Odd compressor noise with Max A/C

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
So in all the time I've owned my truck (since October 2022), I don't think I'd ever tried using Max A/C until yesterday. I was just looking at the settings and figured I'd give it a try to see how quickly it could cool down my truck.

As soon as I turned it on, I was greeted with a loud and somewhat usual sound coming from the the under trunk/hood HVAC area. After it happened the first time, it occurred to me to try and get it on film to post on here.

What you're seeing below is a recording of my third attempt at turning on the Max A/C setting. For the record the AC works and blows very cold in that mode and my bi-directional scanner doesn't show any HVAC codes or operating issues, at least right now. Also has always sounded completely normal in regular AC and heat modes.

Thoughts? Do your trucks make the same noise? Is this normal?

Sponsored

Tclark5

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
So in all the time I've owned my truck (since October 2022), I don't think I'd ever tried using Max A/C until yesterday. I was just looking at the settings and figured I'd give it a try to see how quickly it could cool down my truck.

As soon as I turned it on, I was greeted with a loud and somewhat usual sound coming from the the under trunk/hood HVAC area. After it happened the first time, it occurred to me to try and get it on film to post on here.

What you're seeing below is a recording of my third attempt at turning on the Max A/C setting. For the record the AC works and blows very cold in that mode and my bi-directional scanner doesn't show any HVAC codes or operating issues, at least right now. Also has always sounded completely normal in regular AC and heat modes.

Sounds like the compressor is going to its top speed. Mine has a similar sound on a very hot day, and when I fast charge.

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Ditto. Mine has the Max Tow package and sounds like that when I start it on really hot days.
I was surprised by how loud it gets.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Same. Live in AZ so that sound is singing daily.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh wow okay I've never personally heard this sound before and I've DC fast charged a couple times and driven on some pretty hot days before. But good to know it's normal! Big relief since I'll be leaving for a long road trip in a couple weeks!

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Sometimes you get that same sound during a software update. If the communication between modules is interrupted some of the modules go to full duty cycle as a failsafe. I’ve walked into the garage at night before and the truck was doing that during an OTA.

Tradewind

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
When I've remote-started mine on hot days, it is so loud it sounds almost like an ICE running. I would be more concerned if there were variations in the sound or something inconsistent with it. But it's probably not different than the AC on an ICE F-150, we just don't have the V6 and radiator fan drowning out the compressor.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When I've remote-started mine on hot days, it is so loud it sounds almost like an ICE running. I would be more concerned if there were variations in the sound or something inconsistent with it. But it's probably not different than the AC on an ICE F-150, we just don't have the V6 and radiator fan drowning out the compressor.
Well I've done the same and I'm used to hearing the fan go full bore, but just never heard this level of compressor noise before. Turning on Max A/C for the first time is the first time I've heard it. But as long as it's normal, I'll gladly ignore it lol

Eastbaylightning

First Name
Antz Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Same with mine on a very hot day under the sun for a few hours. The noise will be gone in like 3-5 mins. I guess I shouldn't be worry?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hey there, Chuck! Can you please send me a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location so I can look into this A/C compressor noise concern for you? I'd be happy to see what I can do to assist! To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".
Sponsored