Sponsored

Buy Back - Who went this route? What was your experience?

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
After a month at the dealership for a battery module replacement and then a return to the dealership a week later due to charging issues, Ford has agreed to Buy Back my MY22 Lightning. I'm awaiting an official offer from Ford sometime next week. While I wait, I was curious to hear what Ford offered others along with how the whole process went?

In Massachusetts, I know its the standard calculation plus a refund in sales tax, financing interest and dealer installed options. I'm expecting a fairly significant check north of 75k. However, I know some folks have been disappointed by the Ford offer.

Any feed back is appreciated.
Sponsored

AlRFORCE1

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I'm also waiting for a buy back number from Ford. Do you have any updates on how yours went?

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I'm also waiting for a buy back number from Ford. Do you have any updates on how yours went?
It was a very easy process. Ford first offered me exactly what the Massachusetts Lemon Law requires them to. My Ford rep told me to decline that offer and say that Ford could do better. Ford then came back with an additional $5,000. Overall I got to keep the $15,000 in EV incentives I received and only lost a few thousand in the BuyBack. Net I made money on the whole thing.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
From experience they will negotiate after they present the buyback number If there is a “Usage charge” for miles driven that’s where you can negotiate At least 1/2 or all of that number.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
From experience they will negotiate after they present the buyback number If there is a “Usage charge” for miles driven that’s where you can negotiate At least 1/2 or all of that number.
Yes the previous poster that lost a few thousand made a marginal deal since full buy back is possible minus a slight mileage rate from the date of the 1st safety-performance issue - did you do a buy back with Ford?

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Yes the previous poster that lost a few thousand made a marginal deal since full buy back is possible minus a slight mileage rate from the date of the 1st safety-performance issue - did you do a buy back with Ford?
I did a replacement rather than a buy back. The reason was the lemon truck was purchased with a trade in so the sales tax I paid was minimal therefore I would get reimbursed for sales tax sales tax had I purchased it outright with no trade in. .

They reimburse all sales tax, registration fees, dealer fees from the original lemon purchase. If you have a loan they reimburse all payments some way. Since I didn't have a loan I can't speak to how that works.

With the replacement deal they allowed me to replace the lemon with a truck that has a MSRP of 105% of the lemon MSRP without paying for it. I went up one model year and the new MSRP was just below the 105% of the lemon MSRP so no additional cost to upgrade. I ordered the replacement exactly as I wanted rather than find one on a lot.

Actually the Ford RAV Team (Re Aquired Vehicle) is pretty organized. My last one was done during Covid so it took a little longer due to staffing shortage at Ford.

I've done 2 Lemons with Ford (2000 and 2019) and one with Nissan (2020). It sounds like a lot but I've purchased 68 new vehicles to date so 3 out of 68 isn't that bad.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
I did a replacement rather than a buy back. The reason was the lemon truck was purchased with a trade in so the sales tax I paid was minimal therefore I would get reimbursed for sales tax sales tax had I purchased it outright with no trade in. .

They reimburse all sales tax, registration fees, dealer fees from the original lemon purchase. If you have a loan they reimburse all payments some way. Since I didn't have a loan I can't speak to how that works.

With the replacement deal they allowed me to replace the lemon with a truck that has a MSRP of 105% of the lemon MSRP without paying for it. I went up one model year and the new MSRP was just below the 105% of the lemon MSRP so no additional cost to upgrade. I ordered the replacement exactly as I wanted rather than find one on a lot.

Actually the Ford RAV Team (Re Aquired Vehicle) is pretty organized. My last one was done during Covid so it took a little longer due to staffing shortage at Ford.

I've done 2 Lemons with Ford (2000 and 2019) and one with Nissan (2020). It sounds like a lot but I've purchased 68 new vehicles to date so 3 out of 68 isn't that bad.
Thank you Jerry - FMC corporate seems very professional - I sent you a message for follow up. I'd be willing to try again with Ford perhaps if they do a clean buy back since pandemic era builds are suspect.

sr3jan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
After a month at the dealership for a battery module replacement and then a return to the dealership a week later due to charging issues, Ford has agreed to Buy Back my MY22 Lightning. I'm awaiting an official offer from Ford sometime next week. While I wait, I was curious to hear what Ford offered others along with how the whole process went?

In Massachusetts, I know its the standard calculation plus a refund in sales tax, financing interest and dealer installed options. I'm expecting a fairly significant check north of 75k. However, I know some folks have been disappointed by the Ford offer.

Any feed back is appreciated.
How did you start this process? My '23 has had the battery replaced once a few months ago and is back in now for a drivetrain error.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
How did you start this process? My '23 has had the battery replaced once a few months ago and is back in now for a drivetrain error.
Yes - that would be awesome to share so we know a best route.
Full price buy back should be the FMC norm - a small fee for mileage excluding mileage when it was not performing.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
For me, I had a Ford rep assigned to me during the 3-4 week module replacement process. Since I was coming up on a year and likely needed to submit my Lemon Law claim, I asked the rep to start the Buy Back process in parallel with fixing the truck. After a week or two when I was checking in on the status of my truck, the rep indicated my Buy Back was approved and that she would no longer be assisting me since the case switched from a repair to a Buy Back. I didn't have to do anything special.

Sponsored

maineiah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
My 2023 has been in the shop for 7 weeks in Maine for a ProPower Onboard issue that cannot be resolved. FoMoCo has denied my buyback request 3 times. I suspect because the dealer has worked on it a bunch with repairs and parts but has yet to diagnose the issue properly to determine the correct repair. The dealer will let me trade it in at what I have into it for another new one (basically a shell game), but I'd rather just be done with it. Ugh.

sr3jan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
For me, I had a Ford rep assigned to me during the 3-4 week module replacement process. Since I was coming up on a year and likely needed to submit my Lemon Law claim, I asked the rep to start the Buy Back process in parallel with fixing the truck. After a week or two when I was checking in on the status of my truck, the rep indicated my Buy Back was approved and that she would no longer be assisting me since the case switched from a repair to a Buy Back. I didn't have to do anything special.
How did this assignment happen? I did not get a rep when my battery was replaced the first time.

sr3jan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat
My 2023 has been in the shop for 7 weeks in Maine for a ProPower Onboard issue that cannot be resolved. FoMoCo has denied my buyback request 3 times. I suspect because the dealer has worked on it a bunch with repairs and parts but has yet to diagnose the issue properly to determine the correct repair. The dealer will let me trade it in at what I have into it for another new one (basically a shell game), but I'd rather just be done with it. Ugh.
Have you researched the lemon law in Maine? It looks like you have 3 years or 18,000 miles to report the issue. https://www.maine.gov/ag/consumer/law_guide_article.shtml?id=27925

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Interesting - I plan to time mine so I keep driving it in buy back status until a new made to order discounted '24 ER Flash comes in - it seems you have a near full price check coming soon? Thank you.

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
Currently with a Lemon Law attorney for a buyback since Ford denied mine as well. Didn't know you could ask more than once! My experience so far is that my truck is still in the shop, the lawyer has made the complaint with Ford and it will be several months before anything comes of it according to them. I am hopeful. I'm out the money and the truck...sucks.
Sponsored