• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What the frunk?

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
I've only kept my frunk open for more than a few minutes at a time, until this morning, when I kept it open for a few hours. It came time to close it and move the vehicle, but It would not close. I've only owned my 2024 Lightning Flash for a few months. So this is the first day I tried to learn about the frunk. I knew almost nothing to start with.

Thanks to some threads on this forum, I managed to get the situation resolved.

I gained some understanding of what to not to do. Don't look in the table of contents of the manual for a section entitled "The Frunk", or anything like that. (Obviously, info on the frunk would be in a section entitled "Luggage Compartment"). Avoid the Index. ("Frunk" is not there). Don't call Ford. (If it's a Sunday). Not every dealer is going to be able to help in the slightest. (The woman answering my call to the dealer eventually said "what's a frunk"?, before she added "there are no service people here today". I told her it can't be that I will need to get this vehicle towed to you over this. She said she would try to transfer me to someone else there but my call ended up being disconnected.) My situation felt preposterous for a while.

Eventually, after reading a few threads on this forum, I realized it probably would not damage anything if I gently closed the frunk by hand. It closed but didn't fully latch. Because it sort of latched and it did stay almost closed, I now felt confident about moving the vehicle safely to a more convenient place. Moving the vehicle with the frunk in this condition causes a constant warning signal and warning message.

I decided that the next thing to do would be to attempt to reset whatever computer was responsible. In my mind, the least hazardous method to do this would be by cutting off the power to whatever computer controlled the frunk, by removing its fuse. However, the Lightning fuses are in the frunk. The frunk was now partially latched, and it was not responding to any sort of command to open itself. I found a description of a hand operated latch release that the manual stated was inside the vehicle. This did not work on the first try. It did work on the second try. It turns out that the manual says pull the release twice, but I only found this out later. At last, the frunk opened and I had access to the fuse box inside. Fuse 72 is a 40 amp fuse described in the manual as protecting the "front trunk module". (A section on fuses is listed in the table of contents and the index.) I removed it. I gave the situation ten minutes, then replaced the fuse. I gave the system ten more minutes to think things over. After this, the frunk operated normally.

I hope it stays that way. I'm glad I was not in the middle of nowhere with no access to the internet on a Sunday when this happened.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yep, there something odd about how they control that thing. I try not to leave open for any longer than absolutely necessary.