OTA Update Question

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
The door issue is more a proximity issue, which was just fixed on my dads Mach E but I have no clue if or when I will see that update. But basically the back door sensors for the key fob or the phone to unlock hardly ever work. I literally have to do like almost a dance to make it work where I have to shift my hip with the key almost touching the door. Most of the time I give up and just using the front handle. Again, minor annoyance I know however there are other issues I have trouble with that worry me more. And again it would be one thing knowing that that is just how it is, or even bad hardware but that isn't the issue. As Ford has fixed the issue and has an update they just haven't given it to me yet.
That does suck! I hate having to do the little dance to try and get the key to work. I have an XLT, so I have no option but to use the door handle. One minor annoyance I do have is the couple of OTAs I have gotten, I feel like having scrolled around the forum were released before my truck was built. I feel like those should have been included at the factory. Then start the waiting game of updating to releases after the build date once the truck is purchased. But at the end of the day it's all a crap shoot and we just play the game.
Sponsored

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
That does suck! I hate having to do the little dance to try and get the key to work. I have an XLT, so I have no option but to use the door handle. One minor annoyance I do have is the couple of OTAs I have gotten, I feel like having scrolled around the forum were released before my truck was built. I feel like those should have been included at the factory. Then start the waiting game of updating to releases after the build date once the truck is purchased. But at the end of the day it's all a crap shoot and we just play the game.
Same here, but they were not. And then it sat on the lot before I bought it which made it even worse because it basically never reported in. Then it had modem issues which where fix by you guessed it an OTA update that made it when the modem was functioning. Now I have a functioning modem and no updates. :facepalm:

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
Same here, but they were not. And then it sat on the lot before I bought it which made it even worse because it basically never reported in. Then it had modem issues which where fix by you guessed it an OTA update that made it when the modem was functioning. Now I have a functioning modem and no updates. :facepalm:
That does suck! Mine sat on the lot from November until three weeks ago when I bought it with only 33 miles on it. I think when I got in to test drive it there were only 18 miles on it, so it hadn’t been driven in a while. Got my first two updates the first week and then got a third yesterday. I think the most frustrating thing is we have all grown so accustomed to updates for our phones and all the other tech in our lives, this new model seems so foreign to us.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The door issue is more a proximity issue, which was just fixed on my dads Mach E but I have no clue if or when I will see that update. But basically the back door sensors for the key fob or the phone to unlock hardly ever work. I literally have to do like almost a dance to make it work where I have to shift my hip with the key almost touching the door. Most of the time I give up and just using the front handle. Again, minor annoyance I know however there are other issues I have trouble with that worry me more. And again it would be one thing knowing that that is just how it is, or even bad hardware but that isn't the issue. As Ford has fixed the issue and has an update they just haven't given it to me yet.
I can never get the button on the rear doors to lock the truck and rarely unlock when using them first. I have a habit now of gripping the driver's door handle to unlock the truck before helping the kids get in. I think I asked a long time ago if others had problems and it what was mixed results so I've just accepted it for now. If my dealer had reasonable appointments I'd ask them to take a look as I'm fairly certain it's not working as advertised.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
With the exception of Tesla (for the most part), ALL manufacturers offering OTA updates have issues. This is not a Ford only problem.

I'll never understand the long-term apprehension people have about working on their own vehicles. The resources to remedy the update problems exist. It is no different than someone who does their own oil changes or brake jobs on their driveways. The only difference is, you won't get any grime under your fingernails when doing updates.

Then there's the argument of "Why should I have to invest my time and money into doing something Ford should be doing?"

Good point; I guess. Then go ahead and continue to bleed tears on the forums and tagging the useless Ford account and thinking this is going to get any better any time soon. We're driving $70k/$80k/$90k trucks and for a few hundred dollars, a weekend and 12 pack or two of beer, your vehicle can be updated and you have a tool at your disposal that will forever liberate you from the crappy OTA process and most dealer dependencies.

Old school automotive DIYers like myself have all kinds of tools in their garage. With these EV's, 90% of issues are solved with a laptop and not a wrench. An OTA bricked your vehicle? FDRS will bring it back to life in minutes. An OTA broke bluecruise? FDRS can fix it in minutes. I'd rather pay $50 for a license to access FDRS and fix my problem in my driveway than have to go through a dealer; even under warranty.

Like most things in life: If you want something done right, then you have to do it yourself. At least Ford gives us the option to take matters into our own hands and do it ourselves. Most manufacturers do not, and for that, I am very grateful. Otherwise, my truck might still be on software from 2021 with no bluecruise, no full-screen phone capability, no cameras in motion, and none of the other cool stuff I have been able to add that my truck wasn't supposed to have thanks to the fact that it is up to date, but I digress.......to each their own.

Sponsored
OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
With the exception of Tesla (for the most part), ALL manufacturers offering OTA updates have issues. This is not a Ford only problem.

I'll never understand the long-term apprehension people have about working on their own vehicles. The resources to remedy the update problems exist. It is no different than someone who does their own oil changes or brake jobs on their driveways. The only difference is, you won't get any grime under your fingernails when doing updates.

Then there's the argument of "Why should I have to invest my time and money into doing something Ford should be doing?"

Good point; I guess. Then go ahead and continue to bleed tears on the forums and tagging the useless Ford account and thinking this is going to get any better any time soon. We're driving $70k/$80k/$90k trucks and for a few hundred dollars, a weekend and 12 pack or two of beer, your vehicle can be updated and you have a tool at your disposal that will forever liberate you from the crappy OTA process and most dealer dependencies.

