• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat ER makes single "engaging" clanking sound right after truck starts rolling

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightening Lariat Extended Range
A couple of days ago, all of a sudden, my 2022 Lariat ER started to make a single "engaging" noise a fraction of a second after truck starts moving from a complete stop (I am using one-pedal driving). It sounds like some mechanical part is hitting another one, but it only "bangs" once when truck starts to roll from a complete stop. No such sound if not moving from a completely stop. It feels almost like the rear driving mechanism "engages" with real wheels mechanically, like a moving gear hits a stationary gear with some gap between the two.

Anyone had this issue so far?
Sponsored

Driver8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I think I have the same sound you have. But I have only noticed it when going through the dip at the end of my driveway. I have been assuming there is a little bit of play in the removable tailgate, and the noise is coming from a shift in the tailgate as I go through the dip or turn out into the road.

Does that seem consistent with what you are experiencing?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Sounds like a failing half-shaft joint.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
A couple of days ago, all of a sudden, my 2022 Lariat ER started to make a single "engaging" noise a fraction of a second after truck starts moving from a complete stop (I am using one-pedal driving). It sounds like some mechanical part is hitting another one, but it only "bangs" once when truck starts to roll from a complete stop. No such sound if not moving from a completely stop. It feels almost like the rear driving mechanism "engages" with real wheels mechanically, like a moving gear hits a stationary gear with some gap between the two.

Anyone had this issue so far?
Did you ever get the "anti-ting" washers installed back when that CSP was a thing? 2022 could be within that timeframe.

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
I think there was a service bulletin on this issue , involves them adding a washer to the cv nut, should cost you nothing . It’s like a metallic clunk when leaving a stop I believe.

Sponsored
OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not recall they did this particular service, but I will check tomorrow. The truck was serviced about three weeks ago, for a bunch of Ford suggested / required service bulletins and firmware update.

"It’s like a metallic clunk when leaving a stop" - this sounds exactly like what I experienced. Thanks a lot for quick info!

I think there was a service bulletin on this issue , involves them adding a washer to the cv nut, should cost you nothing . It’s like a metallic clunk when leaving a stop I believe.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not recall having this piece done last time it was in the shop. Will check it out. Thanks for the info.

Other than that, it's been great driving the truck. Anxiously waiting for the supercharger adapter to arrive!

Did you ever get the "anti-ting" washers installed back when that CSP was a thing? 2022 could be within that timeframe.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, it does not. It happens on perfectly flat and smooth road. Sometimes the tailgate won't close on the first try, as if there is a ghost blocking the sensor so the truck thinks the gate should not be closed to avoid catch the ghost :)

I think I have the same sound you have. But I have only noticed it when going through the dip at the end of my driveway. I have been assuming there is a little bit of play in the removable tailgate, and the noise is coming from a shift in the tailgate as I go through the dip or turn out into the road.

Does that seem consistent with what you are experiencing?

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am not into vehicle mechanics - is it safe to drive it on highway? I am planning a 110 miles (round trip, mostly highway) journey next Tuesday before visiting the shop on Wednesday.

I drove a bit between 25 - 65 mph since I noticed the issue. Other than that single metallic clunk noise when rolling form a complete stop, I did not hear/feel anything different.

Sounds like a failing half-shaft joint.

Sponsored

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
I am not into vehicle mechanics - is it safe to drive it on highway? I am planning a 110 miles (round trip, mostly highway) journey next Tuesday before visiting the shop on Wednesday.

I drove a bit between 25 - 65 mph since I noticed the issue. Other than that single metallic clunk noise when rolling form a complete stop, I did not hear/feel anything different.
Not dangerous as it is the splines under load that slightly shift in the hub assembly , hence the metallic noise , nothing is loose per se just enough “play” to make the noise.
Like you said , no vibrations, etc , you are fine.

FlatcoatFarm

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I had that precise issue (mechanical "clink" on starting from stop using 1-pedal) on my previous Lightning (2023 XLT SR). Had the washers installed by the dealership, and bingo, no more clinking.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. I have only one trip planned and will visit the shop on Wednesday.

Not dangerous as it is the splines under load that slightly shift in the hub assembly , hence the metallic noise , nothing is loose per se just enough “play” to make the noise.
Like you said , no vibrations, etc , you are fine.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great to know! A guy skipped a step when putting together the truck? I guess AI would not do that :)

I had that precise issue (mechanical "clink" on starting from stop using 1-pedal) on my previous Lightning (2023 XLT SR). Had the washers installed by the dealership, and bingo, no more clinking.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just checked service records - no washer was mentioned.

Sponsored