• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2019 Expedition Limited
Figured i would provide a write up on what i have done thus far to try and add the Forward Sensing System to my 2021 King Ranch, Powerboost, with the 601A package (Chrome Bumpers) and then seek everyone's assistance on ideas as to how to enable the front proximity sensors within FORSan.

My truck already has the Ford Copilot 360 Assist 2.0 which include the 360 Cameras. It has the reverse proximity sensors but not the forward proximity sensors nor the forward BLIS sensors. It does have the front/center sonar sensor which i believe it uses, in coordination with the front camera system, for the front collision alert/avoidance system.

I coordinated with my dealer's part department and identified a 2021 Ford XLT which also had the Ford Copilot 360 Assist 2.0 and 360 Camera System in order to determine which wiring harness and front proximity sensors Ford used. The following parts are what i ordered and installed within my 21 KR. Each proximity sensor retainer had a different part number depending on its placement along the front bumper.

- (1) Wire - Parking; ML3Z-15K867-NA
- (4) Sensor - Parking; LU5Z-15K859-AAPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-AAPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-ABPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-ACPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-ADPTM

Removing the front bumper was relatively easy/straight forward. First, you will need to go under the front bumper of the truck and remove the plastic active Air-Dam, not the active Air-Dam left/right motors, those can stay attacked. The point is to expose the large bolts which attach the front bumper to the truck's frame.

Next, you will need to come out from underneath the truck and remove the plastic cover which goes along the front of the vehicle, just above the bumper. There are two screws on the inside/front of the wheel well on each side. Once the screws are removed, the plastic cover can popped out by lifting up and out from the outside(s) working towards the middle.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A A470FDE2-C46A-4C08-AF8B-A61BD7CDA632

Once you have removed the plastic cover, you will need to go back underneath the truck's front bumper and unscrew the (6) large bolts, (3) on each side, in order to be able to detach the bumper from the truck. If you have a power boost, the pedestrian alert speaker will be directly in the way one of the large bolts. I removed the speaker by unscrewing one screw to the right of the speaker and then twisting the speaker such that it detaches from the speaker's metal bracket. I could not find an easy way to get the pedestrian alert speaker's bracket removed though. I ended up using a long handle (12") 13/16 socket wrench and slowly unscrewing the bolt ~1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Once all of the nuts have been removed, you can come out from underneath the truck and partially pull the bumper away from the truck exposing the wiring harness connecting the truck to the front bumper's sensors and fog lights.

The wiring hardness which connects the truck into the front bumper will have a few connection points, based upon your truck's options. Mine had three connections, Main (Front/Slight left side), front air louvers, and the Pedestrian Alert Speaker, which all needed to be disconnected before i could lift the front bumper completely away from the truck and place it on a blanket on the ground in front of the truck.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A F213C7E7-404F-4661-AA4C-E6C23B26D12A
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 930EF2C6-41B0-461E-A277-CDBF01366379
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A A31B9E4F-8899-4E70-9615-CC780BC6FDDD
The bumper is not extremely heavy and could be able to be lifted by one person; however, you will need two people, one to hold the bumper while the other disconnects the wiring harness, so using two people to remove it is recommended. You will also need two people when putting it back on. One person to hold it up flush against the bolts while you go under the truck to screw the nuts on. If you do it with only one person, the bumper will be low by ~1/2 inch creating a gap between the front rubber seal and the plastic trim piece you removed previously.

Once the front bumper is off the truck, you can begin to remove each of the various components on the back of the bumper, starting with the active air dam motors, fog lights, then left and right structural brackets.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A D1818738-5BAD-49AF-81DF-5E1F7013E517
The left structural bracket (when looking at the back of the front bumper) has the front/center sonar sensor attached to the back of it.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A F617B03D-CA15-456E-B1F8-136E1CD15AF4
I took pictures before i removed anything to ensure i could reference them when putting it back together.

Once the bumper has all of the components removed, i flipped the bumper over and marked each of the proximity sensor location points and drilled them using a 29MM metal hole punch drill bit. The 29MM was a little small compared to the plastic retainer clips' stabilizing flanges. It appears a 30-32MM bit would have been more accurate. Since i didn't have a slightly larger metal hole punch, i simply shaved the retaining clips' (very soft plastic) stabilizing flanges down some so that it fit the hole perfectly. For reference, the retaining clips housing diameter appeared to be 28MM, so once the flanges were shaved down, it fit perfectly/snug into the 29MM holes.

