• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2022 MISSING FEATURES: Ambient Lighting & Differences In DEATC between 2021 and 2022 F-150s?

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)
Ford really makes it a lot more complicated than it needs to be, there a lot of "little" things that you can easily miss even if you spend $80,000. Like with work surface, seems silly for the shifter to fold down if you don't have that option, but I think that's an under $200 option on all trim levels. Take a look at pricing up a Ram. They don't have a low/mid/high on each trim level, their option packages stack on each other (can't get a loaded truck w/o a lesser package), and they don't offer as many stand-alone options to complicate dealer inventory. But, same as Ford, you don't get the trailer brake controller even on the higher models unless you want it. There are a lot of pickup truck drivers that never tow or haul much, those people probably think a trailer brake controller is a waste of money, I guess. Can't make everyone happy!

As for Ford's towing packages, the Tow Tech is the best buy because it includes the 360 cam, so you're really getting pro-trailer & trailer brakes for a couple hundred bucks. The next Towing package is $1095, but you loose the 360 Cam in that package, so it really costs about a grand more than TT, and all I can figure after hours of research that I can find comes with that is a higher rated parking brake. Max Tow gives you more: larger disc brakes, different rear, and larger fuel tank, and is actually a better buy than getting those options separately. Even if the dealers had inventory, I probably would have had to order because with so many combinations, no way would they have exactly what I want in stock.

I saw the mention of the scales in TT, that must be a typo - no way would they throw in a option that expensive.
I totally get it. To be honest, I've only been towing the last few years. I haul 5 dirt bikes at a time, so I pretty much need to tow now. GM's are the same way. I really didn't need a 4x4 but liked the trail boss. I looked at one and it had everything but the 6.2L. I really don't like the 5.3L. It doesn't feel like it has any power. To be honest, if it had the 6.2L, I would have bought it. That being said, I got what I wanted with the Lariat. I pretty much got the best truck for the money with the options I needed. In the end I like the Fords better overall.
Sponsored

Mike G-Man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 1969 Mustang 428CJ
Occupation
Fed
I only took the Tow Technology Package to get the 360deg camera. For some reason it's not a standard or even a standalone option.
Looking at my order sheet I did not get the tow tech package but do have the 360 degree camera package listed as a separately priced option.

Reactions: Don

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Ford really makes it a lot more complicated than it needs to be, there a lot of "little" things that you can easily miss even if you spend $80,000. Like with work surface, seems silly for the shifter to fold down if you don't have that option, but I think that's an under $200 option on all trim levels. Take a look at pricing up a Ram. They don't have a low/mid/high on each trim level, their option packages stack on each other (can't get a loaded truck w/o a lesser package), and they don't offer as many stand-alone options to complicate dealer inventory. But, same as Ford, you don't get the trailer brake controller even on the higher models unless you want it. There are a lot of pickup truck drivers that never tow or haul much, those people probably think a trailer brake controller is a waste of money, I guess. Can't make everyone happy!

As for Ford's towing packages, the Tow Tech is the best buy because it includes the 360 cam, so you're really getting pro-trailer & trailer brakes for a couple hundred bucks. The next Towing package is $1095, but you loose the 360 Cam in that package, so it really costs about a grand more than TT, and all I can figure after hours of research that I can find comes with that is a higher rated parking brake. Max Tow gives you more: larger disc brakes, different rear, and larger fuel tank, and is actually a better buy than getting those options separately. Even if the dealers had inventory, I probably would have had to order because with so many combinations, no way would they have exactly what I want in stock.

I saw the mention of the scales in TT, that must be a typo - no way would they throw in a option that expensive.
Agree’d: TT (17S) is a Best Buy - $975 savings compared (2021 pricing) to the Trailer Tow package (53A) + 360 camera package (763) - except for one little line in the RV & Trailer Tow Guide that limits towing to 7K-lbs. If that’s all you need, 17T is a great option.

Orange-F150

First Name
Werner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Looking at my order sheet I did not get the tow tech package but do have the 360 degree camera package listed as a separately priced option.
What's the dates of your order? I bet if it's a few weeks old it might not be relevant to the current '22 builds. But I'm really no expert, just a regular guy ordering my first truck hoping it shows up soon.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Bed Utility package is $995. Power tailgate, work surface, steps, box lights and boxlink connectors. These last two used to be standard in some '21 models.

I mean least they could’ve done is let the people who ordered a 2021 being converted to 2022 know what we will be missing out on. I mean we were only able to build our trucks with what the website showed us. Pretty messy
From back in September:

"If I had to guess, the biggest change will be the price! Base XL will probably stay the same so Ford can still brag about low MSRP, though just like Job 2 options, I imagine most options will increase in price.

They'll hide the extra $$$ in the packages and 20% or more wouldn't surprise me.

