• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

So what can the standard 2.4KW power?

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I always hated any and all classes dealing with electrical/wiring, so pardon my incompetence.

So I ordered a Pro with the standard 2.4Kw on board power outlets (no real need for the 9.6KW to justify almost $2k more). What can I power via outlets, aside from the obvious little things?

For example, say there's a power outage...could I run an extension cord from the truck to my fridge and keep just that running? Or if I needed to plug in a car charger to charge the battery on my regular ICE vehicle? Can it handle that kind of stuff?
Sponsored

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I always hated any and all classes dealing with electrical/wiring, so pardon my incompetence.
I'll give you a free pass on this but its honestly pretty simple. You lookup what the appliance it is and what its power demands are. So for example a microwave might be a 1500W microwave so that would take 1500 of the 2400W available from the Truck.

And so forth.

My deep freezer hums along at like 70W but requires something like 700W to start the compressor, according to my Kill-a-Watt device. Vacuum 1500W, Phone Charger 10W and so forth.

OP
OP

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I'll give you a free pass on this but its honestly pretty simple. You lookup what the appliance it is and what its power demands are. So for example a microwave might be a 1500W microwave so that would take 1500 of the 2400W available from the Truck.

And so forth.

My deep freezer hums along at like 70W but requires something like 700W to start the compressor, according to my Kill-a-Watt device. Vacuum 1500W, Phone Charger 10W and so forth.
Thank you lol. I should delete this post and save myself any future embarrassment now that you've clarified. But i'm sure there'll be another electrically incompetent person that'll post the same question, so we'll just let it be.

I didn't know if it was just simple wattage or if amperage of a more powerful device played a key part of the equation.

Swags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco 4dr, 2022 F-150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Engineer
It's functionally a 120V/20A outlet found in your home (with the extra horizontal part on the left prong as shown below) so it can power quite a bit of normal stuff. Yes, it should be able to handle a full-sized refridgerator too as most of them are on dedicated 120V/20A circuits due to the startup or "in-rush" current but draw quite a bit less afterwards. Ford has an interesting infographic here for what it's worth (pre-9.6kW option on Lightning).

Ford F-150 Lightning So what can the standard 2.4KW power? images

SuperRaptor

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Are you just trying to pass the time waiting for your truck to come in? You could look up all the Powerboost 2.4kw questions on this forum or you know spend 30 seconds googling '2.4kw'

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
It may have more to do with the surge ability. One might have a small generator that has a label of 2.4Kw, like many inverters have too. They should post a max or surge level. Starting items consumes both running and starting. Modern items like refrigerators are pretty good. Older RV air conditioners may be quite high start up amps.

That 2.4K will or should power a number of items.

From web.
For example, if you have a pump which runs off of 120 VAC and has a Locked Rotor Current of 10 Amps, you would need an inverter of at least 1200 VA to run the pump (120 VAC x 10A = 1200 VA). It is not recommended to start two motor loads simultaneously unless a very large capacity inverter is being used.
Sponsored