Once you have the proximity holes drilled, you can then flip the bumper over and begin pulling out the old wiring harness in order to install the new one.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 1F4E25ED-2A9C-487F-90FE-2CB3ED2F4A20
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 9B04E484-936F-487A-B5B6-7B5569B84912
Pay close attention to the harness' left and right side as the connections at each end are different.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A F8356343-6055-4AF0-A904-3E4D121B34EC
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 5118132F-B045-47AF-82FF-E794AA6BD693
The only difference between the harness that i removed and the new one was the inclusion of the (4) proximity sensor connectors. I basically removed the old sensor by pulling/clipping one frame (plastic) connection piece at a time and then installing the new harness' corresponding plastic connection piece at the same time. That way i knew it was installed the exact same way. I then pushed in each of the retaining clips, ensuring their placement corresponded to a picture of the front bumper of an XLT with front sensors. Their placement should allow the proximity sensor to affix to the back with their back end to face towards either the right, or left, edge of the bumper, depending on whichever side they are on. As an example, If on right side (when facing the back of the bumper) then the bottom of their "L" should face right. The new harness' proximity connections (now located immediately beside the new sensor) should simply clip into the sensor accordingly. I also glued the proximity sensor's retaining clips to the bumper (from inside the bumper) to keep them from fixed in the correct orientation. Once the new harness was installed, i re-attached all of the components in reverse order ensuring i referenced the pictures i took previously.
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A CC06F205-0FE2-470C-A0B3-8B8B3FCA9A5E
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 80B8554E-0BDA-4882-B74A-36ECA75C492F

After installing the new wiring harness and proximity sensors, using FORSCAN, i made the following changes to enable the proximity sensors and associated features.

Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A 8E6282B6-8534-46B7-897A-62065348E954

I can now say that everything works correctly. The truck recognizes the front sensors, they display and alert correctly, and trigger the front camera when i come close to an object in front of the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
*Update* Drove my truck today and the front proximity sensors worked when pulling into a parking spot. So apparently the FORScan changes did work, but took a few hours (last night until this morning) before the truck recognized them.

It did not turn on the front camera like it does in other models with the 360 camera system though. I'll need to figure out what setting causes that. I am pleased that they work now.

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer
This is pretty awesome. Sounds like we can just add these sensors/wiring harness then update for scan and starting parking without working how close you are to the car in front of you. Thanks for the write up. Im book marking this page and putting mine on order along with matching paint to blend.

OP
OP

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. I’ll play with the settings a little more next weekend to figure out how to get the front camera to automatically display on the Sync system when the front sensors detect an object. That’s the only setting I have not figured out yet.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
This is pretty awesome. Sounds like we can just add these sensors/wiring harness then update for scan and starting parking without working how close you are to the car in front of you. Thanks for the write up. Im book marking this page and putting mine on order along with matching paint to blend.
Not on an XL.. the harness and wiring doesnt exist on the XL. I believe his was populated to the IPMA becuase he is a King Ranch. XL youll have to run it all to the IPMA inside.

Sponsored

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer
Not on an XL.. the harness and wiring doesnt exist on the XL. I believe his was populated to the IPMA becuase he is a King Ranch. XL youll have to run it all to the IPMA inside.
Hopefully I can find the wiring harness part number that goes from the CCM to the IPMA. That would make life easier unless its only a twisted com pair. I guess if its only two pins I could get the tools to populate the connectors and run my own wiring. Im guessing thats what you had to do?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
4 wires. Yes. Had to run them. You would need a new engine harness, dash harness and a new bumper harness

OP
OP

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My write up should be applicable to all of the 2021 Lariat High through Platinum models with the Assist 2.0 package but not the Active Prep. Many of us ordered expecting to also have the Forward Sensing System but for whatever reason Ford did not include them.

The XLT models through Lariat Mid which have the Assist 2.0 should have the forward sensors. That would leave the XL or XLT models which do not have the Assist 2.0 package as not having the other wiring harnesses already.

OP
OP

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4 wires. Yes. Had to run them. You would need a new engine harness, dash harness and a new bumper harness
Reading all of your posts and how you added the sensors and cameras, were you able to figure out how to get the front camera to display on the Sync4 screen when it detects an object?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Reading all of your posts and how you added the sensors and cameras, were you able to figure out how to get the front camera to display on the Sync4 screen when it detects an object?
I havent tried. I didnt add front parking sensors as of yet. Honestly I didnt even know they had that functionality until you said so.

Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White
Figured i would provide a write up on what i have done thus far to try and add the Forward Sensing System to my 2021 King Ranch, Powerboost, with the 601A package (Chrome Bumpers) and then seek everyone's assistance on ideas as to how to enable the front proximity sensors within FORSan.

My truck already has the Ford Copilot 360 Assist 2.0 which include the 360 Cameras. It has the reverse proximity sensors but not the forward proximity sensors nor the forward BLIS sensors. It does have the front/center sonar sensor which i believe it uses, in coordination with the front camera system, for the front collision alert/avoidance system.

I coordinated with my dealer's part department and identified a 2021 Ford XLT which also had the Ford Copilot 360 Assist 2.0 and 360 Camera System in order to determine which wiring harness and front proximity sensors Ford used. The following parts are what i ordered and installed within my 21 KR. Each proximity sensor retainer had a different part number depending on its placement along the front bumper.

- (1) Wire - Parking; ML3Z-15K867-NA
- (4) Sensor - Parking; LU5Z-15K859-AAPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-AAPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-ABPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-ACPTM
- (1) Retainer; ML3Z-15A862-ADPTM

Removing the front bumper was relatively easy/straight forward. First, you will need to go under the front bumper of the truck and remove the plastic active Air-Dam, not the active Air-Dam left/right motors, those can stay attacked. The point is to expose the large bolts which attach the front bumper to the truck's frame.

Next, you will need to come out from underneath the truck and remove the plastic cover which goes along the front of the vehicle, just above the bumper. There are two screws on the inside/front of the wheel well on each side. Once the screws are removed, the plastic cover can popped out by lifting up and out from the outside(s) working towards the middle.

subsequently lift the front bumper off the truck (partially).
Once you have removed the plastic cover, you will need to go back underneath the truck's front bumper and unscrew the (6) large bolts, (3) on each side, in order to be able to detach the bumper from the truck. If you have a power boost, the pedestrian alert speaker will be directly in the way one of the large bolts. I removed the speaker by unscrewing one screw to the right of the speaker and then twisting the speaker such that it detaches from the speaker's metal bracket. I could not find an easy way to get the pedestrian alert speaker's bracket removed though. I ended up using a long handle (12") 13/16 socket wrench and slowly unscrewing the bolt ~1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Once all of the nuts have been removed, you can come out from underneath the truck and partially pull the bumper away from the truck exposing the wiring harness connecting the truck to the front bumper's sensors and fog lights.

The wiring hardness which connects the truck into the front bumper will have a few connection points, based upon your truck's options. Mine had three connections, Main (Front/Slight left side), front air louvers, and the Pedestrian Alert Speaker, which all needed to be disconnected before i could lift the front bumper completely away from the truck and place it on a blanket on the ground in front of the truck. The bumper is not extremely heavy and could be able to be lifted by one person; however, you will need two people, one to hold the bumper while the other disconnects the wiring harness, so using two people to remove it is recommended. You will also need two people when putting it back on. One person to hold it up flush against the bolts while you go under the truck to screw the nuts on. If you do it with only one person, the bumper will be low by ~1/2 inch creating a gap between the front rubber seal and the plastic trim piece you removed previously.

Once the front bumper is off the truck, you can begin to remove each of the various components on the back of the bumper, starting with the active air dam motors, fog lights, then left and right structural brackets. The left structural bracket (when looking at the back of the front bumper) has the front/center sonar sensor attached to the back of it. I took pictures before i removed anything to ensure i could reference them when putting it back together.

Once the bumper has all of the components removed, i flipped the bumper over and marked each of the proximity sensor location points and drilled them using a 29MM metal hole punch drill bit. The 29MM was a little small compared to the plastic retainer clips' stabilizing flanges. It appears a 30-32MM bit would have been more accurate. Since i didn't have a slightly larger metal hole punch, i simply shaved the retaining clips' (very soft plastic) stabilizing flanges down some so that it fit the hole perfectly. For reference, the retaining clips housing diameter appeared to be 28MM, so once the flanges were shaved down, it fit perfectly/snug into the 29MM holes.

