• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Air Conditioner Compressor Issues

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Thanks for the info. I am still under bumper to bumper warranty coverage.
Super good news...no fun being without it, although for years I drove around without using my A/C to save on gas..some vehicles I owned, I could practically see the fuel gauge moving while I drove...on my Lightning, using the MAX A/C takes about 10 miles of range off according to the guess-o-meter, about the same for my Leaf where range is more important there being so little of it.

Good luck.
Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Pretty sure it is a mechanical problem with your A/C compressor...

———————

See: https://www.hayscoolingandheating.c...or-to-make-a-whining-noise-when-accelerating/

Causes of a Whining Noise When Accelerating Your Car
A bad AC compressor in a car can also make a whining sound when the vehicle accelerates. It is attached by a belt to the crankshaft.
This explanation doesn’t apply because we don’t have crankshafts. The compressor is independently controlled by the computer and has nothing to do with drive motor RPM or speed. I’d bet a nice steak dinner that this was written by an AI tool and has little ties to reality.

Why would the compressor care whether the truck is moving or not? Mine operates the same regardless of road speed.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Cut and pasted from another thread:

I've noticed that that when there are equipment issues, someone @Ford Motor Company will usually step up quickly and get involved (BTW, thanks for that !!)

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
Happened to me last year. Had to change the whole thing. They originally deemed it "just fine", but after pushing that is wasn't operating if I wasn't doing highway driving they eventually did a further diagnostic check and found out that something wasn't turning on (I'm assuming one of the fans when idle). Get it checked and really push that this isn't normal.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This explanation doesn’t apply because we don’t have crankshafts. The compressor is independently controlled by the computer and has nothing to do with drive motor RPM or speed. I’d bet a nice steak dinner that this was written by an AI tool and has little ties to reality.

Why would the compressor care whether the truck is moving or not? Mine operates the same regardless of road speed.
It was in reference to ICE vehicles, obviously, and it was saying "also..." that is in an ICE vehicle that can be another source of a whining sound.

But the compressor can make whining noises no matter HOW it is propelled, and the initial info at the link is:

"Loud whining sounds from a compressor often mean there’s an internal pressure problem. If enough pressure is released from the compressor, it might sound more like a loud scream....

The pressure that causes AC compressor whining can be due to a:

• Refrigerant overcharge, which strains the compressor’s piston cylinders.
  • Blocked suction line, which can also cause the system to overheat.
  • Dirty coil, in which dust, grime, and mineral scale prevent heat transfer, increasing pressure and temperature until the compressor overheats and fails...."
So, obviously, one can ignore the information that wouldn't apply and consider that which would apply to ANY A/C compressor.

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
It was in reference to ICE vehicles, obviously, and it was saying "also..." that is in an ICE vehicle that can be another source of a whining sound.

But the compressor can make whining noises no matter HOW it is propelled, and the initial info at the link is:

"Loud whining sounds from a compressor often mean there’s an internal pressure problem. If enough pressure is released from the compressor, it might sound more like a loud scream....

The pressure that causes AC compressor whining can be due to a:

• Refrigerant overcharge, which strains the compressor’s piston cylinders.
  • Blocked suction line, which can also cause the system to overheat.
  • Dirty coil, in which dust, grime, and mineral scale prevent heat transfer, increasing pressure and temperature until the compressor overheats and fails...."
So, obviously, one can ignore the information that wouldn't apply and consider that which would apply to ANY A/C compressor.
None of that is true. Pressure isn’t released from a compressor unless a seal fails, which causes the refrigerant pressure to drop and the cutoff switch will prevent the compressor from running again.

Whining sounds from a compressor can be caused by bearing or other mechanical failure, which requires replacement of the compressor, a new orfice tube, and a flush/replace of the rest of the system. Pressure can’t cause this. These compressors don’t use pistons, either. That’s old tech that hasn’t been used much in the past few decades.

That article is clickbait BS and nothing more. They got our clicks, so they earned their ad revenue, so mission accomplished.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None of that is true. Pressure isn’t released from a compressor unless a seal fails, which causes the refrigerant pressure to drop and the cutoff switch will prevent the compressor from running again.

Whining sounds from a compressor can be caused by bearing or other mechanical failure, which requires replacement of the compressor, a new orfice tube, and a flush/replace of the rest of the system. Pressure can’t cause this. These compressors don’t use pistons, either. That’s old tech that hasn’t been used much in the past few decades.

That article is clickbait BS and nothing more. They got our clicks, so they earned their ad revenue, so mission accomplished.
I am not an expert on A/C tech, just got that from an A/C install and repair company's web site.

I don't think what they said there is inconsistent with what you are saying about a mechanical failure if a pressure problem could CAUSE a mechanical failure? Or if a mechanical failure can cause a pressure problem.

It seems reasonable to think that is possibly what they were getting at.

What if the cutoff switch fails? Couldn't that cause the compressor to experience a mechanical failure?

Also, what they said was consistent with another HVAC company's info.
---
https://thomasgalbraith.com/knowledge-center/ac-making-weird-noises/

Squealing Noise
A high-pitched squealing noise from inside the compressor should be fixed as soon as possible. Squealing is a sign of high internal pressure and dangerous operating conditions. You’ll hear the squealing sounds as the air conditioner first starts, and they last only about 10 to 15 seconds.