Old school automotive DIYers like myself have all kinds of tools in their garage. With these EV's, 90% of issues are solved with a laptop and not a wrench. An OTA bricked your vehicle? FDRS will bring it back to life in minutes. An OTA broke bluecruise? FDRS can fix it in minutes. I'd rather pay $50 for a license to access FDRS and fix my problem in my driveway than have to go through a dealer; even under warranty.

Like most things in life: If you want something done right, then you have to do it yourself. At least Ford gives us the option to take matters into our own hands and do it ourselves. Most manufacturers do not, and for that, I am very grateful. Otherwise, my truck might still be on software from 2021 with no bluecruise, no full-screen phone capability, no cameras in motion, and none of the other cool stuff I have been able to add that my truck wasn't supposed to have thanks to the fact that it is up to date, but I digress.......to each their own.
I bought a $82,000 truck, I have no issues doing my own work. But I should not have to fix Fords mistakes by having to spend $1,000 of my own money. Now that isn't to say I'm not half tempted to do it but I should not have to. And that is basically what I am saying. Can I do it myself, sure but I shouldn't have to.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I bought a $82,000 truck, I have no issues doing my own work. But I should not have to fix Fords mistakes by having to spend $1,000 of my own money. Now that isn't to say I'm not half tempted to do it but I should not have to. And that is basically what I am saying. Can I do it myself, sure but I shouldn't have to.
I agree that we shouldn't have to, but the fact that we can is a blessing and very liberating.

You don't even need to spend that much. Lmk if you want me to add you to the list to borrow one of mine.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...mming-vehicle-interface-lending-thread.13145/

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Buying a cable is a one time expense I’ve considered being in the $500 +|- range to avoid dealership experience.

So does each license only work on one VIN, ?
I see it binds to only a single PC at a time.

Looking for best price on “mongoose?” Cable now.

Found FDRS pricing, the 2 day sufficient time to do all updates I’d sure hope for the $49.95
—-
365 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $849.95 per license
30 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $149.95 per license
2 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $49.95 per license

Last edited:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Buying a cable is a one time expense I’ve considered being in the $1000 +|- range to avoid dealership experience.

So does each license only work on one VIN, ?
I see it binds to only a single PC at a time.

Looking for best price on “mongoose?” Cable now.

Found FDRS pricing, the 2 day sufficient time to do all updates I’d sure hope for the $49.95
—-
365 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $849.95 per license
30 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $149.95 per license
2 day FJDS/FDRS Software License = $49.95 per license
The license binds to a PC, but you can use it on as many VINs as you want while the license is active. So if you have multiple vehicles in the household or want to help a buddy out, you can.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Found this one, is this the best one overall to buy at
$539.95 or a different model..?
I’m looking to just learn and just start doing all this myself as I’m fed up waiting on OTA updates that I’m a year behind on.
Mongoose-Plus J2534 OEM Vehicle Interface Cable - Ford/Lincoln/Mercury OEM Reprogramming and Diagnostics
https://a.co/d/bkHKlM3

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Found this one, is this the best one overall to buy at
$539.95 or a different model..?
I’m looking to just learn and just start doing all this myself as I’m fed up waiting on OTA updates that I’m a year behind on.
Mongoose-Plus J2534 OEM Vehicle Interface Cable - Ford/Lincoln/Mercury OEM Reprogramming and Diagnostics
https://a.co/d/bkHKlM3
That's the only one unless you can find a used one on ebay or something. That's how I got my first one.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
That's the only one unless you can find a used one on ebay or something. That's how I got my first one.
Thank you !
I’m checking now on what power supply you use or might recommend or anyone else as I’ve been told with the small batteries in these trucks having the battery on a charger is highly suggested. Wondering if a minimum amperage needed or what not while updating 1,2,3 hours at a time….

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Yeah I am honestly as I read more and more threads of disappointment for OTA updates thinking of just investing in the FDRS route. Not what I want to do, nor should I have to but frankly my dealer is a joke and Ford clearly isn't getting their act together any time soon.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thank you !
I’m checking now on what power supply you use or might recommend or anyone else as I’ve been told with the small batteries in these trucks having the battery on a charger is highly suggested. Wondering if a minimum amperage needed or what not while updating 1,2,3 hours at a time….
Any power supply 40amp or more will work. Just make sure it has a power supply mode and not just a battery charger.

Yeah I am honestly as I read more and more threads of disappointment for OTA updates thinking of just investing in the FDRS route. Not what I want to do, nor should I have to but frankly my dealer is a joke and Ford clearly isn't getting their act together any time soon.
The thing is, it is Ford's responsibility to provide those updates and not the dealer's. Ford does not pay them to do module updates and nobody likes to work for free, so dealers will almost never be of help. It sucks.....I know.

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Any power supply 40amp or more will work. Just make sure it has a power supply mode and not just a battery charger.

The thing is, it is Ford's responsibility to provide those updates and not the dealer's. Ford does not pay them to do module updates and nobody likes to work for free, so dealers will almost never be of help. It sucks.....I know.
I understand that, and while I don't expect them to do software updates because my anxiety has FOMO, I would like them to take me serious when I say my dash randomly tells me to put my hands on the steering wheel driving 30 mph without cruise control on. :crackup:
Sponsored