Once you have the proximity holes drilled, you can then flip the bumper over and begin pulling out the old wiring harness in order to install the new one. Pay close attention to the harness' left and right side as the connections at each end are different. The only difference between the harness that i removed and the new one was the inclusion of the (4) proximity sensor connectors. I basically removed the old sensor by pulling/clipping one frame (plastic) connection piece at a time and then installing the new harness' corresponding plastic connection piece at the same time. That way i knew it was installed the exact same way. I then pushed in each of the retaining clips, ensuring their placement corresponded to a picture of the front bumper of an XLT with front sensors. Their placement should allow the proximity sensor to affix to the back with their back end to face towards either the right, or left, edge of the bumper, depending on whichever side they are on. As an example, If on right side (when facing the back of the bumper) then the bottom of their "L" should face right. The new harness' proximity connections (now located immediately beside the new sensor) should simply clip into the sensor accordingly. I also glued the proximity sensor's retaining clips to the bumper (from inside the bumper) to keep them from fixed in the correct orientation. Once the new harness was installed, i re-attached all of the components in reverse order ensuring i referenced the pictures i took previously.

After installing the new wiring harness and proximity sensors, i turned on the truck to see if it recognized them and to verify everything i had previously still worked. In doing so, i did not receive any faults, DTCs, or errors; however, i am not entirely sure my front collision warning sonar/sensor is working correctly. All of my fog lights and adaptive cruise features work just fine, including stop/go; however, when not using cruise control, my vehicle detects and shows a vehicle in my path, under the drivers assist indicator at the bottom right of my instrument panel, until i go below 20 MPH. Once below 20 MPH, the indicator or a vehicle directly in front of me disappears. I also noticed that when i come to an abrupt stop behind someone at a stop light/sign, i do not receive the pre-collision warning like i have in the past. I cant tell if it is not working or it is just not as sensitive as before. I increased the sensitivity to "normal" but still no warnings. I have not attempted to come up on someone faster than 15 MPH to test it further though, so not sure how i can confirm it is working or not without receiving a DTC.

Now that i have everything installed, i am now on to where i am having difficulty getting it all to work using FORScan and am hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can point me in the correct direction.

Thus far i have made the following changes and the truck still does not recognize the front proximity sensors. (In order)

IPMA Module (Address/Original Configuration/New Configuration - Change Description or Intended Purpose
o 706-02-01 / 7327-FFC4-0172 / (Changed To) 732B-FFC4-0172 - Change ParkAssistType channels from (4) to (8)
o 706-02-01 / 732B-FFC4-0172 / (Changed To) 732B-FFC4-4172 - Change FeatureCfg_PA_Channels from CH4 to CH8
o 706-12-01 / 09A4-6400-0031 / (Changed To) 19A4-6400-0031 - Turned ModuleFeatureCfg_PA_Front (MFCPAF) to "On"

APIM Module (Address/Original Configuration/New Configuration - Change Description or Intended Purpose)
o 7D0-08-01 / C000-0001-00A1 / (Changed To) C000-0002-00A1 - Change from "PA Rear PDC" to PA Rear/Front PDC"
o 7D0-09-03 / 0040-0004-032A / (Changed To) 0040-0004-072A - Change Front Park Aid Long Term Disable (FPALTD) from disable to enable

At this point, i can see the front proximity sensor "graphic" when in reverse, using the single (full screen) backup camera, but not going forward. Walking in front of the proximity sensors when in forward or reverse does not cause the truck to respond. So i am hoping maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can help and point me in the correct direction from here.

V/r,
Randal
Great writeup! Thank you!!

But...
Ford F-150 Lightning Adding Forward Sensing System - 2021 King Ranch w/601A this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics
;)

OP
OP

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great writeup! Thank you!!

But...
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
;)
I added some of the pics i took last weekend, but i admit they aren’t the best. I was more focused on making sure i could put it all back together than i was illustrating the steps i took at the time. I’ll go back through this weekend to take some better pics to add.

Reactions: sbi
OP
OP

Omodan

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I havent tried. I didnt add front parking sensors as of yet. Honestly I didnt even know they had that functionality until you said so.
Ahh okie. I didn’t either until a co-worker showed me. He has an XLT with the Assist 2.0. He pulled up to my truck to show me the feature.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It could also be a feature job 2 trucks introduced. Job 2 trucks have a updated ipma and different apim software with more camera ability than job 1

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Ahh okie. I didn’t either until a co-worker showed me. He has an XLT with the Assist 2.0. He pulled up to my truck to show me the feature.
Pull his as built data to compare. I was looking at the second group in 706-12-01 xxxx-x**x-xxxx. The spreadsheet doesn’t make sense for those two as they overlap. Maybe due to a different ipma as Jesse mentioned.
Sponsored