up, there's definitely some drag, and when it's covered, there's somehow even a bit more drag... but when you have stuff in the back, the drag without the cover will be different, sometimes better, sometimes worse depending on what's in the bed.

To me, I like the simplicity of knowing whatever's in the back isn't going to fly out, and it's not visible whenever it's parked.

I can choose to keep it open on a clear day when it's empty, and keep it dry and snow free by keeping it closed.
Sponsored