• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Very low power with near empty battery ?

ulucto95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Hi guys !

Just received my Lightning, and already had an issue on the way home !

The weather was very cold, around 20F with some freezing rain. The car has been driven for a while and the battery was at around or less than 5% SOC (less than 6 miles remaining on the GOM).

I had trouble climbing up a small hill on the highway just before charging at home. I was flooring it and all I got was 40 mph up a 5% incline.

I guess it's probably normal, and I was asking a bit much from a cold, empty battery, but I guess I had less than 30% power left (!) I read a few posts, and no, I haven't figured out yet how to check the % of power to the motors... maybe next time !
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Low power at low state of charge is normal. You should try not to let the battery get that low unless absolutely necessary. Cold temperatures will make it worse.

Look at this picture of the trucks dash screen. The 100 on the left represents the available power. The 100 on the right represents the battery. The 100 for the battery is like the full symbol on a fuel gauge, but the available power number will reflect what can be sent to the motors.

Ford F-150 Lightning Very low power with near empty battery ? Screenshot_20230105_224147_Chrome

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Yes, that sounds normal. I experienced exactly the same thing at the end of a cold weather range test in my Mach E last winter. I also live on a very steep hill and only managed about 5mph with the accelerator floored - but I was down to about 3% battery. As soon as the road leveled out, the car accelerated to about 25mph. After charging it overnight normal performance returned. Absolutely no long term issues.

Last edited:

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
Switch the odometer to "Calm Mode" will show you % remaining. Toggle the arrows on the steering wheel.
Sponsored