I ordered my truck in 2020 and got screwed over when the MaxTow package went from around $1,200 to $1,800 and I hope people that have been waiting patiently for their 2021s don't get bent over by Ford to get the same truck they ordered as a 2022."

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/21-vs-22-f-150.5786/#post-98811

Looks like luckily, prices are holding steady but just as I feared, they've started hiding common, desirable features into higher trims/packages or grouping options together to squeeze more money out of consumers.

I only took the Tow Technology Package to get the 360deg camera. For some reason it's not a standard or even a standalone option.
It's pretty demented to think about it now but back in the day, you would have to get certain higher trims to get options such as blinkers, windshield wipers and even seatbelts. Even as recently as the 90's, you couldn't get airbags in certain cars. Only after a federal law was passed were reverse cameras required in all cars and light trucks.

Sponsored

unscheduled clean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 tremor
I totally get it. To be honest, I've only been towing the last few years. I haul 5 dirt bikes at a time, so I pretty much need to tow now. GM's are the same way. I really didn't need a 4x4 but liked the trail boss. I looked at one and it had everything but the 6.2L. I really don't like the 5.3L. It doesn't feel like it has any power. To be honest, if it had the 6.2L, I would have bought it. That being said, I got what I wanted with the Lariat. I pretty much got the best truck for the money with the options I needed. In the end I like the Fords better overall.
Thats because they put a smaller differential in them to help with gas.

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)
Thats because they put a smaller differential in them to help with gas.
That and the 8 speed transmission isn't very good. Lot's of issues even when I don't tow. As long as I'm a flat road it's fine. As soon as I go up any type of incline, the transmission start searching for gears. Now some of that is rear end ratio, not enough power to actually pull a lower gear and transmission programming. I never had an issues with my Ford 10 speed.

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
SKID PLATES
Another removed item, at least on the Lariat 500A, can't speak for other trims/packages.
In '22 (and even on the '21 truck builder as of this writing) the only way to get skid plates is to buy the FX4 package. in '21 they were a free option on 4X4 as long as you checked it.
Verified with my salesman yesterday. I am getting skids but no FX4, which is useless unless you like stickers for over $1K. OK so you get hill decent and different shocks but who is going to use hill decent anyway????

Darrell

unscheduled clean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 tremor
That and the 8 speed transmission isn't very good. Lot's of issues even when I don't tow. As long as I'm a flat road it's fine. As soon as I go up any type of incline, the transmission start searching for gears. Now some of that is rear end ratio, not enough power to actually pull a lower gear and transmission programming. I never had an issues with my Ford 10 speed.
Yeah GM is going with a 10 speed now too... I keep seeing people talking how Ford and GM worked on the 10 speed together? Seems odd that two rivals would work together.

ryant601

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500, 2022 F150 King Ranch ordered
Yeah GM is going with a 10 speed now too... I keep seeing people talking how Ford and GM worked on the 10 speed together? Seems odd that two rivals would work together.

Seems odd until you realize the benefit of shared R&D costs. Ford spent $7.1bn in R&D in 2020, just to give you a sense of the scope.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
It think what Ford should have done was keep all the features that we ordered on '21 trucks but then converted to a '22 then from that point (trucks that were ordered as 22's) remove those features.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they had no idea of any of the LED lighting that had been removed....Ford isn't even telling the salesmen so they can stay informed.
Sounds like the salesmen are just about as in the dark as the customers..

Darrell

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
It think what Ford should have done was keep all the features that we ordered on '21 trucks but then converted to a '22 then from that point (trucks that were ordered as 22's) remove those features.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they had no idea of any of the LED lighting that had been removed....Ford isn't even telling the salesmen so they can stay informed.
Sounds like the salesmen are just about as in the dark as the customers..

Darrell
Some changes are in the 2022 order guide, just not in the front page summary of changes (I.e. a starred item). For example, the movement of the bed lighting and BoxLink as standard XLT (302A) and standard Lariat options, to the Bed Utility package (68L), is evident once you read it; but you have to specifically review the packages to notice the changes - most managers / salesmen probably aren’t.

Antimatter_KingRanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 3.5PB FX4 Loaded
Occupation
Program Manager
I dont own an F150 I bought the HVAC controls to try and retrofit my super duty cause i wanted the heated steering wheel button. @Hackintoshihope lives pretty close to me and I was helping him install cup holder lights. we got to talking about the HVAC controls and I mentioned I had a set in my shop that he was welcome to try and if they worked I would sell them to him. He opened his 22 controls and looked at the circuit board, Ford removed the ribbon cable connector that went to the dials LCD displays. the pads are still present but no connector is there. I did not count the chips.
Have either your or @Hackintoshihope found part numbers on the glove box/media bin? Seems like it would make sense to put the lights back in at the same time as the cupholder... While everything is opened up.

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
AS someone with an engineering/manufacturing background, this would be a logistical nightmare of biblical proportions.