A less severe cause of squealing noise from an air conditioner is dry fan motor bearings or a loose fan belt. When bearings lose lubrication, they produce a squealing or grinding noise as metal rubs against metal within the fan motor. Older air conditioners use belt-driven blowers and condenser fan units, meaning a fan belt attaches to the fan and the motor. An old belt may become loose and slip from position, making a squealing sound as the system runs.

---
Maybe that's "click-bait" too? I can't judge whether it is or not. They do mention bearings as well in that one.

Also found posts on Quora that were consistent:
---
  • Compressor Troubles: The compressor is a crucial component of the AC unit. If there are issues with the compressor, such as worn-out parts or electrical problems, it could result in a whining noise.
  • Refrigerant Issues: Low or leaking refrigerant can lead to various noises in the AC unit, including a whining sound. This could be accompanied by other symptoms like reduced cooling efficiency.
https://www.quora.com/Why-would-my-outside-AC-unit-whine-intermittently
---

Anyway, the Ford dealer saying there was nothing wrong with having a whining sound from the A/C system was the real BS.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
A few days ago, my air conditioner compressor kicked on and immediately back off when I started the truck. It did not kick back on until I started driving which was immediately highway driving. Yesterday after work, the same thing. I was in town this time and the compressor would kick on and blow cold air when moving and kick back off and blow hot air when stopped. Same thing again today. I tried calling the dealership to set up an appointment but couldn't get them to answer the phone so I drove up there. Once I arrived. they told me their system has been down since last Wednesday and they can't accept any appointments or do any warranty work. They have no idea when the system will be back up. I've had the truck for two years now, taking delivery in July 2022. I had no issues with the compressor the first summer. Last summer, the compressor starting making a high pitched whine when it kicked on (which I've seen mentioned in a few posts here and there on this forum). The dealership of course told me this was normal so I was expecting problems at some point. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, was it a bad compressor or a bad relay switch? If it is a relay switch, the whining still has be concerned.
Hello there! Are you still experiencing this concern with your air conditioner compressor? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
I have heard the compressor noise before, but I have never experienced the quick stop. Best wishes cause it's pretty hot these days.

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat+ Lightning Ordered
Hello there! Are you still experiencing this concern with your air conditioner compressor? If so, I would like to look into it on my end. Please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer.
DM Sent.

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
A few days ago, my air conditioner compressor kicked on and immediately back off when I started the truck. It did not kick back on until I started driving which was immediately highway driving. Yesterday after work, the same thing. I w.....
sorry to hear that. not like it's been hot or anything here in Arkansas.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
A few days ago, my air conditioner compressor kicked on and immediately back off when I started the truck. It did not kick back on until I started driving which was immediately highway driving. Yesterday after work, the same thing. I was in town this time and the compressor would kick on and blow cold air when moving and kick back off and blow hot air when stopped. Same thing again today. I tried calling the dealership to set up an appointment but couldn't get them to answer the phone so I drove up there. Once I arrived. they told me their system has been down since last Wednesday and they can't accept any appointments or do any warranty work. They have no idea when the system will be back up. I've had the truck for two years now, taking delivery in July 2022. I had no issues with the compressor the first summer. Last summer, the compressor starting making a high pitched whine when it kicked on (which I've seen mentioned in a few posts here and there on this forum). The dealership of course told me this was normal so I was expecting problems at some point. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, was it a bad compressor or a bad relay switch? If it is a relay switch, the whining still has be concerned.
I saw above that Ford was going to get you taken care of hopefully! FWIW I don’t know if any of you saw that a lot of dealerships software was hacked In the last few weeks I imagine this is the problem when you contacted them as I had a similar situation I had contacted the dealer to do the CSP for the battery module replacement and it took them a couple weeks to get the part because their system was down due to the hack. Fortunately, they had mobile service so they came to the house and did it in about three minutes once the part came in!
Good luck!

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
Happened to me last year. Had to change the whole thing. They originally deemed it "just fine", but after pushing that is wasn't operating if I wasn't doing highway driving they eventually did a further diagnostic check and found out that something wasn't turning on (I'm assuming one of the fans when idle). Get it checked and really push that this isn't normal.
My fan is screaming in the driveway when the ac is on and truck not moving, very loud actually

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat+ Lightning Ordered
I saw above that Ford was going to get you taken care of hopefully! FWIW I don’t know if any of you saw that a lot of dealerships software was hacked In the last few weeks I imagine this is the problem when you contacted them as I had a similar situation I had contacted the dealer to do the CSP for the battery module replacement and it took them a couple weeks to get the part because their system was down due to the hack. Fortunately, they had mobile service so they came to the house and did it in about three minutes once the part came in!
Good luck!
Yes. The first dealership I reached out to is the closest to me but not where I bought the truck. I reached out to the dealership I bought the truck from and, although they were also hacked, they went ahead and scheduled me to bring my truck in. I hope the hack gets resolved soon and I won't have to wait a long time for parts/repair because I have a feeling it'll be a replacement like @Marcoux.

And I hope Ford is going to work on getting this resolved quickly. They didn't respond to my DM. I don't know if that's their normal MO or because of the holiday.
Sponsored