Sponsored

The Great Watkins Glen [charging] Desert?

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I'm planning a vacation trip from Monrovia, Maryland to Watkins Glen, NY. Looking at several charge station maps, I see 6.6 - 7.8 Kwh chargers and a very few 11, 24 and 50 Kwh chargers along Routs 15 and 14. The rare "higher power", 50 Kwh chargers are at car dealerships and there are none in Watkins Glen. Am I missing something or is the area from Harrisburg, PA. to Watkins Glen a charging desert?

Yes, I see the Tesla charger in Ithaca, but my Sadly, my Tesla adapter from Ford is not going to be here until October.

Is there an app I'm missing that shows fast chargers in the region? And are chargers at dealerships really available to the public (at reasonable rates?)

I hate the idea of leaving the truck in a seedy looking remote location overnight on 7 Kwh charger while staying 2-4 miles away in a rental. Of course I don't want to sleep in the truck either. I want a full charge since the truck is so comfortable for family outings. Even then, most of the Tesla chargers I am seeing are Destination chargers. I don't think those work with the F150.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What's stopping you from ordering an adapter from A2ZEV? They sell the Typhoon plug for the Tesla SuperChargers and the Stellar Plug for Tesla Destination chargers. Both can be selected on the Typhoon plug page by using the dropdown menu. $252 for both, 18.4% off.

Charge at 660 Addison Rd, Painted Post, NY to 90% and arrive with 80% at Watkins Glen. Charger appears to be off network or very new, but shows up in ABRP. GoogleMaps shows a review.

Last edited:

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I use Tesla destination chargers all the time on my road trips. Just need a NACS>J1772 adapter; recommend that you get an 80 amp one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishkatan

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old
Ford is supposed to send me a free adapter so I am trying to hold out for that. Wife is a hoarder so I am paranoid about having extras. The A2Z has good reviews but I am not enthusiastic about ending up with 2 adapters eventually and I can never seem to sell stuff on line.

I marked that Corning charger on my map and will keep my fingers crossed.
I recently tested charging on a 6.2 kW charger and it was not a very promising experience due to the length to top off - 11 miles in 40 minutes.

I thought I heard that the Tesla Destination chargers will not work with Ford, only Level 2 chargers. Did I get that wrong?

BTW, I just installed the Ford Charger Pro at home - how nice to have 19.2 kw. But my electric bill has more than doubled since I have the truck. I keep forgetting I am not paying for gas but I am paying per mile.

OP
OP
Ishkatan

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old
What's stopping you from ordering an adapter from A2ZEV? They sell the Typhoon plug for the Tesla SuperChargers and the Stellar Plug for Tesla Destination chargers. Both can be selected on the Typhoon plug page by using the dropdown menu. $252 for both, 18.4% off.

Charge at 660 Addison Rd, Painted Post, NY to 90% and arrive with 80% at Watkins Glen. Charger appears to be off network or very new, but shows up in ABRP. GoogleMaps shows a review.
Delivery times for the A2Z were after I needed to start my trip so I decided to take a risk. Hate to buy one if I am getting one for free and road trips are not that common for me. The Painted Post charger worked great. I posted a review on my first trip to Ithaca (was stopping at every marked fast CCS1 charger on that trip). It is a split charger so on the Watkins Glen trip I got 90 kWh charging until the other F150 left. Then a small car showed up. Took a little over an hour to get to 91%. Got to the AirBNB in Burdett, NY with plenty of charge.

For the rest of the stay I used the house 110 volt outlet and mobile charger to top off a bit between short trips Found that the Burdett Fire department had a public L2 charger and used it overnight (rated 8 kW but delivered 3 kW) for filling up for longer trips.

In Ithaca the city garage L2 charger served during a dinner break. Ddouble check which city garages have working chargers - the chargers are free but you might have to pay parking. I have a Tesla destination charger adapter but the Tesla station at the garage was broken (Red) and no one seems to use it. It is owned by Hilton. The J1772 charger was blocked by an ICE but the cable is very long.

The Burdett Fire Department charger got me to 100% overnight for the trip home. On the way I stopped at a AAA store in Williamsport. The 8K charger was working but the 21K charger failed, until I had the nice ladies reset the breaker. Then it ran at 19 kWh while we had leisurely lunch at DQ. Good price. Got back to Mt. Airy, Md. with 60 miles to spare.

I see lots of L2 chargers in the area and along my route (rt 15), but only a few fast chargers. There is a car dealership that charges $3.50/kWh but little else between Harrisburg and Painted Post unless you makr s major detour to Bloomsburg. Of course there are several Tesla fast chargers.

Ithaca has a nice fast CCS1 charger hidden behind the Holiday Inn Express with 8 chargers, but only 5 parking spots that can reach them, and there are a couple J1772 chargers. https://maps.app.goo.gl/Z491spHdvPwKz8c6A

I was also told there is a PISO fast charger at 83 Seneca St, Geneva, NY 14456 that uses the EVConnect App or credit card but I did not get to try that.

I will continue to call my truck RAe for Range Anxiety by my anxiety level is much reduced. You just have to plan breaks and find L2 stations at or near where you plan to stay.
Sponsored