• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate "Work bench" Piece

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Lead Training Manager, Design
I ended up with the work bench because I bought off the lot last year and it came with power tailgate. The step is hugely useful - this is my first time owning a truck and did not appreciate just how absurdly high the gate is, and I am someone who gets in and out of the back a lot. As someone under 40 though my machismo won't ever let me pull out the poll handle. Maybe once I cross that number in a few years that will change...

Everything else though feels a bit gimmicky. Power tailgate is complete gimmick. Having a ruler has been handy a few times, but I'm not a contractor who is regularly working out of the back. If I were I probably would just have more dedicated tools at the ready.

I did do LineX for the interior and they did not spray under/around the work surface. LineX thought that it would interfere with the power tailgate sensor (one more reason having it powered is dumb). The work surface itself has held up well so far but everything around it is scratched to shit. I think though if it ever broke or got too beat up I'd probably just bring it back to LineX and have them coat the tailgate.
I have the Power Tailgate, Step, and Work Surface. I love the Power Tailgate when I am dropping my wife at the door and then drive up when she walks out and I can open and then close the tailgate for her. I also enjoy the 'knee' feature with the Power Tailgate when my hands are full and I can just lift it upwards with my knee and it closes.

As I am 52 and my wife is 61, the Tailgate Step and handle is great. The Work Surface has been sturdy so far with all the 150 bags of dirt, 100 bags of Rock, and 140 bags of mulch that was in it this Summer the first two months after getting it. When loading and unloading it was stacked on the Tailgate.

My Line-X did a great job of getting the Tailgate. I have used the ruler, cup holder, and smartphone/tablet slots to view how to do something while working on it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate "Work bench" Piece 2021 F150 Line-X Tailgate Left - 21_05 29

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate "Work bench" Piece 2021 F150 Line-X Tailgate Right - 21_05 29

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate "Work bench" Piece 2021 F150 Line-X Tailgate Side Left - 21_05 29
Sponsored

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I ordered my 21 Tremor without it because its not something I find necessary for me... When my 21 didn't get built, I switched to a 22 and they changed it so that if you want the LED lights in the bed, you have to get the bed utility package :cautious:. Sooo.. that being said I now have the plastic tailgate for more money, and the step.
This is interesting... I don't have the bed utility package on my 22 XLT order, but I still see "LED Box Lighting" listed for $0 in my order preview and in my tracker Accessories details. There's been some odd Canada/US differences, I wonder if this is another example.

unscheduled clean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 tremor
This is interesting... I don't have the bed utility package on my 22 XLT order, but I still see "LED Box Lighting" listed for $0 in my order preview and in my tracker Accessories details. There's been some odd Canada/US differences, I wonder if this is another example.
Maybe, could also be the difference between trim packages and what is included and what is not. I have the highest package for the tremor, but This was the only way I was going to get the LED bed lights.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
all i wanted was the tailgate step. It's only packaged with the work surface :rolleyes: :cautious:. I'd rather have the tail gate coated with the "Tough Bed" Spray-in liner like the rest of the bed. I do use my truck often to haul wood, rocks and misc. stuff that i'm afraid might crack that plastic.
Ford does the spray in liner on the tailgate when you order the work surface and the spray in liner…
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate "Work bench" Piece F46B88F7-D32A-4026-8525-93A4F0B994C9

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Lead Training Manager, Design
Ford does the spray in liner on the tailgate when you order the work surface and the spray in liner…
F46B88F7-D32A-4026-8525-93A4F0B994C9.jpeg
I notice that the Line-X vs. factory liner goes over the edges of the tailgate. What about between the bed and tailgate. Line-X wraps 1/2" around the edges.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate "Work bench" Piece 2021 F150 Line-X Tailgate Side Left - 21_05 29

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate "Work bench" Piece 2021 F150 Line-X Bed Left - 21_05 29

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I notice that the Line-X vs. factory liner goes over the edges of the tailgate. What about between the bed and tailgate. Line-X wraps 1/2" around the edges.

2021 F150 Line-X Tailgate Side Left - 21_05 29.jpg

2021 F150 Line-X Bed Left - 21_05 29.jpg
Holy cats! my bed hasn't looked that good in 15k miles!
Sponsored